President/Uniden Lincoln information.

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
harakiri

President/Uniden Lincoln information.

Post by harakiri »

Hi all friends.
I am on the lookout to get myself a Lincoln,again. The thing is I would want to know what to look for to get the best possible version I could. I myself know nothing about all these "mk1 / 2" and so on,which one is the best and how to distinguish between them etc...

What country should it have been produced in? Or maybe it is only what to avoid. Am I far off with thinking I remember at least 3 different countries its produced in,Taiwan (R.O.C) ,Phillipines and maybe Thailand,and the last one being a version to avoid?

And for now,a last question on my mind is how about President HR2510 and Uniden HR2510 (is this correct?),from what I understand this is the same radio,just pre-Lincoln and "President" name?

Sorry I might be mostly wrong on everything,but thats why I`d like the opinions on these radios to flow.

-H-
Eh..Its time.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Re: President/Uniden Lincoln information.

Post by cb4ever104 »

I think the general consensus is that the mk1 Lincoln is better . There are various small differences in some of these older models . Some minor aesthetic , and some internal . The HR2510 is the same radio . And so is the Uniden 2830 . I had to replace all the electrolytics on the last 2830 that I had , so I wouldn't buy another as they're beginning to show their age . I'm pretty sure that the last production run of the Lincoln came out of the Philippines , but to be honest I've never had a problem with any of them . Just try and find one that has been well kept and you should have any problems .

Sammy
30TM060
Paul aka "Sammy". (108) PY60 Old Paisley DX Group (RIP Rab Markie)
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Handle "Fortune Hunter" back in "the day"
Radios ....? Anything that says "TAIWAN R.O.C" on the back.
harakiri

Post by harakiri »

Hi there Sammy.
Thanks a lot for the great info. I see I was off on the model name for the Uniden version,which was on my mind when I wrote "2510" on both,but a little to lazy in the night to check online to figure out,and I knew people here would understand what I meant anyway.

Mk1 it is then,but its a shame that most of the adds on ebay or so does not say anything about being mk1,in fact cant remember last time I saw an add having this info in there. On the visual;do you mean the different in "colorful buttons" vs "grey buttons" ? Or maybe I ask if the non-colorful versions is the mk1 ?

Nice to see you again Sammy btw.

-h
Eh..Its time.
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

Hi h .

The mk II is a completely different radio m8 .

http://www.president-electronics.com/en ... EF=TXSE041

There was a very long thread on it on here when it first came out . There's been a few modifications made to it by President due to bad design . I think we're still on V3 .

As I say . I haven't heard many people say good things about it . At the end of the day it's up to you . Do a search for it on the forum and you'll get more opinions .

Cheers !

S.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Have a look out on ebay France or ebay Germany for Mk1 Lincolns.

They pop up quite often and tend to be cheaper than over here in the UK.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
NUBSTER
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26TM545

Post by NUBSTER »

This is a Mk1 Lincoln harakiri , so you know what to look for , this is my one ,
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello

Please look at this post for sale from Astradyne Michel

http://www.transmission1.eu/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=50792

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

14CS06 wrote:Hello

@+
Claude
The one with 'NOW SOLD' on it in huge red letters?
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
harakiri

Post by harakiri »

Ah.. thanks friends. I`ve had the President Lincoln before. Thought it was two (or more) versions of the first ones. The "new" one I always just called Lincoln 2,and I am of course not at all much interested in that model,like I would not be for the Grant 2 or Jackson 2..

Ah..so now am less worried,I would just be looking for a nice,clean model of the "old" one I had around 20 years ago.

Nice girl/lady NUBSTER..Nice to see it in such a nice shape. Looking forward to finding one nice one myself.

Sammy, thanks so much. I seem to remember that the board in the Lincoln II was used in other similar "data-programmed" radios out there,like maybe a newer crt/superstar,or was it another one,being way off now am I? Also thought that at least one of those other data-programmed radios was cheeper and had better reputation than the Lincoln II had... maybe I am off track now.. My memory is not the best.. Anyway,after I got a K-po dx 5000 (Maas etc..) version 5,which run into some ssb problems in year 2,the newer types of radios got on my bad side.. hehe.. Think the Maas now is on version 6,and I am not sure how that went..

Back to topic though.. What I thought was that the President Lincoln as NUBSTER posted pics of had its share of "versions" too.. and this was by the "pros" talked about as mk1 and 2.. I just wanted to get updated before I purchased one if I found a nice looking one.

Simon, yes I`ve seen some from Germany.. It looks like I need to expect to use at least 200++ € for a good looking one.. Which is around what I payed 20 years ago for the same radio (that radio was not bad looking,but had been a bit abused.).. But money was more worth back then,and in my country the Lincoln was not often on the second hand marked so this drove prices up..
One on ebay now,from Germany is at 275 €,but to me that one seems overpriced. Italy has one,Slovenia one and a cheeper one in Spain.. Not many there now..

Nice info you guys. Love it.

-h
Eh..Its time.
harakiri

Post by harakiri »

14CS06 wrote:Hello

@+
Claude
Hi there Claude.
Nice to see you again btw.

I did see it,but I was "late to the party". When I saw it,"SOLD" in red was all over it as "admiral" also mentioned..
But I am thinking of putting up my own little add in the "Wanted" section.. Maybe there are someone that just don`t know they want to part away with a classic Lincoln to a fellow passionate radio friend... or maybe they have several laying around.. A man can wish.. hehe..

-h
Eh..Its time.
14CS06
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by 14CS06 »

Hello

Sorry I did not see

@+
Claude
Photo Collector CB RADIO
highvoltageuk
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: GM7TMW

Post by highvoltageuk »

From what i remember the later lincoln MK 1 changed the main output MRF477 transistor as the older MRF455 transistors became obsolite

http://www.radioaficion.com/HamNews/art ... istor.html
Colt 1600DX[/color]
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

highvoltageuk wrote:From what i remember the later lincoln MK 1 changed the main output MRF477 transistor as the older MRF455 transistors became obsolite

http://www.radioaficion.com/HamNews/art ... istor.html
I think it was the other way around. They began using the MRF455 after the MRF477 became obsolete. These are very easy to spot as an adaptor board was fitted to accommodate the 455 (the same was done on the very late Jackson's).

Yes, the Lincoln I posted for sale went to Dom in PX for the NOS Cobra. It was a particularly good Lincoln too.

I do have another Lincoln, but that's in the same condition as the Cobra I got off Dom and won't be going anywhere. I have a Philippines 2830 which is, again, like new. Then there's the HR2600. Branded Uniden on the box but President on the radio. These look exactly the same as the Lincoln, but have a different PCB and are more difficult to modify for 11 metres. They also have split frequency shift for repeater operation.

Finally, the HTX100, this sort of edges into the Lincoln family. USB and CW modes only and a different design to the fascia, but still very Lincoln like. This model boasts ten memory channels.

I know. I've probably confused matters further...
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
cb4ever104
Legend
Legend

Post by cb4ever104 »

astradyne wrote:I think it was the other way around. They began using the MRF455 after the MRF477 became obsolete. These are very easy to spot as an adaptor board was fitted to accommodate the 455 (the same was done on the very late Jackson's).
Yeah . that's right . That's what I meant by internal changes in my original reply . Same thing happened to the 6 band Jackson . 477 to 455 .

Sammy
Last edited by cb4ever104 on 15 May 2016, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
30TM060
Ex GM0 , now EA5 .
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

The one I have is an earlier MRF477 version, and it is a cracking radio. It has probably the best SSB recieve of any radio I have had...
Cosmetically it isn't the best, but then that means I am not afraid to use it in case it gets damaged.
I paid £80 for it from evil bay France.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.