Base antenna

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Grey Dolphin
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 163NLG48

Base antenna

Post by Grey Dolphin »

Hiya Everyone.

Been looking around for a new antenna to get my hobby up & running again i have a choice between the Sirio gpe 27 5/8 wave or the gain master . Most seem to go for the gain master but hoping on some opinions who have used both ..I am pretty high up here on the coast so that will help i hope

Also would like to ask what are the best poles to use now & brackets & where can i buy them from. I hope to have the antenna up by next weekend if i can find someone to put it up for me .

Thank you Nikki
Phoenix
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Base antenna

Post by Phoenix »

Hi there Nikki great to hear your starting again.Well i have had both and still use the Gainmaster (slightly better performance) You dont say were you want to put the new twig but i would suggest an old Aluminium scaffold pole cut to the size you need but no less that 10 feet (this pole size will protect the base section of the new twig in high winds on that hill) If its the side of your house you will need strong T-K Brackets x 2 with holes and mast clamps big enough to accept the 2" Aluminium pole. Make sure the brackets are well fitted to the wall and the wall is in good shape.If you are ground mounting the twig you would need to dig a 1 meter square cube hole and stick an over size pipe in the wet concrete into the pipe you slide your newly aquired Aluminium pole with twig ontop, the pole will need guy ropes if its over 10 feet long (some can 20 feet long)
If you get stuck just ask good luck with the install and getting back on air let us all know how you get on.
26TM114
Grey Dolphin
Regular
Regular

Post by Grey Dolphin »

Hiya Phoenix

Thank you for the great info..I have now decided to get the gain master it will be going on the side of the house near the back to hide it as much as i can. I was thinking of a 12ft pole with 1 k bracket at top 1 k bracket on bottom & a t bracket in middle with anchor bolts as being on coast the wind is a factor here all neighbours say its fine just waiting on landlord now..
clive

Post by clive »

Hi Nikki and welcome to TM1,

You wont go far wrong with the Gainmaster, I have had one in the air for several years and it has worked flawlessly.

Tried several aerials, and it was a toss up between the Gainmaster and the 827 as to which was best for me. Not a lot in it tbh, just your preference.

Clive
rocket
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M0ROC

Post by rocket »

The Sirio 2016 is a favourite of mine and a good alternative to the 827 with today's seemingly ever increasing wind speeds. The 2016 is not as well known as the 827 but still basically the same antenna with 16 radials @ 27 inches (700mm) each as opposed to the 827 which has 8 radials 54 inches (1400mm)

Much less impact both visually and wind loading on the radials due to them being half the length.
73 de Mark
M0ROC, 26HB896, 26TM896
M0LGC (Letchworth Garden City Amateur Radio Society)
Flightradar24 live feed: T-EGGW38 via AirNav RadarBox 3D
NightProwler
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 163TM186

Post by NightProwler »

Ive been using a Gainmaster for the last few years, It takes a battering and works a treat, Slighty better than my old 827 and covers 26MHZ to 30MHZ no problem with a perfect SWR. Plug and play antenna. If mine broke I would buy another straight away.
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
hamslice

Post by hamslice »

Gainmaster plug n play
Grey Dolphin
Regular
Regular

Post by Grey Dolphin »

Thanks for all the reply's.

Yes gain master it is just waiting for the landlord to say yes . He wants to do some research first (what ever that is) before he allows it my guess is planning permission etc. All my neighbours have said go right ahead we have no problem at all so fingers crossed i hear soon..