President Grant II Comes New Again

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: President Grant II Comes New Again

Post by delboyonline »

Warden wrote:
delboyonline wrote:Has anyone with a Grant 2 tweaked the output power? Which coil/pot do you adjust?

My radio is putting out exactly what it should be but a friends radio is only putting out 3 watts on the UK40 on FM with 3.5 watts EU40 on FM.
RT204 (AMP) It will adjust both AM/FM power.

Cheers for that!
PoisoN
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by PoisoN »

well just had mine on a dummy load for the first time and found something very interesting! bang on 4 watts for FM but only 5watts SSB !! yes you read right 5 WHISKYS ssb, :shock: :o :?

Never realised as im using a linear had to tweak the amc and alc to get close to 12 watts i know another guy on here reported low SSB power! well looks like in some the powers been turned down for the UK market. {bnghd}

Mines swinging and winning now! :D
26-TM-266
Handle PoisoN
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

The one I've just done was reaching 10w on ssb so I just left it be as the owner also uses a small linear which only takes about 10w input.
PoisoN
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by PoisoN »

Well that was max on a whistle! i was only getting about 1 watt talk power!
26-TM-266
Handle PoisoN
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

PoisoN wrote:Well that was max on a whistle! i was only getting about 1 watt talk power!

That does seem very low!
PoisoN
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by PoisoN »

its swinging like a mofo now mate first shout got a call back and a friend gave me a check a few miles away sounding awsome! it was bearly driving my linear before.
26-TM-266
Handle PoisoN
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

Yep low, whistle is around 10 Watts maybe slightly less runs fine into a 203 :D
Can't help but love an Adams.

andrew013
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT013

Post by andrew013 »

I get 6 watts on a whistle from one grant2 and 8 watts on my other one and both are working the states no probs at all
on air,tyne&wear,northumberland,durham,holy island,eu120+eu124 and anywhere from gateshead/north wales
scrap uk 40 give cbers L/M/Hcalling on 27.355/555 usb qsy 27.015 lsb/410 usb cb radio is for life not just for profits
i do cb radio not 11mtres,countrys worked 2015 with imax 2000 72
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26PS001

Post by ChelseaCat »

andrew233 wrote:I get 6 watts on a whistle from one grant2 and 8 watts on my other one and both are working the states no probs at all
Not good that though, surely they should be set up to do what it says on the box, goes to show they have not been set up well from the factory...

I dont own one but with all this reading I would say President have really let themselves down on these last two radios they released, new models of great radios should be an improvement on the old ones. :o
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

ChelseaCat wrote:
andrew233 wrote:I get 6 watts on a whistle from one grant2 and 8 watts on my other one and both are working the states no probs at all
Not good that though, surely they should be set up to do what it says on the box, goes to show they have not been set up well from the factory...

I dont own one but with all this reading I would say President have really let themselves down on these last two radios they released, new models of great radios should be an improvement on the old ones. :o
My Grant 2 is spot on 4 watts AM/FM and 12 watts SSB.

However a friends Grant 2 was 3 watts AM/FM and 10 watts SSB.

Luckily it is very easy to put this right. Not a major problem with the radio thats for sure and if you're sticking it into a linear you wont notice the difference anyway!
ChelseaCat
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26PS001

Post by ChelseaCat »

delboyonline wrote:
ChelseaCat wrote:

My Grant 2 is spot on 4 watts AM/FM and 12 watts SSB.

However a friends Grant 2 was 3 watts AM/FM and 10 watts SSB.

Luckily it is very easy to put this right. Not a major problem with the radio thats for sure and if you're sticking it into a linear you wont notice the difference anyway!
But sending it out like that is not good though even if it is an easy fix, opening these radios to put them how they should be could could validate the warranty. I still say the grant looks the better of the two but Im really surprised at president.
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

I agree they should at least all be the same!

However the Grant 2 is still a very good radio, one of the best that has appeared on the market in the past few years.
Stronty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stronty »

Knights did the tweaks as part of the sale.
Can't help but love an Adams.

PoisoN
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by PoisoN »

No thats not good because it wont run that at actual talk power trust me mine didnt i was getting around 1w of swing just talking on a whistle it was barely hitting 5w you'll only see small peaks, you want it hovering between 8-12 watts talk power at least.
26-TM-266
Handle PoisoN
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend

Post by Mudslinger »

Has anyone got a Grant 2 that was supplied by Knights with the export switch fitted?

The reason I ask is that there is one on ebay which is alleged to have had the export switch fitted by them. The way it has been done without moving the serial number decal looks dreadful.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRESIDENT-GRA ... 417e7f9eb7
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.