Anybody got a President Taylor III adivise/opinion needed?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Anon

Post by Anon »

simonthewizard wrote:So yes does all multi-norms, but not via menu. It cannot handle it on the board sadly :oops:
I was reading back through the thread last night and though i havnt actually handled a Taylor it makes sence afterall what would you press to select the multi options?

the volume does what it says,as does the squelch,and the channel select that leaves the switch for asc on the squelch(that explains itself) and finally the am/fm button which does exactly that or uk/cept on uk versions!

And theres nothing on the rear panel as ive seen the owners manual :wink:

so it obvious your right simon :wink:

anyhoo heres the manual for anybody who wants to look

taylor II
http://www.servicedocs.com/ARTIKELEN/7200221180001.pdf

Taylor III
http://www.servicedocs.com/ARTIKELEN/7200221180002.pdf

Huggz
Jodie :)

Post by Guest »

so it obvious your right simon
The word multi-norm covers many sins, it is indeed All European Norms as they say, but they cannot be selected all at the same time like with the newer Walker, Johnson II and Intek range. Indeed you are correct, it is a basic radio, as i keep saying almost the same as the Uniden 100 and cannot handle 400 channels export, it is not programmed for it. Just the 120, low,mid,hi and when you look it covers these bands in various forms anyways.

Cut the resistor and change the config, thats all that can be done, nothing more and thats it........
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy »

Just so everyone knows where I got my information from:
Email to Truck King

Hi Richard, Can you give me some details on the PRESIDENT TAYLOR III ASC MULTI-BAND CB radio you are selling for ?109? Specifically, is it a multi-regional model, settable by button switches - or do you need to mod (snip, solder or jumper) the inside to change the band (country) allocation? Can you give me an indication as to why it is so expensive compared to other (apparently) equivalent CB radios? It's getting talked about quite a lot on the forums and you seem to be the only UK retailer.
Email from Truck King

Hello Jon, the Taylor 3 is the normal multiband type where the user selects the country of use, no wires etc to remove.
I believe it can also further expand to 400 channels but this then removes the normal EU bands. The radio would then have to be switched to go between EU and export mode.
Given this would probably also void the warranty and that most users of this type of radio just want the UKs and mids, not much point in further expansion.
The price reflects the Uniden factory build quality really, the radio is quite basic as regards features but I guess if the original Uniden 100 was around nowadays it would have a similiar price tag.
There are certainly radios from other manufacturers around which have a lot more bells and whistles in this price range although their reliability and build standard don't always match up to President / Uniden product.
I guess it's the users choice between flashing blue lights, egg timer type models or a more basic classic style radio.
As for the Taylor II, I have no idea of it's capabilities beyond the published specifications and have made no previous comment on it's capabilities.

Post by Guest »

Just telephoned to be total sure the importer here STABO and they told me, needs resistors to be cut for other bands and the radios are pre cut before selling to the end user and in Germnay would be 80 channels, 40+40uk and 40AM/FM for the Polish market and this makes it multi norm, and is not like Johnson II or Walker that is user selectable.

Thats the Taylor III ASC model, difference is the ASC being 3rd generation and the colour she told me. And there is no mention in the manual how to change it, pages 28 onwards as it cannot do it.. I have one here sat on the table, was direct for tests from President and i was asked what band i wanted it to work before was sent as needs to be done to order.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

I emailed Richard at Truck King and asked him to physically examine one of the radios he has and he does now agree with you. The paperwork he received stated they were multi-regional and he took them at their word. When in fact they are only 'multi-regional' by internal modification.

So, for the record: They are not button settable (as Simon very correctly stated), but require internal modification for anything beyond UK/EU channels.

Should never have doubted you Simon.
Anon

Post by Anon »

simonthewizard wrote:The difference between the II Classic and the III is the colour black and the third generation of ASC, that is all. It is cut in Balaruc for the market it is sold, ie UK,DE,PL and is not a multinorm where you select the bands. The board is basically the common Uniden 100 and the export features are 120 channels AM,FM from low to high.

I have a Taylor III Classic here and makes the UK40 and CEPT by use of the AM/FM button and for the export you need to be inside and cut a resistor etc etc. Here enclosed is the pdf of the mod for those that want to see it correctly.

So yes does all multi-norms, but not via menu. It cannot handle it on the board sadly :oops:

And i told about Taylor II as was mentioned earlier in the thread :roll:
Simon ive tried to download the file but its empty :cry:
ive got acrobat and it is working so dont know what the problem is?
can you try reposting the link?

By the way if in 120 channel mode its capable of doing both am/fm then it would be the nearest modern day rig to my old colt 444 :D

Methinks ill end up getting one :wink:
eventually :(

Huggz

Post by Guest »

pm your email address and will send it to you

Thanks for the information Jon, thanks indeed :) Just happy that have not gone bananas

Post by Guest »

Last edited by Guest on 29 May 2008, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

simonthewizard wrote:http://www.servicedocs.com/zoek/download.asp?key=4804

Sorry, here is the link
Hi Simon
ive pm,d you my email but just tried that link on here and that one works for me :wink:
To be honest i think in time i will go for a taylor III asc but ill probably get a cheapy 2nd 40 for now from ebay or something?

If i wanted to do other bands id get a jackson or something the only mod id like to do to a UK version is open up the am option so i can listen to am skip on cept 40 :wink:

i wonder if that is possible? can i keep the set uk40/cept 40 uk spec but add a switch to switch between am/fm?

I went away from radio for quite some time but i getting back into this again all this talk of export mods etc,i may be a girl but i do like my gadgets :wink:

Huggz
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

Have you looked at the President Walker (latest version without annoying beep)?

It's got a lot more buttons and dials, but can do what you want for about ?10 less than the Taylor.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Guzzy wrote:Have you looked at the President Walker (latest version without annoying beep)?

It's got a lot more buttons and dials, but can do what you want for about ?10 less than the Taylor.
Hmmm replied to that but it never posted :(
The walker has a fake type electronic channel selector whereas the taylor has a mechanical one doesnt it?

Can the bleep be disabled completely mabe simon knows? Nudge Nudge :wink: :wink:

I know other radios have had key beep that can be stopped by just cutting a jumper?

Post by Guest »

New Walkers have the bleep you can stop, and not the earlier ones

turn on the radio with the DN button pressed, this kills it (cost 30,000$) in costs to impliment the change

Alan 121 has the same annoying noise, needs resistor cut near the cpu and then its silent
Anon

Post by Anon »

Just been looking at simons youtube vids :)
Maybe he could do a little vid on the taylor he has for us?
Lets see a taylor in action?
Pweese simon pwetty pweese :wink:

Huggz
Jodie:)
Anon

Post by Anon »

simonthewizard wrote:New Walkers have the bleep you can stop, and not the earlier ones

turn on the radio with the DN button pressed, this kills it (cost 30,000$) in costs to impliment the change

Alan 121 has the same annoying noise, needs resistor cut near the cpu and then its silent
I meant the channel beep on the taylor can that be killed?

Post by Guest »

Same principle as with the Walker, ask the dealer to check the same routine TURN ON and press DN same time. Newer can be killed

I try make a video when i can, at the moment have some others to do but will do my best