Anybody got a President Taylor III adivise/opinion needed?

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Anon

Anybody got a President Taylor III adivise/opinion needed?

Post by Anon »

Hiya
im new here i used to be on cb wayyy back when :wink:
Anyhoo i was thinking about getting another to put in a campervan were getting and i spied the new President taylor III on ebay.

I did try to return to cb in the 90,s and bought a cobra 25 but wasnt impressed :(
As i put it the radio didnt have a "REAL" clickety mechanical channel select and i hated it :cry:

I also noted at that time that it was slow to key up too,i also remember a friends new midland had that problem too :(

so im looking for a radio with a proper s meter,proper clickety channel select,and that keys immeadiatly :wink:

Id like to get a president taylor III but has anybody else got one?
I know it has up/down buttons but is the channel select a proper mechanical one? Or one of those sad fake ones that jumps channels and dont really click :cry: ?

Does this radio key up right away? and is there anyway to disable the key bleep(that would drive me nutz!!!)

finally will it do multiband like a lot of the others?
And i dont just mean one or two,nudge nudge,wink wink :lol:

Thanks in advance
Huggz
Jodie :)

P.S. i did contact truck king via email but it appears they dont want my bussiness? as they never bothered replying :x

RE: Anybody got a President Taylor III adivise/opinion neede

Post by Guest »

Does this radio key up right away? and is there anyway to disable the key bleep(that would drive me nutz!!!)
Hi Jodie

Welcome to the forum and will do my best to answer some of the questions for you.

The Tayler III is basically an updated Uniden 100 with an automatic squelch. The banding is controlled by resistors, so when you get it in the UK it will work on muppets (2760125-2799125) and move the switch to AM and you get the mids (26965-27405) AND THATS YOUR LOT.

Extra Channels, when in export it does rU A,B,C 26515-27855 BUT NOT WHEN ALREADY DELIVERED, so not worth the hassle really.

Radio keys up straight away indeed, thats sure! And to kill the bleep turn on the radio with the DN button pressed and its silenced (check with dealer, earlier tayler III did not loose its bleep)

Channel button is the same as the Uniden 100, it is robust and click, click sure

How is that? Anything else please just ask

Simon
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

RE: Anybody got a President Taylor III adivise/opinion neede

Post by Guzzy »

Welcome to the website. :D

Regarding Truck King, if at first you don't succeed (check you sent it to the right email address) and try again.

Might be worth giving them a phone call instead?
Anon

Post by Anon »

Thanks Simon
ive just gotta pursuade the other half to let me have one now :wink:
Its years since i was on the air my last ditch attempt was doing the foundation but the amateur bands bored the knicks off me :lol:

I was sick of mike keyers just wanted nice chats but found amateur radio too serious for my liking i like my radio light hearted :D

well as i said were planning on getting a camper van and a classic mini too and i keep seeing cb,s in feature cars in the mini magazines so thought id give it a try again :wink:

ive moved since i last used cb i used to hail from merseyside but im now in wiltshire so hoping theres not as many dipsticks on air as there were in merseyside?

I allways wanted a little unden 100 the nearest i ever had was the realistic one that looked like it,cant remember the number though?

everytime ive got off the air ive had to buy secondhand tat to get back on air to get something decent :cry:

i guessed if i was going to buy something new the little president was the way to go?
has anybody got a direct email for truck king?
i just filled in the online queery form thingy which didnt seem to work :(

Thanks
Huggz
Jodie :)
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

Phone: 01636 676898

or buy direct: TK ebay link for item

I don't work for Truck King, so you will need to send my commission on this direct to me. ;-) :lol:
jazzsinger
Banned
Banned

Post by jazzsinger »

the harry 2 asc or classic might be a good alternative,its a great small radio and you can get the up/dn mic as an option for it.as may the walker,i suspect as the channel change can be driven from the mic on the taylor its similar too the harry which although is a solid click mechanism it does occasionally jump channels like all channel selectors or in the lincolns case pseudo vfo knobs off this kind,although i must admit the taylor 3 is nice but i preferred the silver taylor 2 myself,almost identical to a uniden 100.
Banned Account
Anon

Post by Anon »

jazzsinger wrote:although i must admit the taylor 3 is nice but i preferred the silver taylor 2 myself,almost identical to a uniden 100.
Me Too!

I would much prefer the taylor II but nobody seems to sell them in the uk :cry:

Post by Guest »

Drop an email to Marijke [email protected] and see what they have to say? Maybe they can tell you who sells them or if they sell them?

I know in France they have them, although the config is different. Remember that they are not "true" multi-eu norm these radios. YES they can make all the EU norms but are governed by resistors and these are cut when the radios are sold to the specific market. SO, not real multi norms sadly
jdo330
Regular
Regular

Post by jdo330 »

This radio also caught my eye, I didnt even know it existed until a couple of days ago.

However, im confused as to if it is "Multi norm" or not. Truck Kings web site says it is (as per the link above) but I also noted Simon's comments above.

Does it operate all the same channels as the Harry 2 ASC for example?

Its also a little strange that there only appears to be one retailer in the UK selling it, why? Its a lovely looking rig with the right name on it. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance, Jon.
jazzsinger
Banned
Banned

Post by jazzsinger »

the only thing your missing is its price Jon,at ?109 it just doesn't offer the pound/feature value that the harry 2 asc/classic or walker offer,although to be fair to richard his price is very competitive when you compare it to the prices in euro's foreign shops are asking for the taylor.why its more expensive than sets by the same manufacturer with more features is a mystery but it must be president that are charging more wholesale because all shops in europe that stock it have it more expensive than the other two.if it was in the ?70 price bracket you would expect for such a basic set it would sell like hotcakes with its similarity too the uniden 100/audioline 340 sets.

its capable of doing 120 ch like the harry,but as simon says to get it to do different multi norms means removing/replacing internal resistors and it is limited to one channel plan at a time.wheras the harry and walker can both do it externally although they also have to be modded internally for 120ch on the harry and 400ch on the walker and all lose the multi norms when modded unless you do it via a switch or relay.

maybe someone can shed light on why its more expensive than the other two.could be down to component costs.if i'm not mistaken it uses leaded components where the other two are surface mounted components.although i only had a bad quality taylor 2 schematic to compare with.the taylor 3 might be surface mount also.
Banned Account
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

jdo330 wrote:This radio also caught my eye, I didnt even know it existed until a couple of days ago.

However, im confused as to if it is "Multi norm" or not. Truck Kings web site says it is (as per the link above) but I also noted Simon's comments above.

Does it operate all the same channels as the Harry 2 ASC for example?

Its also a little strange that there only appears to be one retailer in the UK selling it, why? Its a lovely looking rig with the right name on it. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance, Jon.
According to TK it really is a push button (European) Multi-regional model. No internal modification required for this.

The internal mod makes it a permanent 400 channel wide open jobbie (no way back without re-soldering bits).

Post by Guest »

The Tayler II is controlled by resistors inside, and is not multi norm as get all the channels. Just the banding that it is cut for.

Example, bought here works band DE
bought in Poland, works PL

NOT user selectable multi-EU like intek and the like

For this you need Johnson II or Walker

Export mode is rU a,b and c

26515-27855 and loose all the legal settings as another resistor has been cut to enable the export channels
Anon

Post by Anon »

simonthewizard wrote:Drop an email to Marijke [email protected] and see what they have to say? Maybe they can tell you who sells them or if they sell them?
Thanks simon ive emailed them havnt heard anything as yet :(
dont get me wrong i like the harry and from what ive read its really easy to make them do am in countrys there not supposed to by cutting one link and joining up a couple of pads :wink:

But im just smitten by the look of the taylor
though i must admit i like the look of the Taylor II moreso
it really does remind me of the early days :D
that really does look sweet in silver n chrome :wink:

And lets face it we did without asc before ive never had it so wouldnt miss it!!!
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

simonthewizard wrote:The Tayler II is controlled by resistors inside, and is not multi norm as get all the channels. Just the banding that it is cut for.

Example, bought here works band DE
bought in Poland, works PL

NOT user selectable multi-EU like intek and the like

For this you need Johnson II or Walker

Export mode is rU a,b and c

26515-27855 and loose all the legal settings as another resistor has been cut to enable the export channels
Hi Simon,

Are we talking about the same radio?

You mention the Taylor II (classic?)

The one referred to in this thread is the Taylor III ASC model.

TK were quite specific that the Taylor III ASC (the one they sell) can be switched in multi-regional mode by simple button push.

The 400 channel mod requires the tweaking inside and is not reversible (without further tweaking).

Bear in mind I haven't even seen one in the flesh, so I'm only going by what I've been told specifically after asking the question by Truck King.

I don't believe Truck King actually sell the Taylor II (Classic), although I could be wrong...

Post by Guest »

The difference between the II Classic and the III is the colour black and the third generation of ASC, that is all. It is cut in Balaruc for the market it is sold, ie UK,DE,PL and is not a multinorm where you select the bands. The board is basically the common Uniden 100 and the export features are 120 channels AM,FM from low to high.

I have a Taylor III Classic here and makes the UK40 and CEPT by use of the AM/FM button and for the export you need to be inside and cut a resistor etc etc. Here enclosed is the pdf of the mod for those that want to see it correctly.

So yes does all multi-norms, but not via menu. It cannot handle it on the board sadly :oops:

And i told about Taylor II as was mentioned earlier in the thread :roll: