The legend that is the COBRA 2000 GTL

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Re: The legend that is the COBRA 2000 GTL

Post by Oggy »

mof000 wrote:A clean one here for sale:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-COBRA ... 46122215d9
You know ya want it!!! 8)
You do try and make me bankrupt Moff......
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

Oggy wrote:
mof000 wrote:A clean one here for sale:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-COBRA ... 46122215d9
You know ya want it!!! 8)
You do try and make me bankrupt Moff......
Haaaa,you know it makes sense!!!
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)
Samalex
Call Sign: MM0

Post by Samalex »

i have watched this and a few others in the usa but my only concerns is transit. Some of these sets go high in the last few hours and not uncommon to sell for 4-600 dollars.

One of these days i will take my chance as they are very rare in Europe to see for sale. Last one i heard of was painted black and had a multimode II inside it with no freq read out done by a cowboy was gutted
George EI7KO
Call Sign: EI7KO

Post by George EI7KO »

Be interesting to see what that one ends up going for. Guess im lucky I already got one. ..
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Post by Ashtec »

Well wouldn't say there a legend over here in leicestershire ;)
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

Samalex

Post by Samalex »

pity about the mod to aux but does look good but expensive when you take into account od delivery and import
:(

I see quiet a few good looking ones but put of with the extra cost to import
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

Samalex wrote:pity about the mod to aux but does look good but expensive when you take into account od delivery and import
:(

I see quiet a few good looking ones but put of with the extra cost to import
Mine came through with no import charges!
George EI7KO

Post by George EI7KO »

Nice one. A great rig
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

Anybody after one without import charges? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131414036655? ... EBIDX%3AIT

the translation for the listing:- Offered is the COBRA 2000 GTL in a unique probe design . It was rebuilt so modified and restored. By nature, a thoroughbred export device that was originally operated with 120 volts AC 60 Hz or 13.8 volts DC. After the conversion, it can now be directly operated at 230 volts AC at the home network or continue with 13.8 volts DC. It is brought up to date . For example, are precautionary old electrolytics replaced with new and " looked right " after . Thus, at the power input of highly effective EMC Suppression line filter (plug and filter integrated) installed . A lot of little detail that make this wonderful device -quality still and bring great practical benefits. This unique piece is the current CB needs tuned (performance, SSB , number of channels , supply voltage . ... ) And thus proves the more exclusive character . The modifications are VDE compliant and expertly executed ( No wild tinkering !). Instead of only 40 channels now she has 2 x 40 channels . Both benches , one can switch with a switch on the front panel . In addition to the channel display (right) has a frequency display with integrated clock and timer function . So you can keep the clock running even when switched off and can switch the unit to an adjustable alarm time. Quasi wake you up with the CB radio . An almost dreamlike imagination. It is recalibrated , disinfected and cleaned. Unfortunately, the ravages of time also has the surface on the front panel nibbled a little over the decades their characters. It should not conceal the traces used on the front panel . Who asks around in circles radio , it quickly a lot of praise and respect about this radio is generally hear . "It is the ultimate best CB radio on the AM SSB sector " . The technique of damailigen time was really impressive. With the current modifications and the state , it may be many years in operation, or be kept in a beautiful Vitriene as a collector's item. As surely would soon have a new collector's heart to call this transceiver his own. See photos. Also included is the original microphone and the power cord.

All for £260 plus postage!
Samalex

Post by Samalex »

if only it was in better condition :(

meter needs repaired and the dents and markings on the case is dissapointing front plate buckled too expensive at that price.
George EI7KO

Post by George EI7KO »

Samalex wrote:if only it was in better condition :(

meter needs repaired and the dents and markings on the case is dissapointing front plate buckled too expensive at that price.

Dear. But easy fixes. The meter has just fallen out of its holder, probably as the lighting plate is missing. The front plate lifting is a common problem on the 2000 and easily fixed with some gorilla glue or similar. Id be more concerned with seeing if the counter works and how the channel mods have been performed i.e. that its not been hacked to death on the inside. Personally id put it back to stock and do all the service bullitens and slap a Lescomm board in there and unlock the clarifier. Great rig the 2k :thumbup: :thumbup:
Samalex

Post by Samalex »

yes simple fix to most and if you want to put decals on then it would be decent but not at that price lol. Counter looks to be ok in pics but still easy enough to fix or replace.
Not a fan of unlocking the clarifier it has the coarse that was fine for me. I wouldnt use it it would just be a show piece and a bit of my youth lol

Its a rig i used in the 80`s i wished i had kept! One of the better rigs with charater in my eyes :)
George EI7KO

Post by George EI7KO »

Even the coarse on the 2k is rx only. I don't mind unlocked clarifiers. No drama on that score. It is dear given the condition it's in. But they are getting hard to get hold of nowadays...
Samalex

Post by Samalex »

ok on rx only mine must have been unlocked. The coarse went 6 or so down and up on tx and the fine only worked on rx. So in that case yes would need unlocked.

all the ones in EU ive seen for sale in last year were over priced due to the condition. If it hadnt the pitted and buclkled front i would have went for it as the rest is fixable