A Yeticom Optima mk3 question.

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

A Yeticom Optima mk3 question.

Post by g0slq »

Has everyone had issues with the low output audio on FM and SSB with these sets? - it does seem a common theme on several forums and google searches.

Thanks to those I have PM'd but there is conflicting findings out there. Some have increased deviation and solved the problem. Some have switched to an Icom hand mic and this has solved the issue. Others have tried this and NOT been able to resolve the low output.

Yeticom themselves advise the v3 is set to 2.5k deviation for FM, but without exception people are having to increase their talk power with this set.

Anyhow, I did discover the mk1 Optima began life as a Jopix, but then mk2 and now Mk3 are a completely different board - the only thing in common with the Jopix/Magnum 257 etc. is the case.

Anyway, I'm waffling. Basically, does anyone else have any perceived low audio issues with the Yeticom Optima. I refer only to the latest mk3 version. I know Radiozing supplies them via his site/eBay site. I'm awaiting a reply from him on this very issue.
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Re: A Yeticom Optima mk3 question.

Post by northern35s »

I had an Albrecht AE485S that was poorly set up on FM, however as SSB is my primary mode it didn't bother me too much, I also had the Realistic variant, but didn't even use it on the FM section of 10m, so I've no idea if that suffers the same.

As for the Jopix having a completely diferent board, is that an evidence based statement eg. seen a schematic and different board, or is it what you've ben told, the reason I ask is because the receive spec is identical to the myriad of makes and models sharing the same chassis/format, the only difference I've seen with the PA is a variance in output, surely if it was a completely different board that have put some effort into actually altering it's performance?

Genuine interest by the way, I'd really like to know what sets is apart from a £140 Jopix :?
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
JibberJabber
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by JibberJabber »

I had what was supposed to be a MK3 from Radiozing..........Although at the time according to Yeticom the MK3 had not been finalised.... ?....The fascia was as the current crop so who knows...... Seems the only way of knowing if it is a true Mk3 is to open it up and send a pic to yeticom or buy direct from yeticom... Anyway i tried the Icom HM-36 as a lot have recommended and there was some improvement...I then tried an Icom ICM and there were further improvements...... Power seemed low on ssb as others have said too....Also the fan was noisey......I let it go as iwas not totally happy with it ..... And not having proper local backup left me with no confidence in the radio................. Loved the way it worked in the main and it's ease of use .......... But went back to a Ranger............ Atb...With yours...Jason
mickymcd

Post by mickymcd »

I have a 2012 mk3 optima i got in Jan this year i tried a jap icom hm36 mic a cr577 mic and a whole host of other mics i own i couldnt get the swing when using any of them on ssb also fm was flat.A friend who owns the mk3 optima tweak his to great effect so i did likewise never had any issues now at all the phantom mic works a1 and i set up a good quality pc head set which works great too
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

northern35s wrote:I had an Albrecht AE485S that was poorly set up on FM, however as SSB is my primary mode it didn't bother me too much, I also had the Realistic variant, but didn't even use it on the FM section of 10m, so I've no idea if that suffers the same.

As for the Jopix having a completely diferent board, is that an evidence based statement eg. seen a schematic and different board, or is it what you've ben told, the reason I ask is because the receive spec is identical to the myriad of makes and models sharing the same chassis/format, the only difference I've seen with the PA is a variance in output, surely if it was a completely different board that have put some effort into actually altering it's performance?

Genuine interest by the way, I'd really like to know what sets is apart from a £140 Jopix :?
As I was told by Yeticom....have sent a PM rather than a long-winded reply on here.

@ jibber jabber, was your one one of those fabled 2.5. I wonder?

It seems a few Optima purchasers have got rid practically straightaway! I have yet to hear of anyone who was happy with theirs straight out of the box. Hence the reason for the post.

Anyone have any links or sites with further information (I've seen the Yeticom site) feel free to add or post them.
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
kingmoff

Post by kingmoff »

I heard a mk2 once and it sounded crap. My mates just sold me his mk3 and the reason I bought it is it really sounds awesome. I couldn't believe it was an Optima. FM is a tad quiet but still clear. Rx is brilliant. Awesome little radio. Touching 60 watts ssb.

Video of mine: http://www.youtube.com/user/26FB1001
mickymcd

Post by mickymcd »

Yes Lee looks as though your alc has allready been adjusted prior to shipping my optima mk3 using the standard mic upon tx the modulation meter wouldnt peak high no matter how loud i shouted were as once adjusted it flows as well as your youtube vid :D
kingmoff

Post by kingmoff »

mickymcd wrote:Yes Lee looks as though your alc has allready been adjusted prior to shipping my optima mk3 using the standard mic upon tx the modulation meter wouldnt peak high no matter how loud i shouted were as once adjusted it flows as well as your youtube vid :D
Well the standard mic certainly drives the radio fine. The power knob was roughly at 12 o'clock so it wasn't running flat out. I heard the radio with a Turner +3 and it didn't sound as good. :shock:
Transmission1
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM001

Post by Transmission1 »

I've still got the MK1 Optima, almost pre-mainstream production unit that I used on the YouTube video and review - still going strong. Brilliant audio and apart from one glitch where the microprocessor locked up for a couple of days after we had storms (my fault for not removing the antenna) it's been great ;) People think it's a really expensive HF rig when they hear it on air but I don't use anything other than the standard mic that came with it.
Simon, 26TM001 - East Yorkshire, UK
Founder of Transmission1 & Tango Mike 26 Division Co-ordinator
http://www.tangomike.net/
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@transmission1
kingmoff

Post by kingmoff »

Transmission1 wrote:I've still got the MK1 Optima, almost pre-mainstream production unit that I used on the YouTube video and review - still going strong. Brilliant audio and apart from one glitch where the microprocessor locked up for a couple of days after we had storms (my fault for not removing the antenna) it's been great ;) People think it's a really expensive HF rig when they hear it on air but I don't use anything other than the standard mic that came with it.
Oh you didn't flog that one then Simon ;)
Transmission1
Admin
Admin

Post by Transmission1 »

kingmoff wrote:
Oh you didn't flog that one then Simon ;)
Nope... it's a keeper ;)

Came direct from the GW telecom factory in HK in less than 48 hours from sending! (UPS) I was well impressed :D
kingmoff

Post by kingmoff »

I did see your video a while back. I wasn't tempted then though. I heard the one I bought though so times change lol. Off up the hills next weekend all being well. Depending on work. You about Simon?
Transmission1
Admin
Admin

Post by Transmission1 »

Yes, I might be around. Let me know if you are going mobile and I'll try and meet up on the band next weekend. I need to get my mobile station active again ;) I might even run the Optima :) I can't comment on the Mk2 or Mk3 as I've never tried them but if you've got a good one keep it. Seems like quality varies from one batch to another. Another radio that bugged the hell out of me was the Magnum S9, some were great, others not so... quality control :roll:
kingmoff

Post by kingmoff »

Transmission1 wrote:Yes, I might be around. Let me know if you are going mobile and I'll try and meet up on the band next weekend. I need to get my mobile station active again ;) I might even run the Optima :) I can't comment on the Mk2 or Mk3 as I've never tried them but if you've got a good one keep it. Seems like quality varies from one batch to another. Another radio that bugged the hell out of me was the Magnum S9, some were great, others not so... quality control :roll:
Can you pm me your mobile. I've changed my number Simon. Just been outside sorting the new mobile set up and I've decided to keep the Optima in the house :lol: {bnghd}
So the Kucha Hans DX 5000 is demoted to the car. So my plans of having a smaller rig in the car has now gone out the window. {bnghd}
mof000
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mof000 »

kingmoff wrote:
Transmission1 wrote:Yes, I might be around. Let me know if you are going mobile and I'll try and meet up on the band next weekend. I need to get my mobile station active again ;) I might even run the Optima :) I can't comment on the Mk2 or Mk3 as I've never tried them but if you've got a good one keep it. Seems like quality varies from one batch to another. Another radio that bugged the hell out of me was the Magnum S9, some were great, others not so... quality control :roll:
Can you pm me your mobile. I've changed my number Simon. Just been outside sorting the new mobile set up and I've decided to keep the Optima in the house :lol: {bnghd}
So the Kucha Hans DX 5000 is demoted to the car. So my plans of having a smaller rig in the car has now gone out the window. {bnghd}
Show off!!
I'll pay whatever i think it's worth...:-)