Maas DX 5000, Anytone AT5555, etc.

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
marcdjay
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM496

Maas DX 5000, Anytone AT5555, etc.

Post by marcdjay »

Is there any difference?

I know they're basically built on the same chassis, but is there any compelling reason to get one branded version over another apart from price or availability?

Also keen to hear what peoples experiences of these radios are.

Many thanks!
Monsta
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Maas DX 5000, Anytone AT5555, etc.

Post by Monsta »

nope ..no real difference.

I have the Anytone V5 ....try and get a V5 revision ...although version 4 was great too ...
only little refinements in v5

whats not to like? ....26-30 ...with built in swr/echo/scan/variable power... channel and freq display
more features than any other set around ...it wont win any beauty contests ...but its a KEEPER for the shack

if your buying new try and get the programming lead ....very easy to set all your channels up how you like them
10/11: Anytone AT-5555, President Lincoln - Astatic Audio
HF: Kenwood TS2000 ,Kenwood G707, Heil Goldline,
marcdjay
Regular
Regular

Post by marcdjay »

Cheers Monsta!

Ideally I'm looking at a v5 brand new, but if the better half puts her foot down it might be a second hand v4 jobbie :p

How accurate is the SWR meter? As it's my first rig I'll be needing to get an antenna set up, is it worth buying a separate meter or is the one on the radio up to the job?
RussJH

Post by RussJH »

The power output can be different.

I have a KPO which is 40w FM and about the same SSB.

The Maas versions are lower.

Apart from that they are all identical as far as I know.
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

marcdjay wrote:How accurate is the SWR meter? As it's my first rig I'll be needing to get an antenna set up, is it worth buying a separate meter or is the one on the radio up to the job?
Seems pretty accurate (compared to a mid range meter) - I had mine for nearly 2 years (V3) before buying a SWR/Power meter and on the Gainmaster it reported SWR's of 1.0/1.1/1.2 I tried out the SWR meter last weekend, and its pretty much the same.

I have only bought an SWR meter to have a play with some mobile antennae. Between a SGM, and the inbuilt reading on the DX5000, I dont think I could have gone far wrong with not having a meter to begin with.
26CAB40
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 26CAB40 »

The one thing I really hate about them is the stupid clarifier setup.
What were they thinking ?
"It's worth whatever they're willing to pay"
marcdjay
Regular
Regular

Post by marcdjay »

RussJH wrote:The power output can be different.

I have a KPO which is 40w FM and about the same SSB.

The Maas versions are lower.

Apart from that they are all identical as far as I know.
Ahh I didn't know that, cheers.
Windy_Miller wrote:
marcdjay wrote:How accurate is the SWR meter? As it's my first rig I'll be needing to get an antenna set up, is it worth buying a separate meter or is the one on the radio up to the job?
Seems pretty accurate (compared to a mid range meter) - I had mine for nearly 2 years (V3) before buying a SWR/Power meter and on the Gainmaster it reported SWR's of 1.0/1.1/1.2 I tried out the SWR meter last weekend, and its pretty much the same.

I have only bought an SWR meter to have a play with some mobile antennae. Between a SGM, and the inbuilt reading on the DX5000, I dont think I could have gone far wrong with not having a meter to begin with.
Was hoping you say that :)

Trying to keep initial costs down as this will be my first proper foray into radio, so the cheaper I can get set up the more chance the wife will approve my spends lol
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

I have a Maas DX 5000 v4. Owned it for well over a year now and used it regularly. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever.

From various reports I believe it would be advisable to steer clear of the v1 - v3 revisions. There have been many negative reviews of those variants. V4 onwards and you'll be a happy chappy! :D
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
G8YMW

Post by G8YMW »

I have a Maas v6. Deffo a keeper.
Under the bonnet its a v5 but power has been put back down because they couldnt get a "CE" stamp because of sprogs at the higher power level.
I got the v6 because you can swap between 11 mmetres and 10 by a few button presses (OK it loses all your settings when you swap but no great shakes and its a factory reset I think)
marcdjay
Regular
Regular

Post by marcdjay »

Cheers for all the help guys. Looks like this is gonna be my first purchase. Looking through some on ebay now, is there anyway to tell which version one is by the front at all? Ta
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

to check the version is usually a look on the main board..
but they are all the same, made in the same factory by the same people..

only difference is the box they put it in and the name on the front, beit Anytone, Superstar, K-PO, MAAS, Context and sure there's another..!! Hamburg i think..!!

but all the same..made in china using cheap plastic :)
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Monsta
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Monsta »

any you buy now NEW should be at least v5 ....even v4 are cool as there is virtually no difference ...Like othrs have said don't touch V3 or older ...but to be honest ...there is no-one selling these new anymore so you are safe.

They are not pretty ..bu they are like the VOLVO of the 10/11 Radio world ...they just WORK

You will find prettier SSB sets, you may even find Better DX sets ....but you WON'T get a set that has these features for the price ..hence you will probably NEVER sell it ...regardless of what else you buy
10/11: Anytone AT-5555, President Lincoln - Astatic Audio
HF: Kenwood TS2000 ,Kenwood G707, Heil Goldline,
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

Hi lads, have just bought a boxed maas dx 5000 but it doesn't say on the box what version it is, is there any other way to find out please. I am also after a program lead for it if any one has one to sell. Thanks for reading cheers.
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

ROTEL240 wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 13:04 Hi lads, have just bought a boxed maas dx 5000 but it doesn't say on the box what version it is, is there any other way to find out please. I am also after a program lead for it if any one has one to sell. Thanks for reading cheers.
If you remove the bottom lid (speaker side) and look on the PCB you'll see the revision number printed on the board as in the picture. The number after the V is the revision number.

Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
ROTEL240

Post by ROTEL240 »

Thanks astradyne it's a version 4 so happy with that I will programme is up as soon as I get a lead, it has a good rx on it Cheers 🍻