Jentec Cobscan Mk V

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Jentec Cobscan Mk V

Post by Oggy »

bigpimp347 wrote:
Oggy wrote:They seem as rare as a Russian on UKFM........Now an Expert PD8500 is Rare :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

last one on ebay sold for £35..
i have a scrap one in my loft..!!!
Jolly Good..........I have a Mint one in my shack and unlike most......mine works 100%!! :lol:
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

Oggy wrote:
bigpimp347 wrote:
Oggy wrote:They seem as rare as a Russian on UKFM........Now an Expert PD8500 is Rare :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

last one on ebay sold for £35..
i have a scrap one in my loft..!!!
Jolly Good..........I have a Mint one in my shack and unlike most......mine works 100%!! :lol:
I had one of those years ago, I bought it for very little money from a rich kid round the corner from my parents hotel, I couldn't remember it's name until I googled what you were talking about :D
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

I had one of those years ago, I bought it for very little money from a rich kid round the corner from my parents hotel, I couldn't remember it's name until I googled what you were talking about :D[/quote]

Sorry for "Going Off Topic"...........I had one that never worked right in the 80's and swopped it in 1992 for an Amstrad satelite system.
Then got this from aa known collector who sourced me it last Cristmas, I had a 300 mile drive to collect it (it is as new ,with handbook ect).
I will do a video when I get chance........back to the common Jentech thread :lol:
Retro_CB_Dude
Regular
Regular

Post by Retro_CB_Dude »

Anybody have one like this for sale or the Jentec MK V, let me know please !
listner132
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by listner132 »

Funny how someone always comments saying i have one here bal bla bla....u cant polish a turd !
steepeljack69
Call Sign: 26SF333

Post by steepeljack69 »

It's funny cos Andy Astradyne and I found one for sale on Gumtree,which Andy bought.At the time there was no mk5 anywhere on the net,no photos,only after Andy got the radio did I think I may b wrong he put the photos up.I know he sold it on the bay,someone in Ireland from memorey
astradyne

Post by astradyne »

It was a Jentec MK 4. The guy delivered it to my door at some silly hour in the middle of the night. I gave him £120 for it. £100 for the radio and the £20 he asked for to deliver it (can't remember where he was from, but it was some distance). I'd never seen a MK 4 before, nor have I since. It was all in perfect working order too.

After using it for a while I concluded that it didn't perform any better than a standard Cobra. In fact another Cobra I had at the time outperformed it. Yes, the Jentec had more coverage, scan function etc, but was no better than another Cobra to actually use to talk and listen.

I ended up putting it on eBay and it went for over £700 to someone in Ireland. Stupid money, completely ridiculous, but they were happy to pay it and I made a very tidy profit.

A legend amongst radio's? Yes, it could be called that. Does the myth match the radio? No. You get one in front of you and it's just a modded CB radio. Nothing spectacular in this day and age.

I still have some photo's of it somewhere. I'll try and locate them and upload them to this thread.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
satelitesid

Post by satelitesid »

The only real difference between a standard Cobra and a Jentec is the frequency synthesis.
I will agree he was a clever bloke, but there is nothing on there that a good engineer could not do. There are a few things not on there, also.
My own 148 has the same coverage, 26 to 30, and digital, but done with thumbwheels rather than digital.
I wonder if there is any noise that comes out of the ICs for the synthesis.....
GRUBSCREW
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G7WFB

Post by GRUBSCREW »

I had one years ago nice radio but silly money .
Retro_CB_Dude
Regular
Regular

Post by Retro_CB_Dude »

I'm looking to buy one of the Jentec 4 or 5's fellas... If anyone hears of one for sale please contact me ASAP !

Thanks in advance and I have radios they may be of interest for a trade of sorts but I'm serious about buying one thanks.

Retro