Handheld CBs

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
Pensky
Regular
Regular

Handheld CBs

Post by Pensky »

I?m thinking about buying a handheld CB and not too sure whether to opt for the Intek H-520 or the Midland 42 multi.

Both are about the same price and offer more or less the same features. From initial looks it seems as though the Intek is a better deal, frequency display, uses less batteries, etc.

Wondered whether anyone on here has any experience of these radios, and which they would recommend?

The radio would be used mostly on the move, but occasionally at home hooked up to a main antenna.
Yamanx
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26FB001

RE: Handheld CBs

Post by Yamanx »

I have no experience of the radios you have mentioned.

However I do have a Midland 77 semi portable. It has a seperate mic/speaker, a five foot antenna (Retractable) and a battery pack made up from rechargable AA's.

It appears like a small CB you'd normally use in your car etc. But its completely portable. There is a leather case that keeps everything neat and tidy. Complete with RF out adjustment and the ability to turn the channel display off to save battery. There is an external antenna and power socket so for 27/81 FM CB use its perfectly ok for car, home and portable. Volume/on/off and squelch as you would expect.

Its performance as a CB radio is really astounding and the recieve is as good as my President Lincoln. Yes you read that right. The Midland 77 has as good as a recieve as the PL on 40 ch FM. I can't praise this small 40ch CB rig enough. It does exactly what it says on the tin and more. Highly reccommended and completely portable.

And its possible to buy one of these for less than twenty quid! You wont need another legal FM CB for 27/81 I promise.

Downside? Well it is only a 40 channel FM CB not the cept channels. But then again in the UK most CB users are only on the 27/81.

It's entirely legal at .5w low power and 4w high.

Get one of these and you will not be disapointed.

Edited: for beer flavoured spelling
FoulOleRon

Post by FoulOleRon »

The Intek has had some very favourable reviews. the Midland 42 Multi is also a good radio, but possibly a little dated these days. Both are versatile (u can use them for home, mobile or hand-portable), and beyond that it's just a question of asthetics.
Pensky
Regular
Regular

Post by Pensky »

Thanks for your replies. I will think on it for a while.
Pensky
Regular
Regular

Post by Pensky »

Just one more question, and sorry in advance if this is a silly question, but when connecting a handheld to a mobile antenna - or even a base station one - I assume the handheld needs to be SWR'd in? Or not? Can someone advise, please.
ducat

Post by ducat »

You are correct, the antenna will need to be SWR'd.
The handheld becomes a full power rig once connected to a 12v supply, and will require a matched antenna.

I've got a Midland 42 and its a great piece of kit.
M3XSP
“Magnetism is one of the Six Fundamental Forces of the Universe, with the other five being Gravity, Duct Tape, Whining, Remote Control, and The Force That Pulls Dogs Toward The Groins Of Strangers.”
Pensky
Regular
Regular

Post by Pensky »

OK, thanks Ducat.
ducat

Post by ducat »

I use mine mobile ( along with a Magnum S9) with a sirio 4000 on a 7 inch mag mount, SWR was perfect out the pack, the middy 42 covers all euro channels on AM and FM.
Can't fault it.

By the way, more batteries means more power!(on TX walkies)
M3XSP
“Magnetism is one of the Six Fundamental Forces of the Universe, with the other five being Gravity, Duct Tape, Whining, Remote Control, and The Force That Pulls Dogs Toward The Groins Of Strangers.”