laffeyette telsat 805 on air.....

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
dxswe
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 21TM006

Re: laffeyette telsat 805 on air.....

Post by dxswe »

Just in case you have an option to replace the orginal..
The orginal 1969 finals are rare to to find and very expensive :?
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Post by Ashtec »

dxswe wrote:Just in case you have an option to replace the orginal..
The orginal 1969 finals are rare to to find and very expensive :?
Well yes i do see your point mate but i just do not think they last to well to the orginal part's.

That's just my thinking on them i do now a few that do this mod alot and they work...............

I get my get my 1969 finals off weazle66 on ebay ive had no prob's at all with them.....................
dxswe
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 21TM006

Post by dxswe »

Have you tried the HFR-20W ELEFLOW HF/RF TRANSISTOR it,s
a replacement for 1969 http://cgi.ebay.com/HFR-20W-2SC1969-ELE ... 41585ca6d8
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

dxswe wrote:Have you tried the HFR-20W ELEFLOW HF/RF TRANSISTOR it,s
a replacement for 1969 http://cgi.ebay.com/HFR-20W-2SC1969-ELE ... 41585ca6d8

these parts are the same as eleflow 2SC1969 the HFR-20w are just re-badged for weasle they are the same..ask him..!!
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Post by gmham »

Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
bigpimp347
Legend
Legend

Post by bigpimp347 »

i still bought mine the cheapest £168...200euro...!!!
anyone beat that ???

£200 for a second hand one is good, but i still got a brand new un opened one for less..!!!!
I want to Die Asleep like my Grandad did,
Unlike his Passengers, Screaming and Shouting.!
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Cut the guy some slack Mark,he has fitted the Spectrum bleedover & processor kits & hads the audio fixed,at least it should be trouble free & work better than what they arrive :)
RD250
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by RD250 »

wheel bender wrote:I'm sorry about being so harsh on the telsat. back in the 80s this would have been a lot of radio. But things have moved on. We've grown to expect a little more clarity. To recap, the radio is a stunner to look at. The fm is passable and the aM is great but you've hit the nail on the head with the ssb 'knife edge' narrow and if you have more than one station to tune to, can be a problem. Some one on here has a major m788 and I'm sure it's the same board ? The m788 is reputed to sound great on ssb. So alot of the trouble might be coming from the 'reverb' board that doesn't seem to turn off. Would anyone take this board out and put a turbo echo in instead? This might cure the clipy fm. I don't have one of these radios I'm only reporting how one sounded to a group of us in Stoke at the weekend. There will ba string of mods that will move this radio up into the classic bracket. I'm sure, so don't be in a hurry to sell them on.
Because the cybernet export radios use quite narrow SSB filters compared to the Unidens the setup of the balanced modulator oscillator (doubles up as product detector osc on Rx) is more critical on these radios.

If the 10.69x MHz carrier isn't set right for both USB and LSB then the SSB audio can either sound very flat or it can sound very thin and tinny. It depends which direction the freq error is.

In this case it sounds like it's set so the bass frequencies are cut out by the SSB filter.

You could probably make the radio sound a lot better with a simple tune up.

Note that the settings given in service manuals for setting up the balanced modulator are usually not ideal and better results can be obtained with some fine tuning of each radio.
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

bigpimp347 wrote:i still bought mine the cheapest £168...200euro...!!!
anyone beat that ???

£200 for a second hand one is good, but i still got a brand new un opened one for less..!!!!
You may of only payed 200euro's for your radio bigpimp but it may have fault's like the rest of them have or bad corrosion to the chassis i think these radio's are returned goods as they was faulty years a go and some one must of brought the lot up and locked them a way untill now. Ive had a few rig doc's tell me that a lot of these rig's have been worked on before as there have been signs of soldering about the pcb's. My Westland 707 has had some work around the PA and has had it's HI band xtal swoped :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: i was told this was new in the box funny that all so a leicester bracker had a so called new Westland 707 and had it shiped to cubby's house straight from romania and cubby all so commented that the radio had been worked on.

So £200 is'nt bad at all as he has payed Spectrum £90 to work on it and sort all the faults out with it.
Ashtec
Legend
Legend

Post by Ashtec »

The Spectrum SF10.7 "Spectra Filter ", bleed over filter is a must in alot of the radio's as they are like a barn door wide open with out the Spectra Filter or an xtal filter fitted. so £200 aint bad at all if you think i payed £145 for a Wastland 707 +£20 for shiping........................................

SP059 SPEECH PROCESSOR for Cybernet multimode rigs. Specially designed to overcome poor quality audio on PTBM059 & PTBM121 chassis. The board picks up the audio drive to the VCO processes it and then feeds an add-on varicap board. PCB size 40 x 20 x 15mm. PCB Kit £7.50. PCB Built £11.00.

SF10.7 SPECTRA FILTER active filter incorporating a 2 pole crystal filter to replace the 10.7MHz ceramic first IF filter in early CB radios. The effect is to reduce bleedover by about 90% and by being active does not cause loss of sensitivity of the rig. PCB size 36 x 20 x17mm. PCB Kit £7.00, Built £9.25.

Here's aother must have if you have a Jumbo..........

NS1000 NOISE SQUELCH a really effective cure for all the annoying background noise produced by FM receivers. Allows reception of weak signals without loss of any except those which would have been unreadable anyway. Particularly useful for homebase use where its performance like that of AM is less annoying. PCB Kit £13.00, PCB Built £18.50.

SPECTRUM COMMUNICATIONS

EST. OCTOBER 1978. Proprietors;- Mr A.J. Nailer HNC BA G4CFY, Mrs J.R. Nailer.

12 WEATHERBURY WAY, DORCHESTER, DORSET, DT1 2EF, ENGLAND

Phone & Fax UK 01305 262250 International 0044 1305 262250

CB Radio Kits & Accessories - 28 March 2011

All prices include UK Carriage. Overseas orders incur additional postage costs. All popular credit cards accepted, phnoe or email the details. Make Cheque or Postal Order payable to Spectrum Communications.

Technical & order queries can be sent to [email protected]
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Just curious to find out if the speech procsessor board is any good for this radio as in the description it say's it's designed for the 059/121 cybernet chassis , i have the afs-1005 and it sounds pretty good on all modes and it has the same board as the telsat the only mod ive had done audio wise is the resistor change for the FM audio (r159) i dare say if you gave it a good tune , remove the echo board and do the FM resistor change like a couple of people have done on here , it should sound very similar to the smaller afs-1005 . Ok i do agree installing the bleed over filter and squelch filter is a must as we all know cybernets aren't great for bleed over and suffer that annoying pop everytime someone keys a mike .
nicko9000
Regular
Regular

Post by nicko9000 »

just got one of these lafayette gammond telsat 805b myself absolutely mint came with standard mic absolutely rubbish i have now added the kpo nm152 power mic and people are telling me its as sweet and sounds absolutely fantastic now this has been changed i got the echo set on 7 and mike gain on around 8 and the power mic set half way any more than that you get a mic ping when keying the mic just get it sorted just right worth a try you will be surprised of the difference and how much your modulation is improved to perfection!

i have now one problem for my radio it works smashing on low power and about 1 watt the trouble i have as soon as i flick the switch too high power the rf goes down after keying the mic for a few seconds i got it on power meter i think its doing 12-14 watts on high power on fm think someones been messing and wound it up to much it should be no more than 8 watts could do with turning it down back to under the 8 watts any advice ?
nicko9000
Regular
Regular

Post by nicko9000 »

[quote="nicko9000"]

just got one of these lafayette gammond telsat 805b myself absolutely mint came with standard mic absolutely rubbish i have now added the kpo nm152 power mic and people are telling me its as sweet and sounds absolutely fantastic now this has been changed i got the echo set on 7 and mike gain on around 8 and the power mic set half way any more than that you get a mic ping when keying the mic just get it sorted just right worth a try you will be surprised of the difference and how much your modulation is improved to perfection!

the radio has now been sorted 100%
26TM003
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M3VUI

Post by 26TM003 »

Dam it took me TWO YEARS to get back to this thread, kinda pointless now.

I knew there was something dodgy about going inside that blue police box !!!!!
Test
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

26TM003 wrote:Dam it took me TWO YEARS to get back to this thread
Actually, 4 years.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition