ham international jumbo not transmitting after few minutes

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
davie_1977
New User
New User

Re: ham international jumbo not transmitting after few minut

Post by davie_1977 »

still no luck dont no much about the insides all new to me not fixed yet cos dont know what is wrong and how to check ur comments are all great thanks for taking time to help the picture of one is not the same of mine though
jazzsinger
Banned
Banned

Post by jazzsinger »

darkone wrote:
Black Spirit wrote:Is it just me who thinks this, Am i on my own here :D
I've said before that the 059 board is my fave cybernet.
Good SSB and adjustable VCO voltage.
048 is a close second for me.
i can't believe so many great minds are comparing the merits of cybernet ssb radios,its a bit like saying josef fritzel wasn't as bad as ian brady or adolf hitler wasn't as bad as george bush or A99's ain't as bad as dv27's,lets be honest guys,they're all SH!T.
Banned Account
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Post by Ashtec »

============================================================================================
why dont you keep your comments to your self "jazzsinger"
Some one asks for some help with there rig and there you are slagging there rig off why dont you get a life!!!!!!!
Alot of the rig doc's dont have to help us at all but they do to keep some of the older radios going and to stop some of the rip off rig doc's riping some of us off they take time out of there family life to help eney one out on here. So dont you think keeping your thoughts to yourself and let the rig doc's get on with helping this man with his jumbo i think we all take it you dont like cybernet based radios well thats up to you.
I dont like some radio's but i keep it to me self i dont run round on here saying i dislike this and that if you dislike some think go on some think else This is why the cb radio is dying off for people acting their shoe size instead of there age!!!!
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x
============================================================================================
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

Well, the main thing I don't like is that the xtals are multiplied, which increases phase noise. This will in turn decrease selectivity on an already poor chassis. Whether it's noticable or not is another thing entirely, but it's poor design, and the 121 board improved this aspect.

To be honest, in my opinion, comparing SSB quality of Cybernets is a little like comparing views from different deck chairs on the Titanic. Ultimately pointless. If you want good SSB as opposed to "not so bad" SSB you should forget Cybernet entirely.
Some people prefer valve audio amplifiers because they give a "softer" sound. I prefer to listen to music undistorted. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1
darkone
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by darkone »

jazzsinger wrote:i can't believe so many great minds are comparing the merits of cybernet ssb radios,its a bit like saying josef fritzel wasn't as bad as ian brady or adolf hitler wasn't as bad as george bush or A99's ain't as bad as dv27's,lets be honest guys,they're all SH!T.
I'm happy to run either Cybernet or Uniden radios.
If I had to own just one 10/11M SSB set it would be a Clear Channel Ranger AR 3500.

Liking the 059 chassis is just one of my idiosyncrasies of which I have many :)
"Far from idleness being the root of all evil, it is rather the only true good."
Soren Kierkegaard - Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
163TM847
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 163TM847 »

davie_1977 wrote:i was going to put it on ebay for spares or repair but by the looks of things it cheap to sort but dont know were to start
I am pretty sure the fault can easily be rectified, If you are unable to do the work yourself and you dont mind paying postage both ways (plus repair cost) then i would suggest sending it down to Cubwolf :)
UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Post by UGLY_BOB »

If the Jumbo is tidy and not been too messed about with, it's certainly worth fixing. :)
EXTREMELY WEIRD... AVOID AT ALL COSTS !

jazzsinger
Banned
Banned

Post by jazzsinger »

PAUL27UK wrote:============================================================================================
why dont you keep your comments to your self "jazzsinger"
Some one asks for some help with there rig and there you are slagging there rig off why dont you get a life!!!!!!!
the whole point of having a forum is to give your opinion,i wasn't slagging off the persons rig,merely pointing out all cybernet ssb radios are cr@p,which is a well known fact and not my opinion,if getting a life involves buying a cybernet i'd rather be dead.
PAUL27UK wrote: Alot of the rig doc's dont have to help us at all but they do to keep some of the older radios going and to stop some of the rip off rig doc's riping some of us off they take time out of there family life to help eney one out on here. So dont you think keeping your thoughts to yourself and let the rig doc's get on with helping this man with his jumbo i think we all take it you dont like cybernet based radios well thats up to you.
I dont like some radio's but i keep it to me self i dont run round on here saying i dislike this and that if you dislike some think go on some think else This is why the cb radio is dying off for people acting their shoe size instead of there age!!!!
"acting my shoe size",quality !! pmsl.

p.s, think is actually spelled thing,if you say it properly you'll find spelling it properly easier. ;)
Banned Account
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Post by Ashtec »

Did you get the jumbo back up and runing in the end.......
Poggle
Regular
Regular

Post by Poggle »

Interesting thread. I have been given a Jumbo 2 to "play with" as it were due to it not recieving after being fired up and used for a few minutes. rig was in storage for two years before use. Transmitt is perfect (?) at 4 watts out, recieve is fine BUT, when finished transmiting for any length of time, the audio in is down, not by a lot but down. When I got it I traced the leads back from the speaker (after cleaning AF Gain etc with switch cleaner)and touched the little post the wires are wrapped round, a green and a yellow wire, the audio came up full blast, decided to clean these pillers with switch cleaner and the audio is perfect till after transmit but no where near as bad as before..............Now then, at one point I made a boo boo and touched another post with my finger when the audio was down and lo and behold, audio comes back up again. Could there be some kind of an "electrical miss match" or whatever going on here? I have checked all the screws etc on the board to chassis and am now considereing if anything is shorting out either in the PSU or in or around the variac diode...............Any clues?
The rig works but, is not "perfect":)

John
scottishtommy

Post by scottishtommy »

i do hope this lad does get his rig sorted and as far as rigs go there are good and bad in them all i love all rigs when they are working well and hate them all when there not no matter what rig a man uses no one can judge him for that if he has done all he can to make it sound good so some rigs dont sound great but that is where our on line rig docs are really good when they can advise us what to do
brightspark
Regular
Regular

Post by brightspark »

I too have a Ham International Jumbo Mark I. When first switched on it works for a minute. Then it does not transmit or receive and there is no power output via the metres. Also the Audio falls on both AM and FM mode. FM particulary goes quiet. Once switched off for 20 minutes it works ok for one minute or so then repeats the cycle over again. Does anyone know what components need to be changed. I noticed a 56Pf Capacitor mentioned, in relation to the radio's internal component boards - which one is it? is it close to say the rear of the radio or the main panel in the middle or in the area of the S meters and speaker for example.
koberk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by koberk »

Re 059 Chassis; I prefer the later incarnation rigs, which paired the 059 with an 016 board and switched the crystals electronically.
But it was always the frangible ferrite in the green VCOs which raised my blood pressure... In fact I cracked one just yesterday.
It was a Major 360 FM, which was in need of some 'therapy', but is now in the ITU...

I personally love an adult, full and frank exchange of views, but ONLY when the views can be backed up by facts and experience, not baseless opinion.
To say these rigs are 'sh*t' is childish and unhelpful.
KK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
koberk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by koberk »

here's the 006 in the Jumbo 1

KK
3 x Jumbo 1
1 x MIB Ham Int MM2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cubwolf
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M3CBY

Post by cubwolf »

brightspark wrote:I noticed a 56Pf Capacitor mentioned, in relation to the radio's internal component boards - which one is it? is it close to say the rear of the radio or the main panel in the middle or in the area of the S meters and speaker for example.

It's a small orange capacitor close to the 10.240 crystal. It's on the front board just in front of the green vco block.

Dave