MW DX

The place to discuss long distance TV and Radio Reception. Equipment, Antennas and anything to do with the art of DX.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

MW DX

Post by Farty »

I recently moved and rediscovered an old technics hi-fi tuner. It's not exactly DX type kit but its simple to use with good sensitivity, so I'm going to give it a whirl for a bit of mW broadcast listening like when I were a kid.

any tips on the type of antenna to run?
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: MW DX

Post by MrWeetabix »

I'm no expert mate, but as much wire as you can string out there is normally a safe bet, especially at those freqs....GOOD LUCK MATIE! :D
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
skunkybob

Post by skunkybob »

Get yourself a directional loop antenna

http://www.mindspring.com/~loop_antenna/

read the blurb,
I made one back in the 80s when I was into MW dxing stuff, amazing how the little blighters work....
I may look like an idiot, talk like an idiot, dress like an idiot, do not let that fool you......I am an idiot.. now on Echolink..... node 493825
hal8000
Regular
Regular

Post by hal8000 »

A little late with this link, but you can also build a 6 foot aperiodic (wideband loop).
This one tunes 50kHz to 5MHz

http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/rf/6x6loop.htm

So thats includes Rugby MSF 60kHz, DLF 73KHz to Tropical Bands.

Direction of loop is important at LF to MW and also some directional properties still
show up to about 5 or 6MHz. Some Radio Hams, also use loops on 40m (7MHz) although I think turning the loop here possibly cancels interfering sources.
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

Me and a mate of mine used to take my Yaesu FT757 in the car, drive to a car park on Blackpool sea front, and attach a cable to a massive wire fence with a crocodile clip and then into the back of the radio, it worked great, listening to East Coast USA MW was great. The one thing that used to concern me was that this car park was used by courting couples, if the police ever decided to check out the car park I doubt they'd ever believe we were there just listening to the radio :oops: :oops:
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
simon26OD004
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by simon26OD004 »

never mind the police, I don't believe you were there to just listen to the radio, lmfao :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oscar Delta 26 Division Coordinator
http://www.oscardelta.org/ ---------------------------------- http://uk.oscardelta.org/
FREE LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP
northern35s
Veteran
Veteran

Post by northern35s »

simon26OD004 wrote:never mind the police, I don't believe you were there to just listen to the radio, lmfao :lol: :lol: :lol:
True, but not what you're thinking :lol: whilst we were there we gave it a blast on Echo Charlie too :lol: :P
Mobile DXing from the car and on foot
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Had some good listening the last few nights. Managed Radio Romania in Bucharest, 1345miles great circle distance. Also 531 Radio Algiers transmitter, and Manx Radio in Isle of Man. I emailed Max Radio and their station engineer responded - he's an Amateur himself and was chuffed with the report, so he's sending me a QSL and some station shizzle. Sweet.

Also picked up a German based US forces station who are QSL'ing, and Voice of England from Holland, who want to convert me to God but will QSL if I see the light!
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crusty »

Fartblood wrote:and Voice of England from Holland, who want to convert me to God but will QSL if I see the light!
Which?.. The red ones in Amsterdam? :lol: :lol:
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

Fartblood wrote:Had some good listening the last few nights. Managed Radio Romania in Bucharest, 1345miles great circle distance. Also 531 Radio Algiers transmitter, and Manx Radio in Isle of Man. I emailed Max Radio and their station engineer responded - he's an Amateur himself and was chuffed with the report, so he's sending me a QSL and some station shizzle. Sweet.

Also picked up a German based US forces station who are QSL'ing, and Voice of England from Holland, who want to convert me to God but will QSL if I see the light!
Not sure of your location, but there are many to look for - a couple of tips (apologies if I'm telling granny how to suck eggs etc.) Listening at different times gives different results. For example, from here In Co. Durham on 873khz during the day was BBC Radio Norfolk - the same frequency at night was AFRTS - (American Forces Radio & Television Services) maybe what you heard. Most of the high power euro stations dominate at night, so daylight and early morning can be more interesting - unless of course you're happy to log the euro statons.

Again not sure if you knew or have tried, our stations are all 9khz apart such as 1053, 1062, 1071, 1080 and 1089 - all Talk Sport frequencies, but US stations are all 10khz apart - so remember to check "in between" our european ones - especially when winter comes for some good DX - often with basic antennae. Loops will work really well to listen to same frequency stations.

Try and get a copy of World Radio & Television Handbook or Passport to World Radio - it contains every station you could possibly hear and enhances your listening no end.

Steve
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

Oops! just noticed your other post about 10khz spacing! ignore most of what I said. The WRTH will have told you what stations are on what frequency and from what country though ;) Not the cheapest book but money spent on radio is essential as far as I'm concerned
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

g0slq wrote:Oops! just noticed your other post about 10khz spacing! ignore most of what I said. The WRTH will have told you what stations are on what frequency and from what country though ;) Not the cheapest book but money spent on radio is essential as far as I'm concerned
Yup, got the WRTH. Once you've got the hang of using it it's far better than surfing the web trying to find info on specific stations.

Wouldn't mind a better receiver, cos although mine's very sensitive the selectivity isn't brilliant. Have to wait til I'm a bit better off though.