BBC York & BBC Cumbria - good ol' AM

The place to discuss long distance TV and Radio Reception. Equipment, Antennas and anything to do with the art of DX.
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

BBC York & BBC Cumbria - good ol' AM

Post by g0slq »

666 khz and 756 khz respectively - just deciding to listen on the old medium wave on my G5RV and IC7400 as a long time since I did this. Not a million miles away from my northeast England location (Gateshead).

Steve
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
The_Prisoner

RE: BBC York & BBC Cumbria - good ol

Post by The_Prisoner »

Have you tried for BBC Three Counties Radio on 630? This one seems to get out everywhere!
26-TM-1000 "The Prisoner"
g0slq
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by g0slq »

No, but i will try it - not this late as too much from the continent at night. Where they broadcast from? - 945 and 999 used to be good - not sure nowadays tho :-(
G0SLQ website
Icom IC-7100 + two patchleads and a broken PL
The_Prisoner

Post by The_Prisoner »

G - BBC Three Counties R./BBC Asian Network, Luton (0.2) - own Asian programmes: 1905-2100 (Mo-Fr); BBC Asian Network: Mo-Fr 2100-0100

Taken from http://www.emwg.info/

Click on "Online Version". This station is easily audible on the car radio while driving around town and I must be getting on for 100 miles north of it!

Like I say, it just gets out!
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

I love AM, but the band is so crowded now that it's very difficult to hear any distant stuff on the daytime groundwave.
*lights pipe*
Back in the 60's when the MW band was much quieter than it is today (none of the local BBC or ILR stations were on) it was possible to hear the offshore pirates which were mainly grouped around the Thames Estuary. Radio London, Caroline, City and Radio 390 were all audible here in Manchester in the daytime, and we often listened to Radio 270 off the NE coast and Radio Scotland as well. These days they'd be hidden behind some ex-hospital radio twerp on Radio Local.......
*knocks out pipe and puts kettle on*
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
The_Prisoner

Post by The_Prisoner »

Yes, medium wave is very congested these days. I too remember the days before the barrage of local radio stations opened up in the UK and the European powerhouses used to sign off for the night. It's so different now. I ought to light up my pipe too Andy. I'm only(?) 47. :lol:

I used to listen to some of the pirates. R Northsea was a favourite in the late seventies. I used to enjoy the music of their Dutch service. I can't remember the frequency though.

At night the North American stations came in clearly (conditions permitting) during the mid-winter. You could also see George Formby at the Palace Theatre.

Them were t'days!

John