Freesat

The place to discuss long distance TV and Radio Reception. Equipment, Antennas and anything to do with the art of DX.
AshtonMobileScanner
Call Sign: 26TM931

Freesat

Post by AshtonMobileScanner »

Does anybody know anything about freesat digital tv?

Motorola UHF DP3600,
Golden One 1907,
Baofeng UV5RA+,
Diamond RH771 Antenna,
UHF Stubby Antenna,
Diamond X-30 Antenna,
MASS SPS 250 MK2.

(Monitor All Channels)
CALLSIGN: 26 TM 931 / 26 CT 931
thelad
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Freesat

Post by thelad »

Only that you need a freesat box and a freesat dish or a sky dish.
Uniden UBC120XLT
Uniden USC230E
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Binatone PMR MR500 x2
Magiksun TM-490 (BF-888) x3
Baofeng BF-888
TTI TSC 100R
Baofeng UVB5
Zastone D900
Icom IC-R6
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM413

Post by sureshot »

Its cheap so long as you got a dish and you get the same as what sky free stuff was, our sky box died i went and got a free sat box, more reliable than digital half the time digi plays up :cry: i really only watch yesterday channel and a few documentary, its cheap enough if you've got a dish. :)
CB call. Shipwreck.
Martinedwards
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by Martinedwards »

I have 2 sky boxes with cards I got from the BBC for free... I think there is a £20 charge now though.

I get the same channels as Freeview except dave, dave ja vu and itv+1. plus a bunc of othe tosh.

we only got freeview switched on here a couple of months ago so we've been using this for several years.
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

:) AFAIK the free stuff on astra/Eurobird 28 west is not encrypted so you no longer need a card or sky box any free to air sat receiver will do the job(includes sky box without its card) If you have a free to air card in a sky box just remove it and you will see your receiver working without it ;)

I believe that previously it was necessary to have a card to receive the BBC channels in a sky box because initially the BBC used the Sky encryption platform

:| I think the purpose of this was to prevent the reception of these channels in other countries.
The BBC AFAIK no longer wished to pay for encryption and switched to a narrow signal footprint instead.

So now the signal footprint can only be easily received in the general area of the UK and in order to receive these channels in eg southern spain you would require a parabolic antenna 2.5 metres wide.

My advice would be to get yourself a HD FTA satelite receiver as it will be far more versatile for example fta receivers usually contain diseqc switching
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DiSEqC ) which will enable you to control two or more separate satelite dishes set up to receive different satelites
others will also have a conditional access module slot (cam slot) to use with foreign tv services that are encypted using eg nagravision or mediaguard

I dont use a skybox or a freesat box and I can get all the channels I need to see from two sat dishes and a generic FTA HD sat receiver all free :D
smoggy07
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by smoggy07 »

AshtonMobileScanner wrote:Does anybody know anything about freesat digital tv?
What do you need to know?
26TM234
ChickenMadras
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ChickenMadras »

{ troll mode }
Yeah, but only lazy chav's houses have satellite TV dishes outside
{ /troll mode }

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The devil finds work for idle circuits
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

ChickenMadras wrote:{ troll mode }
Yeah, but only lazy chav's houses have satellite TV dishes outside
{ /troll mode }

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Most of the UK then, not many A. :lol: :lol:
CB call. Shipwreck.
AshtonMobileScanner
Call Sign: 26TM931

Post by AshtonMobileScanner »

How do i get dave, dave ja vu, 4music and viva on freesat i cant find the frequencies anywhere what work.

Motorola UHF DP3600,
Golden One 1907,
Baofeng UV5RA+,
Diamond RH771 Antenna,
UHF Stubby Antenna,
Diamond X-30 Antenna,
MASS SPS 250 MK2.

(Monitor All Channels)
CALLSIGN: 26 TM 931 / 26 CT 931
sureshot
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sureshot »

AshtonMobileScanner wrote:How do i get dave, dave ja vu, 4music and viva on freesat i cant find the frequencies anywhere what work.
Scan for new stations in the menu set up, re scan if you've done it once already, pic a time of day when reception is very good all over the channels to maximize the chance of picking up other new stations, also check and make good all RF connections and adjust dish orientation if necessary, take a look see if your dish is sighted the same as some other local houses. :)
CB call. Shipwreck.
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

AshtonMobileScanner wrote:How do i get dave, dave ja vu, 4music and viva on freesat i cant find the frequencies anywhere what work.
You can 't, they're not on Freesat although Viva is available on FreesatFromSky.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

We've had Freesat since it started and it's pretty good. No subs to pay and only Dave and Quest (and a couple of others) are missing. We go over to FreeView for those.
To be fair, Freeview is missing some of FreeSat's channels as well. BBC-1 and 2, ITV and Channel 4 have HD versions and NHK is HD as well. Our receiver is a Humax Foxsat HD.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
stratocaster
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by stratocaster »

Oh jeez,and I was thinking of changing from Freeview to FreeSat. I keep getting digital lag when I change channels and this starts to pixelate the screen or freeze it completely,really bad on BBC1 when changed from other channels,some channels won't work due to poor signal strength, and this is progress?!!!! I'll see where the aerial is and have a look,but the thing worked well on analogue before it all went digital,so if it is pointed at Craigkelly transmitter,then it shouldn't really have bother,but I suppose it depends on polarisation and what type (group) of aerial it is.
You can never have enough radios!
WoollyMammoth
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WoollyMammoth »

I believe you can get a tuner card you connect to your pc to get live tv, didn't all the pubs used to use them to get the football matches for free?