Recently acquired Yaesu FRG-100... antenna's?

The place to discuss long distance TV and Radio Reception. Equipment, Antennas and anything to do with the art of DX.
antzpad
New User
New User

Recently acquired Yaesu FRG-100... antenna's?

Post by antzpad »

New ear on the block! Having recently got this receiver out of the box having being given it by my father some years ago (who has now passed away, but was a radio engineer), I am seeking advice on a good, preferably home made option of indoor aerial to begin with - eg. what is an optimum length of wire for this general HF range, I have little experience (or for that mattering - technical knowledge of radio), but would like to start listening. I have the full instruction manaul, which does explain some aerial options, but considered initially what sort of 'in-room' wire type antenna might given me reasonable reception - perhaps fine tuning things at a later date. I assume 10 foot of quality thickish insulated copper wire would give a start, but is their anyone who could advise on a better - simple option - to start? Thanks for any help offered :D
crusty
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Recently acquired Yaesu FRG-100... antenna's?

Post by crusty »

Hi antzpad. You may get a better response posting this in the HF & Shortwave Listening section (Mods could move on request). If you are set on an indoor antenna I'd suggest a tuned loop of some sort would be a good starting point. There are many designs suitable for indoor use but noise from electrical appliances can be a problem. An outdoor antenna will always perform better than an indoor one, however sometimes we have to work with what is practical or cost effective. Nice rig BTW.
antzpad
New User
New User

Re: Recently acquired Yaesu FRG-100... antenna's?

Post by antzpad »

Thanks for helpful response. Have started using a basic commercial 10m long wire, with some excellent results, though primarily in shortwave bands at night (as might almost be predicted - albeit over sensitive - though I'm still learning the basics with the 'Frog' as I've seen it nick named here). So, yes re your suggestion, getting a hole to the outside and something more elevated, though I understand I need to get some insulators afixed from diagrams I have obtained from the internet - would a loop of string supporting the coax' each end away from the supporting pole acheive the same effect? And another quick question is re 'grounding' seeing as I am on 2nd floor in house, would a wire to a radiator pipe acheive same result - as apparently this improves receiver performance dramatically. Thanks for your attention.