87.8mhz ?

The place to discuss long distance TV and Radio Reception. Equipment, Antennas and anything to do with the art of DX.
o_blackburn

87.8mhz ?

Post by o_blackburn »

Since I started using my Colinear for FM broadcast receiving a couple of weeks ago, I have been getting a weak station on 87.8mhz ever since.

Its strange because it has been there when theres been no tropo or sporadic openings.

Theres nothing on Ofcoms site regarding RSLs in the area on that frequency and I doubt its a pirate somehow.

The signal is never constant! I've listened to it, and easily identify what song its playing, yet 10 minutes later, its that weak, I can about tell theres a disturbance in the noise.

Seems to play classical music most of the time, and sometimes jazz. Occasionally I hear speech on there, and I'm 99.9% sure its english, but I've never heard a jingle, because by then, the signals that weak to make anything out (just my luck!).

Any ideas? :?

I'm near Junction 39 of the M1, quite high up as well!
73 Oliver
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Could it be a phantom signal, caused by intermodulation in your receiver? As far as I know 87.8 isn't a recognised channel, 87.7 being the low-power RSL frequency. If you have another radio, tune around the band and compare the mystery signal with other stations on the band.
The other possibilty is that you are hearing someone's iPod wireless thingy or wireless speaker.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
Robin1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Robin1 »

Are we getting into the super natural here?? LOL
FoulOleRon

Post by FoulOleRon »

Robin1 wrote:Are we getting into the super natural here?? LOL
Better get Eddie in here then (26SD122, where are you?)
Robin1
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Robin1 »

On 11m's LOL
o_blackburn

Post by o_blackburn »

Since local RSL "ELFM" went of air on 87.7 earlier, I have been able to hear this "mystery" station again, its turns out its RTE Lyric FM! :D

Not bad going is that. Ive had this station up and down for a few weeks now since I started using the collinear, and conditions haven't exactly been fantastic all the time.

I didn't think my receiver was getting over loaded somehow lol

http://www.puredigitalaudio.org/digital ... _LARGE.jpg
73 Oliver
timb

Re: 87.8mhz ?

Post by timb »

it's RTE 1 from Cleremont Carn in county Louth
best contact on PMR (0.5watts only): 21.5 miles (Congleton to Junction of A54/A556 near Kelsall 06/03/2011)
Best Contact on LPD (10mW only) 14.2 Miles (Congleton to The Roaches 18/04/2011)
Gear: Intek MT-5050 Unmodified