my first tx on ssb

Home of the Tango Mike DX Group - Transmission1's very own CB/11m DX group. All club related chat, QSL Card downloads and membership issues/requests to be posted here.
loudassassin

my first tx on ssb

Post by loudassassin »

I told my mrs and she didnt care, but it was kind of exciting. So im just putting it here so more people wont care about it either :D

Finally got myself a decent power supply for my cobra, and yesterday heard a call on T5 that I could hear really well so QSy'd and called back. But id given the wrong callsign, I gave TM252 insteqad of TM525, I think i mangaged to get across the correct one though.

There was a Sugar Delta contest on i think, and i had a very short QSO with 14SD201, just about manged to give and receive first names then it just dropped out. Maybe if Id got my backside in gear and setup a decent outdoor antenna instead of my sirio signal looser in the loft, i might have made it to the end..

Well, I'll definatley be doing some more when I have the chance.
UGLY_BOB
Legend
Legend

Re: my first tx on ssb

Post by UGLY_BOB »

Sounds like the bug has bitten ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
You are on the slippery path to madness my friend :D
Mind you... I'd avoid SD contests... not the most satisfying of contacts. "You're 5 and 9 - contest number 3421 - NEXT" :roll:
Hope to catch you on there sometime matey.
Ugs
EXTREMELY WEIRD... AVOID AT ALL COSTS !

MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Well done matie!

No turning back now, say goodbuy to the Signal loser and the missus, then get a HUUUGGGEEE mast, MA-HOOOOOO-SIVE beam and a Kilowatt linear

ooolllaaaaaa cccoooccaaa ccooolllaaaaaa!!!!

Welcome to Bob's Pirate Club...yyarrghhh!!
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

UGLY_BOB wrote:Mind you... I'd avoid SD contests... not the most satisfying of contacts. "You're 5 and 9 - contest number 3421 - NEXT" :roll:
Its not just SD or the contests Bob.... It seems to be getting harder and harder to actually sustain a conversation with anyone these days - Everyone in too much of a hurry to rush off and see how many other contacts they can bag, without actually talking of any worth with the ones they have!

I first thought it was me - Maybe the DX-5000 was picking up the aroma from my armpits. Maybe I was boring the tits off them! But I see that its pretty universal, even when listening. Its a shame, as we have this fantastic tool to let us talk with folk from interesting countries, and maybe exchange interesting gossip. Instead, its a call sign, a first name and a signal report - If you are lucky, what rig and twig they are using and a weather report. :roll:

And yet, sometimes, after leaving in such a hurry to go find others, you'll hear them back on channel 12, shouting their heart out with no reply.

Its like walking down the street and saying "Hello" to everyone you meet - Sure, thats friendly, but not quite as engaging as speaking to one or two folk for an hour or two in the pub!

Fortunately, we still have UK40 for long chinwags, but it would be nice to have some decent conversations with some of our foreign friends!
Ashtec
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: M6LTD

Post by Ashtec »

Well done :!: :!: :!: :!:

Keep it up......
BobRob
Banned
Banned

Post by BobRob »

Windy_Miller wrote:
UGLY_BOB wrote:Mind you... I'd avoid SD contests... not the most satisfying of contacts. "You're 5 and 9 - contest number 3421 - NEXT" :roll:
Its not just SD or the contests Bob.... It seems to be getting harder and harder to actually sustain a conversation with anyone these days - Everyone in too much of a hurry to rush off and see how many other contacts they can bag, without actually talking of any worth with the ones they have!
Looking at comments on various ham sections, it seems the ham brigade are complaining about the same problem.

5/9 73 QRZ?
My Name is Conor, I am a liar who forgot I came from 11m SSB
Deni
Regular
Regular

Post by Deni »

Congratulation!

I remember my first SSB DX, and there was noone to tell, everybody react like ''what are You talking about?!'' Keep on going m8!
President Grant
328TM074

Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

BobRob wrote:Looking at comments on various ham sections, it seems the ham brigade are complaining about the same problem.

5/9 73 QRZ?
Theres a few regulars I hear on Channel 12 shouting for all kinds of exotic contacts, but never getting any - I never hear them having any kind of copy with anyone other than blind transmitting "looking for South Pacific over the long path from Europe, via some moonbounce and a bit of meteor scatter"

What I dont figure is - If I were in the south pacific and heard that call come in, how would I know if it had come the long path or not? Should I answer it in case it has? Or should I leave it in case its actually just nipped over the short path and the other operator gets annoyed with me for wasting his time on a short path contact? ;)
kurt999
Regular
Regular

Post by kurt999 »

Windy_Miller wrote:
BobRob wrote:Looking at comments on various ham sections, it seems the ham brigade are complaining about the same problem.

5/9 73 QRZ?
Theres a few regulars I hear on Channel 12 shouting for all kinds of exotic contacts, but never getting any - I never hear them having any kind of copy with anyone other than blind transmitting "looking for South Pacific over the long path from Europe, via some moonbounce and a bit of meteor scatter"

What I dont figure is - If I were in the south pacific and heard that call come in, how would I know if it had come the long path or not? Should I answer it in case it has? Or should I leave it in case its actually just nipped over the short path and the other operator gets annoyed with me for wasting his time on a short path contact? ;)

there's lots I don't understand and now you've added something else to the list, dammit :lol:

Kurt
2E0CMN
Windy_Miller
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Windy_Miller »

Thing is, Europe and the South Pacific are pretty much diametrically opposite each other. So theres not really a long, or a short path - Just an awful lot of ones all about the same length!
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

welcome to proper radio 11 mtr (the darkside) :o :lol: ;)
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)