Divsions custodian

Home of the Tango Mike DX Group - Transmission1's very own CB/11m DX group. All club related chat, QSL Card downloads and membership issues/requests to be posted here.
friendly1uk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Divsions custodian

Post by friendly1uk »

This is the first time i have seen the numbers explained.

Gotta say, i think it's very odd. I won't be using them.

I expected them to be some sort of mapping scheme, Not a long winded way of saying where you are. I will stick with UK and expect the scotish gent to say scotland. Why make a meal out of it. But really...why? It's just making my location obscure, which is not my aim at all.

I can see why the yanks want non of it.
"on i'm in division2"
"oh so am i"
"oh me too"
"were not doing very well are we"

So where were these people? Same street? 3000 miles apart? It would be easyer and more precise to just tell eachother there locations propperly.

I'm somewhat dumbfounded by this.
Toobad
Call Sign: 26TM357

Post by Toobad »

I guess appending your call with UK works well enough for all English speaking operators but when the skip is running I think the divisions method holds up very well. Yesterday evening, during the "grey line" propagation period, 173 Division (Reunion Is.) popped up on the 555.From the resultant bunfight it was obvious the operator was just focussing on callsigns beginning with a numeric prefix and doing it all in French to boot. Luckily good 'ol vingt-six Tango Mike trois-cinq-sept got a 5 by 5 into the Indian Ocean whilst I suspect poor old TM357UK would have been totally ignored.

To paraphrase Tony Stark in Ironman 1 " That's how Dad did it, that's how Britain does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far".
Just once I want someone to call me "Sir" without adding "you're making a scene."
Otter
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM439

Post by Otter »

friendly1uk wrote:I will stick with UK and expect the scotish gent to say scotland.
Good luck with that, I think you'll be disappointed. It sounds like you want to play the game, but not abide by the same rules as everyone else.

Not really 'rules' - but you know what I mean.

Why don't you pick your own calling frequency too - how about 26.000 LSB?
"To this day the words Stirling bridge conjour pride in every Scotsman's heart, while to an Englishman those same words conjour literally no feelings at all." - Cunk on Britain S1 E1