Skip - SW France DX contact - UK Ch18 & Ch14 - 23rd May 2010

Home of the Tango Mike DX Group - Transmission1's very own CB/11m DX group. All club related chat, QSL Card downloads and membership issues/requests to be posted here.
HD462
Regular
Regular

Skip - SW France DX contact - UK Ch18 & Ch14 - 23rd May 2010

Post by HD462 »

Hi folks,

We were up in the Yorkshire Dales today around Tan Hill, the highest pub in England. Picked up a guy loud, but a bit crackly, listening he sounded like a radio ham the way he was calling QSL etc. We could hear other people talking faintly, but couldn't make out what they were saying.

It turned out he was in South West France, and was getting loads of contacts from the UK. I tried speaking to him, but he probably didn't hear me, but he kept saying he was having trouble determining who was who, as he had so many contacts.

I didn't have a pen and paper with me to write any call signs down, but I did hear Tango Mike call signs mentioned, and he mentioned locations of contacts he thanked for connections from Scunthorpe, Bradford, Aberdeen, and North-East England. I think one might have been 10-TM-108 or 26-TM-108 I could only hear him clearly, and the guy who said he was in North East England, not the other connections.

He said he was near a city in South West France (I couldn't make out the name), about 12km away in a village. I did make a few attempts at calling, and gave my call sign 26-TM-462, but don't know whether it was lost in the sea of transmissions he seemed to be getting, even if he could hear me.

Did anyone else hear him, or make contact with him? It was mid afternoon for a good hour or so I'd say.
Mark.
Midland Alan 48 Excel Multi / Sirio Mythos 9000 (mobile)
Magnum S9 / Sirio Megawatt 4000
Uniden Bearcat UBC-780 XLT Base - Uniden Bearcat UBC-3500 XLT Handheld
Midland Alan 42 Handheld / Numerous PMR446 Radios
HD462
Regular
Regular

Re: Skip - SW France DX contact - UK Ch18 & Ch14 - 23rd May

Post by HD462 »

Fifteen views and no replies? I'm surprised no-one else on here heard him, he seemed to get a lot of contacts, and mentioned a few Tango Mike call signs. Nobody made contact with him then?
Mark.
Adriano9966
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Adriano9966 »

HD462 wrote:Fifteen views and no replies? I'm surprised no-one else on here heard him, he seemed to get a lot of contacts, and mentioned a few Tango Mike call signs. Nobody made contact with him then?
Im certain loads of people heard him but I think most people are on the bands at the moment rather than on the internet
given the return of sporadic e to 27mhz ;) I dont have a gain antenna for 27mhz at the moment so I have been operating on ten metres instead (not that much different from 27mhz) I suppose I could use my vertical on 27 with a manual tuner
anyway if you would like a copy with france listen out for me this summer during the last week in july and the first week in august between 27.305 and 27.405 fm(channel 30&40 on mid band)I am keen to talk to all tm members that can hear me

look forward to hearing you kind regards Adrian :D
HD462
Regular
Regular

Post by HD462 »

Thanks for the reply Adrian, I'll certainly listen out for you, I often have a scan through the EU/EC channels, and the ones for each country, to see who I can pick up.
Mark.
HD462
Regular
Regular

Post by HD462 »

Picked up some more distance contacts today, two coming through loud and clear. Don't think they could hear me though, but again seemed to be getting a lot of contacts, so some will have been drowned out by others. I got some details this time, anyone make contact with them, or at least hear them?

First one:

14-AC-003
Mr Jeff (or Geoff)
Located in Cognac, South of France

Second one:
13-CT-649
No name, but located in Leibzig, Germany

both came through loud and clear. Had lots of others coming through too, not so clear, and often in their native tongue to hard to understand what they were saying.

A good day for skip by the look of it. :)
Mark.