horizontal and vertical antennas?

Home of the Tango Mike DX Group - Transmission1's very own CB/11m DX group. All club related chat, QSL Card downloads and membership issues/requests to be posted here.
Retic
Regular
Regular

horizontal and vertical antennas?

Post by Retic »

Sorry me again :) ok ive been thinking about antennas for a static mobile set up, ive been given a couple of whips and the bits to conect them to make a dipole, for some reason (and i dont know why) im thinking horizontal might be a good idea for dx? is my random thought right? i dont know where it came from lol have googled around a bit and found people use horizontal and vertical as well as v shaped for 11m dx, what would your recomendations be?

Many thanks

Matt
2E1IIP

Re: horizontal and vertical antennas?

Post by 2E1IIP »

Retic wrote:Sorry me again :) ok ive been thinking about antennas for a static mobile set up, ive been given a couple of whips and the bits to conect them to make a dipole, for some reason (and i dont know why) im thinking horizontal might be a good idea for dx? is my random thought right? i dont know where it came from lol have googled around a bit and found people use horizontal and vertical as well as v shaped for 11m dx, what would your recomendations be?

Many thanks

Matt
Hi Matt, it depends on the band.
If you are working Troposphere propagation on 2 Metres then Horizontal polarization is what most people use.
The benefits of Horizontal polarized antennas are that you will be less susceptible to QRM from Vertical polarized stations and noise, with regard to HF (27 MHz included) and 6 Metres it is purely optional as when your Radio signal arrives in the Ionosphere its polarization randomly changes once it is refracted back to the surface.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rob 2E1IIP