Just starting out and would like some advice

Home of the Tango Mike DX Group - Transmission1's very own CB/11m DX group. All club related chat, QSL Card downloads and membership issues/requests to be posted here.
barndoor
Regular
Regular

Just starting out and would like some advice

Post by barndoor » 09 Nov 2009, 20:54

Hello all
my name is Gary (26 TM 210 ) based in Newcastle under Lyme Staffs and I am a complete novice to DXing.
I have bought a Magnum 257 which I will be using mobile with a Sirio Megawatt 4000 with a Sirio 145PL magnetic base. As yet I have not tuned the aerial and I am somewhat concerned that I might screw it up and blow my rig up or something...is that possible?
I would also like to use the rig at home so I would love some advise on what aerial I should put up on the roof.
I do actually have a discone up there which I used to attach to my scanner is that any use?
Any help comments is all very much appreciated.
Thanks

barndoor
Regular
Regular

Re: Just starting out and would like some advice

Post by barndoor » 10 Nov 2009, 23:50

This is a great start 10 people have bothered to read my post (thankyou) but not one little bit of help from anybody....so far, fingers crossed.

porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 » 11 Nov 2009, 20:40

hi and welcome to tango mike as long as your swr is fine you will be fine and for a home antenna try a antron 99 or a silver rod' theres a few guys on the forum from your qth ( wheelbender ) from stoke
good luck with everthing :lol:
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)

dcwuk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by dcwuk » 11 Nov 2009, 20:51

Easy Tiger, A search of the forum would answer your questions. :)
Have you used a cb before by which i mean a standard set up ?
Do you know how to use a swr meter?
No you scanner aerial would not be a suitable for your radio
Can you put up a reasonable aerial at your location for instance an sirio 827?
Its difficult to answer your questions without knowing how much you already know
tell us more
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
I'm commenting on an internet forum, why should your facts sway my opinion?

simon26OD004
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by simon26OD004 » 12 Nov 2009, 00:01

your sirio 4000 will not be a million miles away in SWR terms to cause a problem to your radio in the short term, unless there is a problem with it. What you need to do is get an SWR meter and tune that antenna in first of all.
Oscar Delta 26 Division Coordinator
http://www.oscardelta.org/ ---------------------------------- http://uk.oscardelta.org/
FREE LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP

Conor
Banned
Banned

Post by Conor » 12 Nov 2009, 13:54

barndoor wrote:Hello all
my name is Gary (26 TM 210 ) based in Newcastle under Lyme Staffs and I am a complete novice to DXing.
I have bought a Magnum 257 which I will be using mobile with a Sirio Megawatt 4000 with a Sirio 145PL magnetic base. As yet I have not tuned the aerial and I am somewhat concerned that I might screw it up and blow my rig up or something...is that possible?
I would also like to use the rig at home so I would love some advise on what aerial I should put up on the roof.
I do actually have a discone up there which I used to attach to my scanner is that any use?
Thanks
OK. Out of the box, it won't blow anything up. You'll probably find it doesn't need tuning at all - mine certainly didn't. What it does need though, is a good ground plane so a biscuit tin ain't going to cut it.

A discone is of no use whatsoever. If you can push to the money, around £85, get a Solarcon Imax (or Max) 2000. Its 24ft long but is a cracking antenna. Try to put it on a 5 metre pole so its at least 15ft off the ground. Don't worry about how much it bends in the wind. You'll not need to tune it at all out of the box. Some people recommend the Antron 99 which is a shorter version but the build quality is crap compared to the Imax 2000. The other thing about the Imax 2000 is that if you choose to go into amateur radio, it works great on 15,12 and 10 meter bands as well as the CB 11 meter.

barndoor
Regular
Regular

Post by barndoor » 16 Nov 2009, 12:37

Thanks for all the replies.
This is where I am up too...
I have realised that its no good trying to run until I can walk so I have binned the home base idea for now and I am going to concentrate on getting the mobile set up working.
I have just been out to a local high point to try out the magnum 257 and Sirio 4000 and to be honest I have had little success :(
Now as I admit to knowing very little this is what I did...I found a guide to using a swr meter on cb 4x4.com
I set the rig to FM and went to channel 20 put the meter to fwd and keyed and then took the needle to the end of the red to set and whilst still keying I switched to ref and the reading I got was well over 2 but short of 3. This was the same on channel 1 and 40.
I had with me a Intek M-490 cb connected to a pre tuned spring antenna which works fine.
I switched aerials and did the same test on the Mag and I was below 1.5. However I was at least expecting to pickup all the cb transmissions on the FM channels but I got nothing.
I tried the mag on 27.555 (usb) with the sirio and on two occassions I heard someone a million miles away.
Tuning up to around 27.7-8 I started to get a lot of very unclear transmissions.
I find it all a bit confusing. :shock:
Any comments or suggestions are most welcome or any links that might help...thanks again :D

jeff
Regular
Regular

Post by jeff » 18 Nov 2009, 23:21

barndoor wrote:Hello all
Thanks
<<<<YESGary you need to SWR the ant as it will Bloow the rig ,, The siro 827 is ok for the roof thay work wall ,, From 26TM189 Jeff