advantages of linears

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.

advantages of linears

Post by Guest »

hi,i have just bought a brand new kenwood ts50 for mobile use
would it be easier on the outputs if i ran it 10watts into a linear i have?
or is it better to use natural radio output?
is it true there would be less strain on the radio if using an amp?
best regards marc
rattledrat
Regular
Regular

Re: advantages of linears

Post by rattledrat »

bikeman wrote:hi,i have just bought a brand new kenwood ts50 for mobile use
would it be easier on the outputs if i ran it 10watts into a linear i have?
or is it better to use natural radio output?
What size Linear are you going to use?
is it true there would be less strain on the radio if using an amp?
best regards marc
As an Amateur radio operator you should know the answer. :)
chazwozza
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26CD172

RE: Re: advantages of linears

Post by chazwozza »

Has he ever made a post that isnt dismissive?

When people ask for help why does a **** like him even bother answering

its not helpfull nor is it worth reading
Last edited by chazwozza on 19 Sep 2006, 21:30, edited 2 times in total.
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: RE: Re: advantages of linears

Post by Panteneman »

chazwozza wrote:Has he ever made a post that isnt dismissive?
Thank god it's not just me!!

My mother told me that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all....

This forum ISN'T here for people to be sniped at. There doesn't appear to by anyone he/she/it hasn't had a pop at.

Notice his location is now Bucharest. Has he had to emigrate because there are so many people after lynching this dude?
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
rattledrat
Regular
Regular

Re: RE: Re: advantages of linears

Post by rattledrat »

Panteneman wrote:

My mother told me that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all....

This forum ISN'T here for people to be sniped at. There doesn't appear to by anyone he/she/it hasn't had a pop at.

Notice his location is now Bucharest. Has he had to emigrate because there are so many people after lynching this dude?
I don't take a pop at anybody.
The guy asked a question and if he had done a Ham Radio corse to be able to use a TS50 legaly he would know the answer.
Why don't he just write he is using it for CB if that's what he wants to do.
As for emigrating, no I have always lived in Bucharest but am thinking of coming to your country of milk and honey and getting all the free gifts. :D
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

Forum nastiness = wrong

Post by Panteneman »

This forum ISN'T here for people to be sniped at. There doesn't appear to by anyone he/she/it hasn't had a pop at. I love checking out this site and this muppet spoils it for everyone. I mean. the guy that asked this question re. linears in the first place should be welcomed, not condemned. People have got to walk before they can run, as it where.

Notice his location is now Bucharest. Has the said person/thing had to emigrate because there are so many people after lynching this dude?

Please, someone give the originator of the linear amp question the proper answer he was seeking. We don't want to be scaring new people away. It's damn ignorant.
Speaking to people in foreign lands, with various configurations of copper wire in various strange shapes - my friends think I'm committing acts of witchcraft...
chazwozza
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26CD172

RE: Forum nastiness = wrong

Post by chazwozza »

U can use the TS 50 at full power and it wont harm it

They wouldnt make a radio capable of using 100 watts that then blows up if u do
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

RE: Forum nastiness = wrong

Post by Guzzy »

Please keep the discussions civil.

Jon
Panteneman
Top Poster
Top Poster

advantages of linears

Post by Panteneman »

chazwozza wrote:U can use the TS 50 at full power and it wont harm it

They wouldnt make a radio capable of using 100 watts that then blows up if u do
Bikeman appears to state that he is using his rig as a mobile?

May I suggest he gets a decent, heafty spare battery in the car to power it?

Why I say this was because the car I use was slightly hesitant after some DX'ing using 25 watts Static mobile and the display of my rig dimmed upon keying up. And this is from a large V6 car that requires a heftier battery than most normal cars. Hate to think of what 100 watts could do!

The battery terminals of the car were worryingly warm. As, there is no proper "plumbing" or space for my rig, and I have powered it from the battery direct. With the power cable routed through a passenger window :S

I have heard people using spare batteries for these mobile setups, to save having to bump start the car down a hill. A mate of mine became unstuck once because of a good summer evenings DX.

This was on sideband. On FM, on 4 watts (so my ATU told me) this didn't occur.

Please bear this in mind....

Rig in question: "unlocked" President George multimode, capable of 50 watts SSB 25 watts FM/AM (latter figure approximate)

Re: RE: Forum nastiness = wrong

Post by Guest »

2H2UZ wrote:Please keep the discussions civil.

Jon
cheers all
hey mate,i've been going mobile using 100 watts for 15 years mate so i know all the stuff that can happen with batteries etc

but my original question still aint been answered

i've never been in the position before where i've had a linear+a 100 watt radio

i'd sooner wear out a 36 quid linear first and save hammer on output transistors on a 500 quid radio by running it 10 watts (if it works like this) (does it)?

:lol:
Transmission1
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM001

RE: Re: RE: Forum nastiness = wrong

Post by Transmission1 »

Bikeman, my thoughts on this are as follows:

As long as your atenna system is tuned correctly with a low SWR across all the bands you operate on then the TS-50's output transistors should not be stressed by full power usage. The main cause of output transistor failure is too much reflected power being disipated as heat, hence the failure in a bad SWR situation. An amateur radio such as the TS-50 also contains extra electronics to limit the amount of output power should the SWR become unacceptable therefore avoiding this situation.

If you are talking SSB operation then the power level varies very much and won't be hitting anything like 100 watts all the time as you speak. Personally I would forget the linear amp especially if it's a cheap model since some of these have been proven to increase distortion in your signal making your speech quality very poor and also running the risk of interference to other bands or if you operate close to houses then even TVI - maybe not a problem if you are out on the hill tops but it's an indication that something isn't right.

I think the best bet is to run the TS-50 direct and use its own high quality output but that's just my opinion, others may disagree. One final thought is that you may own a car capable of doing 150 mph but do you always drive at that speed? :)
Simon, 26TM001 - East Yorkshire, UK
Founder of Transmission1 & Tango Mike 26 Division Co-ordinator
http://www.tangomike.net/
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@transmission1
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

RE: Re: RE: Forum nastiness = wrong

Post by Guzzy »

Modern radios should be just fine running at full power, with the exception of modes such as RTTY - which are a continuous-duty transmission mode. The normaly advised power limit when running digital modes such as RTTY is 50%.

I would say that it wouldn't hurt to run the rig at lower power into a linear amplifier that is doing all the real work. After all, heat is a destructive property on all electronic equipment over time, so why run the rig hot if you don't have to?

Jon
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

One advantage of running a linear is that they have pre amps in them so you get a little extra help on the incoming signal as well.
But a ?36 linear :shock: :shock: That sounds like a very inferior bit of kit to plug into a decent rig.

Post by Guest »

i know what your all saying,i probably will just run with standard power from the radio
it was just a thought
and the full 100watts will only be used mobile when needed,not all the time
jazzsinger
Banned
Banned

ts50

Post by jazzsinger »

I have run 2 different TS50's and both were very sensitive to high swr above 2:1.If swr is lower then no problems if not tx shuts down till radio cools,if using on 11m then use a broadbanded antenna like sirio HP4000 or MEGAWATT 4000.I managed to work stations in New York and Moscow at the same time on this set up. Make sure power leads are wired direct to battery with 20 -30 amp cable. Top class mobile radio,makes Icom and YAESU radios look crap.