Lead free solder

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
mycbworld
Regular
Regular

Lead free solder

Post by mycbworld »

I think this is the best place for this topic.

Just used lead free solder for the first time. I found it awful. wouldn't melt properly. luckily i had some proper solder left, had to dig it out.
Anyone else not getting on with it? I know you need a hotter iron to use it, but I didn't want to use too much heat, was working on a rig.
going down one of the local "pound shops" tomorow, they still got some lead/tin stuff.

Simon SWL
Last edited by mycbworld on 24 Jun 2006, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Typical interfering EU diktat! I've never heard of anyone dying from 'solder poisoning, and surely scrap PCB's could easily be dealt with?
I've heard some of the latest stuff is quite OK if you have a temperature-controlled iron and turn it up a bit.
I recently stocked up on good quality PROPER solder! With a bit of luck it'll outlast me....

:roll:
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

I can understand them saying that companies were people are soldering for their whole shift need to use lead free, but most people only use it for the odd few minutes.
That rubbish they sell in Maplins is the worst I have ever tried, but even the good stuff is not nice to use.
So I passed this test that allows me to twiddle with knobs, push buttons & call my self an Advanced !!!!!!!
M0LSX
Sandhound

Re: Lead free solder

Post by Sandhound »

mycbworld wrote:IJust used lead free solder for the first time. I found it awful. wouldn't melt properly. luckily i had some proper solder left, had to dig it out.
Anyone else not getting on with it?
Simon SWL

Don't have any trouble with the new type solder, perhaps you are using the wrong type of flux with it
BTW.. I use a solder gun, perhaps that's why.
mycbworld
Regular
Regular

RE: Re: Lead free solder

Post by mycbworld »

I thought it was flux cored, like the old stuff. Mine came in a kit, 18 w antex iron, stand, sucker, and some nice cutters and small pliers. spotted it on a clearence table in maplins a few months ago, ?10 off
Simon SWL / GW I wish :D
Sandhound

Re: RE: Re: Lead free solder

Post by Sandhound »

mycbworld wrote:I thought it was flux cored, like the old stuff. Mine came in a kit, 18 w antex iron, stand, sucker, and some nice cutters and small pliers. spotted it on a clearence table in maplins a few months ago, ?10 off
Simon SWL / GW I wish :D

What do you expect using a 18w soldering iron?
Try a 25w model.