Charring Cross & 70cm.

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Charring Cross & 70cm.

Post by kc »

Does anyone know why we can't use the bottom end of 70 cm near Charring Cross ?
I know it makes no difference, we can't simply means we can't I just wondered if there is a known reason.
So I passed this test that allows me to twiddle with knobs, push buttons & call my self an Advanced !!!!!!!
M0LSX
ryan_paul
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ryan_paul »

Dear KC

430 to 433 MHz (FM calling section of 70 cm band) has been allocated to PMR on a primary basis in Charring Cross.

From memory you are not allowed to use 430 to 433 MHz within 100 kilometres of Charring Cross.

It is worth remembering that most of the 70 cm band is allocated on a secondary basis to radio Amateurs. This means that licensed radio Amateurs can use this band as long as they do not cause interference to primary users (mostly military).

Cheers.
cheers and 73

Paul
M3XPR.
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

It's 430.0 to 431.0 mhz within 100km of Charing Cross & I just wondered why.
The Military (MOD) are the Primary users (428.325 to 432.475 mhz)
But Car remote locking devices also work around this frequency (433. 92 Mhz .)
In 1993 a European frequency of 433.92 MHz for radio car keys was allocated by the European Radio Committee (ERC); this became European Law in 1995. The same frequency was already legally allocated to other users: the primary UK user being the Ministry of Defence, with secondary users including amateur radio operators and traffic information systems. Some private and public access mobile radio networks operate close to the 433MHz band. These stronger sources of radio transmissions can sometimes block the signal from a radio activated key.
The AA and RAC estimate that more than 8,800 breakdowns attended in 1996 were a result of remote key fobs being blocked by radio interference.
RAKE Committee Radio Activated Key Guidelines
So I passed this test that allows me to twiddle with knobs, push buttons & call my self an Advanced !!!!!!!
M0LSX
ryan_paul
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ryan_paul »

Dear KC
Sorry if my info was a bit off track but I haven+?t looked at this for some time.

The reason for not being able to use part of the 70 cm band near Charing Cross was defiantly because Someone (presumable the DTI or OFCOM) had licensed those frequencies for PMR.
cheers and 73

Paul
M3XPR.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: 26TM002

Post by Guzzy »

Does anyone know why we can't use the bottom end of 70 cm near Charring Cross ?
"dum didi dum dum di dum dum, dum didi dum dum di dum dum..."

... anybody remember how the theme tune to 'James Bond' goes..... ;-)
Sandhound

Post by Sandhound »

kc wrote:It's 430.0 to 431.0 mhz within 100km of Charing Cross & I just wondered why.
The Military (MOD) are the Primary users (428.325 to 432.475 mhz)
But Car remote locking devices also work around this frequency (433. 92 Mhz .)

If people don't like being locked out their car then they should get the IR locking devices fitted instead.
Using 70cms in a car park can be fun, especially if it's raining.
You learn lots of new words. :shock:
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

A military radar station on the coast here in Norfolk has been killing cars as they drove past :lol: :lol:
M0LSX
Sandhound

Post by Sandhound »

kc wrote:A military radar station on the coast here in Norfolk has been killing cars as they drove past :lol: :lol:

Which questions all this fly by wire that the car manufactures are installing.
I wonder sometimes while mobil using 70cms and the linear switched on if it is having any effect on that type of setup.
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

Is it still unsafe to use hand helds in vehicles with air bags or have they sorted that out yet? :lol:
ryan_paul
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ryan_paul »

It+?s also not safe to use hand held+?s in a vehicle (particularly high power hand held+?s) because the RF bounces off the metalwork and all around the cabin.

Cheers
Guzzy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Guzzy »

Save you turning on the heater! :lol:
kc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by kc »

Brrrrrummmmmmm, Tringgggggggggg, Blarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Yaesu VX-7R brought for & used mobile as I change vehicles a lot. ( can be several times per day.)
M0LSX