Anybody drive a BMW 1 series?

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Post Reply
torquetube
Regular
Regular
Posts: 40
Joined: 04 Jun 2012, 06:14
Location: Essex

Anybody drive a BMW 1 series?

Post by torquetube » 11 Feb 2018, 21:00

Hi all,

I’m in the process of changing my car to a BMW 1 series and just wondered what antenna mounts others are using won them? I have until now been using a magnetic mount but just wondering if a boot mount would be better. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :-)

User avatar
kilimax
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 2667
Joined: 05 May 2014, 09:18
Call Sign: GM0BRJ
Location: Same Country as Buick Mackane

Re: Anybody drive a BMW 1 series?

Post by kilimax » 11 Feb 2018, 21:47

torquetube wrote:
11 Feb 2018, 21:00
Hi all,

I’m in the process of changing my car to a BMW 1 series and just wondered what antenna mounts others are using won them? I have until now been using a magnetic mount but just wondering if a boot mount would be better. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :-)
My missus drives a 1 series. We use it when we go on holiday and I fit a Diamond K-400 mount on the top of the hatch. Works a treat. Just ensure you have a good ground. :thumbup:

EDIT - Don't buy any of the fake copies. They are terrible and will rust within a few weeks of it being fitted. I made that mistake and I ended up buying the Diamond.
Kilimax - Drew
Amateur Callsign GM0BRJ
Tango Mike Callsign 108TM144

I've changed radios that many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:

torquetube
Regular
Regular
Posts: 40
Joined: 04 Jun 2012, 06:14
Location: Essex

Re: Anybody drive a BMW 1 series?

Post by torquetube » 12 Feb 2018, 06:20

Excellent thanks for the tip, sounds like the diamond is the way forward. Just out of interest did you anything on around the grub screws to stop the car paintwork from rusting when they are tightened?

User avatar
kilimax
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 2667
Joined: 05 May 2014, 09:18
Call Sign: GM0BRJ
Location: Same Country as Buick Mackane

Re: Anybody drive a BMW 1 series?

Post by kilimax » 12 Feb 2018, 09:27

torquetube wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 06:20
Excellent thanks for the tip, sounds like the diamond is the way forward. Just out of interest did you anything on around the grub screws to stop the car paintwork from rusting when they are tightened?
As the mount is taken off regularly , I apply a small amount of grease to the area and it hasn't rusted.

As it happens, the missus has also ordered a new 1 series. She has a 2014 model and apart from some minor tweaks, It's the same car, so I don't expect any issues using the mount.
Kilimax - Drew
Amateur Callsign GM0BRJ
Tango Mike Callsign 108TM144

I've changed radios that many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:

User avatar
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Posts: 10000
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 21:20
Call Sign: 26TM157
Location: MK-UK

Re: Anybody drive a BMW 1 series?

Post by Admiral » 13 Feb 2018, 21:40

torquetube wrote:
11 Feb 2018, 21:00
Anybody drive a BMW 1 series?
My hairdresser.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

User avatar
Buick Mackane
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7079
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 17:30
Location: A Country Called Scotland

Re: Anybody drive a BMW 1 series?

Post by Buick Mackane » 13 Feb 2018, 22:14

Admiral wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 21:40
torquetube wrote:
11 Feb 2018, 21:00
Anybody drive a BMW 1 series?
My hairdresser.
Backs against the wall lads, Theres a poof in toon, :lol:

Real men cut their own hair with a hunting knife :mrgreen:
Some days will stay a thousand years, Some pass like the flash of a spark, Who knows where all our days go ~ Stuart Adamson.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 5 guests