Yaesu FT-817 Replacement mic

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Buick Mackane

Yaesu FT-817 Replacement mic

Post by Buick Mackane »

Looking for a decent quality mic for my 817 to replace the crappy MH-31 Standard mic, Can anybody recommend one ? Or better still an adaptor lead to convert it to 4 pin, I know theres a mod you can do to the original mic to boost the audio, But i'd rather find a decent replacement,

Cheers,
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Re: Yaesu FT-817 Replacement mic

Post by Auldgeek »

Buick Mackane wrote: 23 Dec 2017, 19:33 Looking for a decent quality mic for my 817 to replace the crappy MH-31 Standard mic, Can anybody recommend one ? Or better still an adaptor lead to convert it to 4 pin, I know theres a mod you can do to the original mic to boost the audio, But i'd rather find a decent replacement,

Cheers,
You could always fit a speech processor into the MH-31 such as this.

http://jwm.de/afu/0ft817eng.htm
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

kilimax wrote: 23 Dec 2017, 20:03
Buick Mackane wrote: 23 Dec 2017, 19:33 Looking for a decent quality mic for my 817 to replace the crappy MH-31 Standard mic, Can anybody recommend one ? Or better still an adaptor lead to convert it to 4 pin, I know theres a mod you can do to the original mic to boost the audio, But i'd rather find a decent replacement,

Cheers,
You could always fit a speech processor into the MH-31 such as this.

http://jwm.de/afu/0ft817eng.htm
Yeah i looked at one last night drew, Fits between the mic and the rig, But at £60 quid don't think i'll bother.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

This module seems to go down well with the QRP enthusiasts and at £60, it might seem expensive, but what price would you be paying for a decent microphone?

It's a piy that the 817 never came with some sort of processing in the tx side. I guess Yaesu were trying to keep the power requirements as low as possible.

The microphone pin out is pretty standard if you fancied putting together an adaptor to allow you to try other mics. The KPO nm-532 power microphone is quite popular and cheap. Maybe worth a try. Hopefully someone with experience of using an aftermarket microphone will chip in.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

kilimax wrote: 23 Dec 2017, 20:46 This module seems to go down well with the QRP enthusiasts and at £60, it might seem expensive, but what price would you be paying for a decent microphone?

It's a piy that the 817 never came with some sort of processing in the tx side. I guess Yaesu were trying to keep the power requirements as low as possible.

The microphone pin out is pretty standard if you fancied putting together an adaptor to allow you to try other mics. The KPO nm-532 power microphone is quite popular and cheap. Maybe worth a try. Hopefully someone with experience of using an aftermarket microphone will chip in.
Its a pity they never supplied it with a better quality mic and a 4 pin socket instead of that horrible telephone type connector, But rustling up some sort of homebrew adaptor lead might be an option,

And yeah i suppose £60 isn't bad when you weigh it up against the price of a decent quality mic

Cheers drew