TYT TH-9800 Any experience

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Ur5by9

TYT TH-9800 Any experience

Post by Ur5by9 »

I've been looking for a quad band radio and seen the TYT TH-9800
Now this is a fairly cheap radio for the specifications. It also looks like a clone from the Yaesu FT9800
What I do understand is that the build is China so the quality will be no where near the Yaesu which is built in Japan.

Spec wise:
TX: 26 - 33MHz / 47 - 54 MHz / 136 - 174 MHz / 400 -470 MHz
RX: 26 - 33MHz / 47 - 54 MHz / 108 - 135 MHz / 136 -180 MHz / 320 - 512 MHz / 700 - 950 MHz

Seems a bit too good to be true money wise and for what you get from the radio.

Looking for a bit advise on this radio.

Best Regards.
26TM931
Regular
Regular

Re: TYT TH-9800 Any experience

Post by 26TM931 »

Thats what they are cheap copy, I had one for just over 12 months and it went faulty (and cannot be repaired) mine is
sat in the repair shop.
My advice put a bit more to and go for the Yaesu
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

How long is the guarantee on the Yaesu for it's more expensive price tag? The same? so it too could go faulty and be more money tied up.

This is about luck rather than quality. Most of the machinery used to make modern electronics is pretty similar, and most faults show up very quickly after you start getting them hot, and then your retailer is liable. The benefit of the higher price you pay instead of buying direct. Icom and Yaesu both have busy service departments, which can fix most stuff. The chances of a small repair outfit being able to fix any major fault are slim. No diagrams, few parts and lots of guesswork which might work, or not.

Never spend more than you can afford to lose, and then you won't be disappointed. Buying is just a gamble now on any product - most are great, a few devils - but I suspect this applies to every brand. If you worry - buy from a dealer and take out extra warranty and feel comfort in the security it gives you for the considerable extra money.
26TM931
Regular
Regular

Post by 26TM931 »

paulears wrote: 23 Dec 2017, 11:58 How long is the guarantee on the Yaesu for it's more expensive price tag? The same? so it too could go faulty and be more money tied up.

This is about luck rather than quality. Most of the machinery used to make modern electronics is pretty similar, and most faults show up very quickly after you start getting them hot, and then your retailer is liable. The benefit of the higher price you pay instead of buying direct. Icom and Yaesu both have busy service departments, which can fix most stuff. The chances of a small repair outfit being able to fix any major fault are slim. No diagrams, few parts and lots of guesswork which might work, or not.

Never spend more than you can afford to lose, and then you won't be disappointed. Buying is just a gamble now on any product - most are great, a few devils - but I suspect this applies to every brand. If you worry - buy from a dealer and take out extra warranty and feel comfort in the security it gives you for the considerable extra money.
You get two years on the Yaesu
Mitch
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: M1TCH

Post by Mitch »

One to avoid imho, I had one for a while. Great idea on paper but very poorly implimented, I could list a whole load of issues from crap scanning to pants RX on single band mode. It is so not a clone of the Yaesu, it looks like one but inside is nothing like, specs yes, design no. They appear to have quite a high failure rate too, there's a Yahoo group you should look at for the details: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TYT ... ons/topics

I had a Wouxon quad bander KG-UV950p and that worked so much better tbh, if you really want a budget quad bander it's a far better choice. They're not as pretty or as ergonomic (or as cheap) but it will do FM CB like the TYT. The only reason to buy one is for 27Mhz as well as 10/6/2/70 all in one box but if you don't need CB go for the Yaesu quad band, more money but likely to last a whole lot longer, quality costs.
The perfect face for radio.
Ur5by9

Post by Ur5by9 »

Well that is a fairly comprehensive review of the radio. They go for £125 delivered and I thought too good to be true.
Any recommendations on a quad band radio, 6m, 2m , 70 and a bonus if it does PMR ?