Diamond Antenna UK Dealer

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
M1ZXZ
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M1ZXZ

Diamond Antenna UK Dealer

Post by M1ZXZ »

Hi,

With so many fake knock off's, I'm very dubious of buying anything other than from trusted sources.

* Does anybody know of any official U.K dealer that sell Diamond Antennas ?

I was initially interested in the Nagoya NA-771 for my HT. I've read so many bad reports that I've since given up all hope and confidence in acquiring any of those antennas.

Diamond has been around for quite some time, so surely, somebody in the U.K sells genuine Diamond products.

Regards.

Paul - M1ZXZ
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Re: Diamond Antenna UK Dealer

Post by Tigersaw »

Exchange rates will be worse, but the last time I bought a Diamond antenna it was from Wimo,
http://www.wimo.com/equipment-antennas-diamond_e.html
and it arrived in just a few days
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

I think Nevada used to be the UK importer. They certainly sell more of the Diamond range than any of the other dealers.
I've purchased genuine Diamond base antennas from a couple of dealers over the years (Nevada, Waters and Stanton)

While not 100% full proof, I find that if you want something genuine, buy from one of the reputable dealers in the UK and avoid eBay unless it's from said dealers.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

Are we sure the so called copies are actually different products? My understanding is that Diamond isn't a proper brand as we know them, but an OEM source who also badge them for anyone who wishes to purchase.

The only real issue is if they work, surely? I suspect many dealers are now wary of selling anything that could be a counterfeit, because with youtube having more videos about fakes antennas than ones about real ones, plus comparisons between real and fake that end up being fake or fake, they get cold feet - refunds, credit card charge backs, bad facebook posts etc - it's just risky because the overseas suppliers will send genuine one batch and then fake next batch, unless you buy in huge quantities. I used to sell loads of microphones, but then the factory suddenly implemented a MOQ of 500, and I was forced to buy in smaller quantity from one of their in Country dealers - who then routinely added in fakes to some deliveries. I've given up selling them now. Too silly.

On the portable front, I'm not certain any of these antennas are actually worth having. None I have have impressed me at all.
silverspring
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G7OVK

Post by silverspring »

You're right, a lot of the fakes are actually diamond. They are an OEM manufacturer. Makes no difference in the majority of cases anyway as they are not that good, like most commercial antennas. You're better off making your own, at least you'll know exactly what it is.
M1ZXZ
Regular
Regular

Post by M1ZXZ »

Thanks for the response, I do appreaciate your thoughts and advice.

I'll make an enquiry with Nevada and Waters & Stanton as they have both been around for some time, see what they can offer.
I'me sure as Paulears has suggested that long standing reputable dealers won't want to run the risk of selling dodgy counterfeit products when it could seriously effect there reputation. Again as he suggested that the use of YouTube and social media, bad press gets around very quickly and mud sticks.

It's a shame really that eBay has such a bad reputation for unscrupulous people to sell unworthy goods, I'me sure though there are many genuine sellers offering good products at discount prices. It's all a bit hit and miss, you pay your money and you take the chance.

I though Diamond was a genuine manufacturer in there own right selling there own products.

I'll make a few calls tomorrow then.
Thanks again..
porky.69
Legend
Legend

Post by porky.69 »

have you tried radioworld yet .... just a thought :thumbup:
This is my Territory.....Be on your way 8)
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

silverspring wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 11:34 You're better off making your own, at least you'll know exactly what it is.
Considering that a lot of what Diamond produce are multiband mobile whips I think I can say with some amount of certainty that there won't be many people tooled up to produce something that not only works but stays together at 70MPH. Not entirely sure many could put together a decent looking and performing flexi either.
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

M1ZXZ wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 14:30 Thanks for the response, I do appreaciate your thoughts and advice.

I'll make an enquiry with Nevada and Waters & Stanton as they have both been around for some time, see what they can offer.
I'me sure as Paulears has suggested that long standing reputable dealers won't want to run the risk of selling dodgy counterfeit products when it could seriously effect there reputation. Again as he suggested that the use of YouTube and social media, bad press gets around very quickly and mud sticks.

It's a shame really that eBay has such a bad reputation for unscrupulous people to sell unworthy goods, I'me sure though there are many genuine sellers offering good products at discount prices. It's all a bit hit and miss, you pay your money and you take the chance.

I though Diamond was a genuine manufacturer in there own right selling there own products.

I'll make a few calls tomorrow then.
Thanks again..
Diamond "ARE" a genuine Japanese manufacturer. They have been around for a very long time and it is their antennas that most others have copied.
Anyway, stick with the main dealers and you won't go far wrong.
Auldgeek - Drew

M1ZXZ
Regular
Regular

Post by M1ZXZ »

Well, this afternoon I did email Diamond support asking who are the main U.K. supplier as none are listed on their international dealership information page.
Hopefully, may get a response from them soon.

Thanks again for all the positive and quite informative responses, I do appreciate the comments.
Paul - M1ZXZ
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

M1ZXZ wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 22:59 Well, this afternoon I did email Diamond support asking who are the main U.K. supplier as none are listed on their international dealership information page.
Hopefully, may get a response from them soon.

Thanks again for all the positive and quite informative responses, I do appreciate the comments.
Paul - M1ZXZ
More than likely a European dealer these days. Oh well, that supply will soon stop!

Hope you get sorted out with what you are looking for.
Auldgeek - Drew

paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

I wonder if any 'diamond' sourced from china rather than Taiwan would be genuine - I can't imagine them importing then exporting.

Before I left home a dual band white stick had just arrived. I bought it from a supplier I've used and the claim was lots of gain, wonderful performance and less than 300mm long! 259 connector at the base, and nice looking. I didn't have a chance to test it but the antenna analyser had a hard time with it - 100-500MHz scan, best VSWR 3:1 at 180MHz, best UHF was 5:1 and 440!!!

When I get home I shall cut it open and see what is inside. It's in one of those orange counterfeit diamond wrappers but doesn't say Diamond on it.
silverspring
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G7OVK

Post by silverspring »

kilimax wrote: 19 Nov 2017, 22:16 Diamond "ARE" a genuine Japanese manufacturer. They have been around for a very long time and it is their antennas that most others have copied.
Anyway, stick with the main dealers and you won't go far wrong.
But the fact they're Diamond and Japanese doesn't necessarily make them any good. A lot of the 'genuine' Diamond antennas are poor performers. Whilst I'm also sure some have copied Diamond and are indeed counterfeit (and also display the Diamond name/logo), there are some that are not Diamond branded but are indeed made by Diamond.

All commercial gear is designed for mass market, if you can call Amateur Radio a mass market that is. Well I suppose it is, like in the way Kenwood and Icom VHF/UHF amateur radio transceivers are simply derivatives of their business/PMR range. Designed to fulfil a purpose, but not necessarily high performance. I've seen and heard better performance out of homebrew gear. Same deal with antennas. A dual band mobile antenna will always be a compromise antenna, so regardless of cost, it will be 'just ok' but nothing special.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Auldgeek »

silverspring wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 21:56

But the fact they're Diamond and Japanese doesn't necessarily make them any good. A lot of the 'genuine' Diamond antennas are poor performers. Whilst I'm also sure some have copied Diamond and are indeed counterfeit (and also display the Diamond name/logo), there are some that are not Diamond branded but are indeed made by Diamond.
I was merely stating that as a manufacturer of the original antennas for many years, I doubt that they themselves would churn out inferior copies or fakes of their own product. While I cannot speak for portable antennas for handhelds, I do have many years of experience using their fixed station colinears for both Amateur and commercial use and the difference between a genuine Diamond and a cheaper china-clone is night and day.

As for performance, it's subjective and very much down to an individual's installation. However, it's not simply about performance. It so happens I replaced a Diamond clone X300 with a genuine Diamond X300N a few months back, not because it worked better, but because it was built better. Proper rubber compression gaskets in the section joints (clone had none), 2 bolts holding the mounting pole sleeve to the antenna base (clone only had 1) and mounting hardware that doesn't rust.

I'm pretty confident I know which one would survive long term.

silverspring wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 21:56
All commercial gear is designed for mass market, if you can call Amateur Radio a mass market that is. Well I suppose it is, like in the way Kenwood and Icom VHF/UHF amateur radio transceivers are simply derivatives of their business/PMR range. Designed to fulfil a purpose, but not necessarily high performance. I've seen and heard better performance out of homebrew gear. Same deal with antennas. A dual band mobile antenna will always be a compromise antenna, so regardless of cost, it will be 'just ok' but nothing special.
Can't disagree for the most part, While it's been 25 years, I used to service and install VHF/UHF PMR equipment and back then, there was a significant difference between PMR and Amateur transceivers, the former being poor performers by comparison, but as you say, they are built for a specific task.

Anyway, I've started to drift OT so I'll stop waffling and good luck to the original poster in his quest.
Auldgeek - Drew