Why so many poorly educated in HR

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
damien
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: none

Why so many poorly educated in HR

Post by damien »

I finally decided looking at the 2000 or 3000 thousand dollars I have in Amateur radio, to simply admit its all over. After being harassed and interfered with and the FCC doing nothing plus the general low level to asleep walking conversations.. I say good bye after 50 years.
I was originally licensed as a novice in 1960 while in Junior High school. In those days you needed to pass muster to stay licensed. That met pass a 50 question exam where the answers were no pre published and 13 wpm code speed.

Interest in HR generally has faded and the power of wealth struggle to keep their financial ships a float so LOWER standards and draw in people of fairly below average IQ and not even a high school level education.
But, its not just these folks, its the god boring nets where they exchange signal reports and local weather forecasts plus gasoline prices.
Who that is NOT brain dead would stay in such a place for long.
Well as it turns out many of them are past 70 years of age and won't be around for long.

So I bid this once interesting science hobby good bye forever. Its just a question of should I ask the FCC to cancel my license which doesn't expire until 2029?
GaryWilson
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0GGQ

Re: Why so many poorly educated in HR

Post by GaryWilson »

God forbid we allow people of below average intelligence to enjoy the hobby!!! what ever next? cheap radios from China so poor people can join in!! Sorry but these kind of attitudes get right up my nose!!
26CT1836 2E0GGQ
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

Maybe that attitude is only in the states and not over here?

HMMMM!
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

So what are your plans now? If you're done with the hobby I wonder why you signed up to this forum, about the hobby you're leaving? Seems a little odd.....

As for the licence, just let it roll on. We all have phases in our life where Radio isn't a priority and many of us will sell up, and then regret that decision later. If the licence costs you nothing to run till 2029, then leave it, if it's a financial burden and you really are done with Ham Radio, then cancel and spend your money on a new hobby.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Picking up on a point made by MrWeetabix, I have been licensed for over 40 years (not quite your 50+ years) and in that time I have fallen out of love with the hobby for various reasons several times, so when ham radio hits a low for me I retreat to my roots of SWL and scanning, I have a radio on most of the day with my local UHF DMR repeater on, but I've done no HF for months. I've had a couple of fire sales in my time when I've got fed up with it and regretted it, so now I just stick the gear in a cupboard and wait for the itch to return.
And for the record, I quickly counted at least 21 grammatical errors in your High School educated rant.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

In the nearly 40 years since I was licences, I fell out of radio as a hobby to using radio as a job, then one day found my licence details still on OFCOMs database, so renewed it. It's totally different, standards are different, licence terms are different - new things in old things out.

It's unreasonable to expect hobbies to remain as they were. Interests changes as technology comes along at a fast rate. There is still pioneering work going on in ham land, but it's moved away from HF, 2 and 70 to bands were people are few and there are hurdles and obstacles to overcome. I don't do it, I'm not clever enough.

The real key fact for me is that in 1980, talking to somebody the other side of the world was hard, tricky, took time and money, and was a real goal. Kids today would just say "I can do that on my phone, and with pictures too" - ham radio attracts people for different reasons. Now the hobby is in strata. Loads of little areas people wish to work in. Despite access to the HF bands, many technically less proficient operators just don't use it. How many people ever use the bands above 1GHz? How many use top band? They all need specific things available to do it well.

As for being harassed and interfered with? What do you do that causes it, because it doesn't happen to everyone.

If you want to give up, do it? If you want to continue, that's fine too? Model railways is pretty interesting nowadays? Digital train control, audio in the locomotives, computer control, all the new lighting and electronics. I guess those folk who used to use clockwork and stuff like that must hate the electronics progress too.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Admiral wrote: I quickly counted at least 21 grammatical errors in your High School educated rant.
You need to get out more
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Hhhmmm. Accuses new entrants to the hobby of having a low IQ, and then wonders why new blood isn't coming into the hobby and it's dying.

With an attitude like that I must be forgiven for not begging you to change your mind and stay.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

Yep, cancel you ticket
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Buick Mackane wrote:
Admiral wrote: I quickly counted at least 21 grammatical errors in your High School educated rant.
You need to get out more
Greenhouses and rocks mukker.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
sickboy
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by sickboy »

Sell your radios then go join Mensa
https://www.mensa.org/how-to-join
Embrace your inner muppet !
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

He'd be happier in Densa.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
Checkpointcharlie
Banned
Banned

Post by Checkpointcharlie »

Joins a cb forum and asks the obvious lol.
Broad sword calling Danny boy......
310den
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by 310den »

He won't post again, just a typical idiot.
pat
Call Sign: 29LR001

Post by pat »