Mystery on Topband?

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Mystery on Topband?

Post by Andy »

I don't often listen on Topband at night (I'm usually propped up in front of the telly) but recently I've taken to having a quick tune around before settling down. The last few nights I've noticed a station on or around 1965 KHz playing music and making announcements. The speech is rather lacking in top and hard to read, especially as the signal is not strong and there's lots of fading. Mode is AM.
At first I thought my receiver had a spurious response, but listening via the various online SDRs show that the signal is really there.
Anyone know anything about this interloper?
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
dcwuk
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Mystery on Topband?

Post by dcwuk »

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
I'm commenting on an internet forum, why should your facts sway my opinion?
silverspring
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: G7OVK

Post by silverspring »

I've heard something similar but on 1960 KHz AM recently, usually starts around midnight. It sounds like a pirate station to me, similar to some of the Dutch stations that can be heard between 1610 - 1690 KHz, although it does seem a strange choice of frequency for a pirate. First time I heard it a few weeks ago the modulation was pretty full, like what you would expect from an AM broadcast station with heavy audio processing, but recently it sounded like the music was being played straight down a microphone. Worse than telephone quality at that.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Its no mystery, Its admiral and his 5 watt pye transmitter, He usually blasts out glen millar and vera lynn, And hes hard to understand because most of the time hes had a few carlsbergs and his gob is full of werthers unoriginals,
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

I do indeed pump it out on AM topband, but my signal only gets as far as the next village, we use 1964, so close, but no cigar for Buick Mackane this time.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Ha, thanks for the interest. It wasn't on last night. It did indeed sound like one of the Dutch pirates, but quite why anyone would stick it in topband is a mystery. I use AM on our 1963 KHz net on Friday and Sunday evenings. 28 watts PEP (7w carrier) into a 40 ft vertical. You can't beat a carrier and a full set of two sidebands!
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
26TM5890
Call Sign: 26TM5890

Post by 26TM5890 »

nice one. 1963 kHz any related to 963 kHz from the past you know; starts with a C ;)
Elecraft K2
President Grant II Premium
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Topband is very underrated, and often sneered at at the 'old man's' band, but a monthly net on double sideband with some locals is cool, we congregate on 1964 at 12 noon on the first Sunday of the month, and yeah, the chat is generally about arthritis and colons rather than rigs n twigs, but it's something to look forward to, and that's often rare in current life.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Admiral wrote:Topband is very underrated, and often sneered at at the 'old man's' band, but a monthly net on double sideband with some locals is cool, we congregate on 1964 at 12 noon on the first Sunday of the month, and yeah, the chat is generally about arthritis and colons rather than rigs n twigs, but it's something to look forward to, and that's often rare in current life.
Maybe iv'e cracked up. But i'm sure i read on another thread a while back where you said that you haven't been able to use topband in years due to QRM ?
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

You did, that was in Milton Keynes, and if you were paying attention I moved out of there 2 years ago, and there is another post somewhere that welcomes topband back into my life. Time flies when you're having fun.