Is anyone on in the Boston area?

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
albrecht

Is anyone on in the Boston area?

Post by albrecht »

Well just that really. It's the same with the Spilsby repeater, one only hears any activity sporadically. Just put my 4 band transmitting antenna back up, but listen on scanner too. Has the Friskney club closed?
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Is anyone on in the Boston area?

Post by Admiral »

GB3FR and GB3KY should be on your radar, I can hit both from my YLs QTH near Long Sutton on my 2w Chinese handie. Even with the flatness of the Fens I can't get back into my 'home' repeater GB3PE from there though, but with a 4 ele beam that should be doable for you since its relocation to Thorney Toll area.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

And one of the things we love about radio, when PE was on top of London Brick Works at Dogsthorpe there was a great signal in and out of the Skegness area, and there was loads of traffic with those guys/girls, now it's relocated about 7 miles closer(ATCF) to Skegness it's a blackspot and nothing from anyone there any more.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
albrecht

Post by albrecht »

I can get into the Kings Lynn repeater though.
albrecht

Post by albrecht »

There's flip all on the Spilsby repeater 145.775, or Asgarby on 430.950.
Merlinonline
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0CPX

Post by Merlinonline »

albrecht wrote:There's flip all on the Spilsby repeater 145.775, or Asgarby on 430.950.
That's strange I used to hear FR down in Hertfordshire during November/December when you get those foggy periods that seem to last a week, nice bit of lift going on. FR always seemed busy during the day, I remember feeling envious that GB3BF and GB3PI weren't as busy!
albrecht

Post by albrecht »

It's gone very quiet on FR for the last year or so. I mostly try calling during the day, but am running out of patience.
Merlinonline
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0CPX

Post by Merlinonline »

albrecht wrote:It's gone very quiet on FR for the last year or so. I mostly try calling during the day, but am running out of patience.
Unfortunately, you have to generate traffic for people to use Amateur radio whether it be a repeater or 70 cm band. If you can manage to connect with people and arrange small local nets then you will get others coming in. Last Sunday, GB3DC was connected via echolink to the allstar hub, never heard a repeater so busy. We were talking about this a few weeks ago, there seem to be fewer people mobile using repeaters now, in fact, fewer people mobile full stop. Maybe its the law they are worried about but it means there is a shift in the way repeaters are being used. Have a location search on QRZ and see who is in your area and drop them an email, saying that you're active in the area. OK some will haven't touched a radio for a few years, but you will soon find someone local who may be up for arranging a sked. Pop along to your local club, ask them if they do a club net, most clubs do one night a week either on 2 m or 70 cm.

As I said shame about FR, there sort of traffic it was handling was very much like GB3CR (70 cm North Wales) in the morning and evening is at the moment.