What Ham Radio Stuff did you buy today? (2017)

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: What Ham Radio Stuff did you buy today? (2017)

Post by Admiral »

Is it DMR?
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Admiral wrote:Is it DMR?
I wish! I'm sure it won't be long though. :think:
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

New addition to the shack today...a fantastic clean AC version of the FT-990,it stands me at nowt as paid for off the profit of all the radio gear i bought the other weekend,the rest of these are also freebies...President Madison with matching speaker,a Astron 20 amp PSU ,Hurricane 350 HF 350w mobile linear & Maas 60 amp PSU too,oh and also an Addonis AM-303G desk mike that works well with the FT-990 :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

Crusader wrote:New addition to the shack today...a fantastic clean AC version of the FT-990,it stands me at nowt as paid for off the profit of all the radio gear i bought the other weekend,the rest of these are also freebies...President Madison with matching speaker,a Astron 20 amp PSU ,Hurricane 350 HF 350w mobile linear & Maas 60 amp PSU too,oh and also an Addonis AM-303G desk mike that works well with the FT-990 :)
Lovely radio. Excellent purchase, especially at the "price" :)
Now all you need to do is buy the matching (and extremely rare) FT-650 to go with it. Oh, there just happens to be one of the bay right now.... :thumbup:
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

The 990 has silky, smooth, Barry White FM. All the other bits are okay, but for FM this is the bomb.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

kilimax wrote: Lovely radio. Excellent purchase, especially at the "price" :)
Now all you need to do is buy the matching (and extremely rare) FT-650 to go with it. Oh, there just happens to be one of the bay right now.... :thumbup:

:thumbup: Cheers pal,yep a lovely radio,i had one 5 years ago but had to sell it when i split up with my ex {bnghd} so this time its for keeps :)

Yep there was a FT-650 on HRD recently,it was at a high price & i could'nt justify spending too much for one as all i would be getting is the benefit of 6 meters which at the moment of the sun spot cycle is not open very often.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Crusader wrote: ,the rest of these are also freebies...President Madison with matching speaker,a Astron 20 amp PSU ,Hurricane 350 HF 350w mobile linear & Maas 60 amp PSU too,oh and also an Addonis AM-303G desk mike that works well with the FT-990 :)
Well get them up for sale at knock down prices for the boys to enjoy
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nah going to get some shelves up in the shack this next few weeks & fill the walls,i like a full shack brimming with gear that will also get used & enjoyed by myself :D
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »

Admiral wrote:The 990 has silky, smooth, Barry White FM. All the other bits are okay, but for FM this is the bomb.
Yep sounds good on FM both on rx & tx,saying that my Icom R-70 receiver also sounds great on FM.

I have just been listening to the AM broadcast stations on MW & had forgotten how nice the FT-990 also sounds on AM :D
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

Just had 4 of these arrive today...
dd8e1b4812230513dbc2ae88056607dc_Baofeng_bf-888s_radio_(48).jpg
Baofeng BF-888S UHF 400-470Mhz

Got the programming software and cable en-route too. They seem to be pre-programmed back-to-back at the moment, but have no way of knowing the freqs till I get home. I normally use the Dual Band UV5Rs for days out with the kids, but its easy to press the wrong button and/or inadvertently end up talking to site security on a campsite in Essex by mistake ;-)

They are UHF only and have 16 pre-programmed channels, which I am assuming I can have 1-8 as normal PMR and then 9-16 set somewhere else for more privacy, or have the PMR channels set with CTCSS for use in more congested areas.

I know my UV5R does some kind of Digital encoding, hoping these do, but no fuss if not. A nice cheap option for the kids to use. We're off to Bruntinghorpe at the weekend so they'll be ideal for that :thumbup: I may have a play with one on 70cm, but the UV5R is more versatile for that, so these will just be the day-rovers I think.

£36.99 from a UK-based distributor with a 24month warranty and free delivery. Cheap-as-Chinese-Chips
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Boring stuff really, just a couple of adaptor plugs SMA male to BNC and SMA male to SO239 to use with my APRS unit.
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

MrWeetabix wrote:Just had 4 of these arrive today...

dd8e1b4812230513dbc2ae88056607dc_Baofeng_bf-888s_radio_(48).jpg

Baofeng BF-888S UHF 400-470Mhz

Got the programming software and cable en-route too. They seem to be pre-programmed back-to-back at the moment, but have no way of knowing the freqs till I get home. I normally use the Dual Band UV5Rs for days out with the kids, but its easy to press the wrong button and/or inadvertently end up talking to site security on a campsite in Essex by mistake ;-)

They are UHF only and have 16 pre-programmed channels, which I am assuming I can have 1-8 as normal PMR and then 9-16 set somewhere else for more privacy, or have the PMR channels set with CTCSS for use in more congested areas.

I know my UV5R does some kind of Digital encoding, hoping these do, but no fuss if not. A nice cheap option for the kids to use. We're off to Bruntinghorpe at the weekend so they'll be ideal for that :thumbup: I may have a play with one on 70cm, but the UV5R is more versatile for that, so these will just be the day-rovers I think.

£36.99 from a UK-based distributor with a 24month warranty and free delivery. Cheap-as-Chinese-Chips
they was £36.99 for for with the programming leads and all the bits for 4 is that what your sying ? :o
love your familly
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

£36.99 for 4x radios, desk chargers, ear pieces and accessories.

The Software/programming cable cost me £2.09 delivered, which I think has just arrived, though I need to open the mail to see...

So all-in, about £40 the lot! :-D
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Transmission1
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM001

Post by Transmission1 »

MrWeetabix wrote:They are UHF only and have 16 pre-programmed channels, which I am assuming I can have 1-8 as normal PMR and then 9-16 set somewhere else for more privacy, or have the PMR channels set with CTCSS for use in more congested areas.
What you should do is program the "unofficial UHF CB frequencies" in as detailed on our very site:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30604

That's what I do usually so you have 8 above the normal PMR-446 channels - and it looks like these other 8 channels are going to be added legally in 2018 providing an extension to the EU PMR-446 standard so you'll be ahead of the game! ;) See here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53046 too.
Simon, 26TM001 - East Yorkshire, UK
Founder of Transmission1 & Tango Mike 26 Division Co-ordinator
http://www.tangomike.net/
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@transmission1
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

Transmission1 wrote: [SNIP] and it looks like these other 8 channels are going to be added legally in 2018 providing an extension to the EU PMR-446 standard so you'll be ahead of the game! ;).
SOD THAT! Why would I want to mix it with the masses when they become legal?? I'll pick somewhere else to hide! Shame they don't have the Alphas on 446 :-p