I'm giving up.

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

I'm giving up.

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Selling off all the radio stuff apart from one that will go in the car when some decent weather returns so I can fit it and the antenna.
My Local repeater has gone to Fusion and all I get now is digital noise, heard one person over the whole xmas break,
Echolink does not float my boat and I have removed it from my computer.
70cms is dead round here and even on 2m I can only get a poor north- south path because of the local topography.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Re: I'm giving up.

Post by MrWeetabix »

Sorry to hear this fella... :-(
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

We've all been there mate, often several times, don't have a fire sale, if you don't get a worthy price, and you can afford to do so, then stick the gear in mothballs until the 'itch' comes back.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Are you not interested in any HF? Its the main reason I want my Licence
M6LIG / 2E0LIG / 26TM1995

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
YAESU FT-857D - Watson W50 - HF-SE-360
Malahit SDR - Ground Loop
Panasonic DR28-LBE
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

nay27uk wrote:Are you not interested in any HF? Its the main reason I want my Licence
Can't do HF from my location.
Everything is back in boxes for maybe another five or so years. Sods law says every thing will be digital by then anyway.
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Oldman54 wrote:
nay27uk wrote:Are you not interested in any HF? Its the main reason I want my Licence
Can't do HF from my location.
Everything is back in boxes for maybe another five or so years. Sods law says every thing will be digital by then anyway.
True I can't have antennas up here as in a flat but it ain't gonna stop me trying. If you have dmr 70cm seems good.

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

Same here, I'm stuck in a City Centre ground floor flat while I get my eldest through Uni, I have a room full of exotic gear that I can't use because of not being able to put out antennas, but come the day when I get free from here I will dust them all off and annoy everyone again. I still use HF mobile when the bands are buzzing.
WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher »

Trouble is I may be stuck in this location now until they take me out in a box. {bnghd}
Admiral, I agree ground floor flats in urban locations are not good.
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I feel your pain mate, the grassed areas around my flat are classed as 'communal' so therefore I can't put anything out there, plus the landlord doesn't allow satellite dishes or anything, even washing lines, so I can hang something outside the window which is great for V/UHF, but absolutely nothing useful beyond a couple of miles for HF.
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

Sounds like you need to get into Amsat or EME, something where your location and terrain won't be a handicap.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Admiral wrote:I feel your pain mate, the grassed areas around my flat are classed as 'communal' so therefore I can't put anything out there, plus the landlord doesn't allow satellite dishes or anything, even washing lines, so I can hang something outside the window which is great for V/UHF, but absolutely nothing useful beyond a couple of miles for HF.
Exactly the same here Admiral we have a rather large grassed garden walkthrough area that is communal at the front of the property however mine is a 1st floor flat out of three floors and a Housing Association property, the housing association won't even allow Virgin to install Cable to the properties.

That's why when I first moved in here I sold my SS3900 and all my kit to go with it.

I have recently hidden a mobile Scanner antenna outside on a drainpipe and I intend on hiding a HF Longwire out there as well as we do have a bunch of coax on the wall outside that spans the whole block of flats and is about a quarter of a mile in length altogether, that I can wrap a long wire around.

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
Admiral
Legend
Legend

Post by Admiral »

I have a small HF active antenna, but the QRM it picks up around here makes it unusable, I have surreptitiously threaded a wire around as much of my flat as possible, and with a decent passive tuner can get reasonable results on HF RX.
ghost123uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM953

Post by ghost123uk »

I used to "mess" with using a passive tuner on all kinds of "metal", sometimes with pretty good results. I have used the metal guttering on a house I once lived at, and once I used a chain-link fence to both RX and TX on 11Mtrs, with surprisingly good results. If you are in an area with high QRM (I wasn't) then it likely wouldn't work so well :(
John, on the S. Cheshire / N. Shropshire border. 26TM953 / muppet handle "Grey ghost"
Don't just monitor, key up and talk, otherwise everyone thinks no one else is out there !!!
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

ghost123uk wrote:I used to "mess" with using a passive tuner on all kinds of "metal", sometimes with pretty good results. I have used the metal guttering on a house I once lived at, and once I used a chain-link fence to both RX and TX on 11Mtrs, with surprisingly good results. If you are in an area with high QRM (I wasn't) then it likely wouldn't work so well :(
Hmm QRM lots and lots of pilons within a stone throw from me.

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
Panasonic DR28-LBE
JohnB57
Call Sign: G0SJB

Post by JohnB57 »

If I've got your locator correct, GB7EP on DMR is in the adjacent square to you. DMR radios are very inexpensive compared with Fusion so for less than £100 you could stick a toe into the digital pond...

Apologies if I have misunderstood your signature in any way.