Agreement on radiation hazard?

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
crystalpalace2001
Registered New User
Registered New User

Agreement on radiation hazard?

Post by crystalpalace2001 » 21 Nov 2016, 13:27

Hi,

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

Considering getting a cheap Baofeng/pofung GT-5TP to muck about in the field (with a Diamond SRJ77CA antenna upgrade).

One of the video reviewers (I think it was HamRadioConcepts) talked about the supposed danger of having 8W (6-7W measured with dummy load it seems) antenna right next to your head. I did a few basic calculations and realised you are actually exceeding MPE values at the 20-30 cm the antenna is going to be away from your face and that you would need to have the antenna 40-50 cm away before you get below MPE values.

Is this something that worries anyone else? My default response has always been to shake my heads at the "we're living under a power-line"-crowd, but I suppose you're on less scientifically shaky ground regarding RF emissions. As far as I know, there still isn't conclusive, consistent evidence that mobile phone emissions do anything and they are roughly half of what 7W w/2.15 dBi gain antenna is.

Am I listening to the looneys or should I get a headset to keep the antenna away from my head?

Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Agreement on radiation hazard?

Post by Admiral » 21 Nov 2016, 14:14

Hello and welcome to TM1.

My opinion, and it is just an opinion as I have no medical training other than a Red Cross first aid certificate from 30 years ago, is that I personally do not want any RF next to my head, I use a speaker/mic even on my 1.8w 3-R, and no, I don't stick a mobile phone next to my ear either, I always use an earpiece.

Opinions will vary, there's always someone who suggests that their nan smoked 40 Woodbines a day and lived to be 106, but personally I'd rather not take the chance.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull » 21 Nov 2016, 16:21

Admiral wrote:Hello and welcome to TM1.

My opinion, and it is just an opinion as I have no medical training other than a Red Cross first aid certificate from 30 years ago, is that I personally do not want any RF next to my head, I use a speaker/mic even on my 1.8w 3-R, and no, I don't stick a mobile phone next to my ear either, I always use an earpiece.

Opinions will vary, there's always someone who suggests that their nan smoked 40 Woodbines a day and lived to be 106, but personally I'd rather not take the chance.
I agree with Admiral, have always used speaker mics with handhelds and the older "hand bag" portables, even back in the day when common power levels for them was a couple of watts on high power!
Over the years they have crept up in power available, as new radios come along with more efficient PA's etc., and thus we see these 8 watt jobbies kicking around.
I would not be holding that next to my head personally for any length of time, but as Admiral says not out of any medical knowledge, just gut feeling that it can't do you any good in the long run!

WeatherWatcher
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by WeatherWatcher » 21 Nov 2016, 16:28

Gut feeling here is no way, speaker mics on radios or proper hands-free on the mobile in the car.
Even the cheap PMR radios would benefit from being able to use speaker mics especially with kids using them.

This is just my opinion others may beg to differ.

Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral » 21 Nov 2016, 17:12

The late G4ILO, a TM1 member, died a couple of years ago from a horrible brain tumour (probably daft words as I doubt there are any nice ones), he was a great fan of handies and must have owned or used pretty much every one that was made since 2000, now I'm not making any links or speculation as it could never be proved either way, but things like that give you a big old dollop of reality.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

Transwarp
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp » 22 Nov 2016, 19:45

Holding a device that emits energy waves close to your brain is not a healthy thing to be doing. Mind you being x-rayed at airports, and breathing in the rubbish that's floating about in the air we breath can't be all that good either! Milliwatts is one thing, full watts though is another, so defo not recommended to be holding a handie putting out such just inches from the old noggin' :thumbdown:
"Did video really kill the radio star?"

paulears
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears » 22 Nov 2016, 22:12

I think we are in danger of seeing issues that do not seem to exist. Using a 6W handheld on 2m/70cm, Motorola testing concluded there is no danger using hand helds. Have a read here http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technolo ... 809031.pdf

The key feature here is that there is a difference in the strength of the energy measure when compared to the absorption and associated temperature rise. Microwaves have different properties to lower frequency radiation.