Diamond X-30 Tuning

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Re: Diamond X-30 Tuning

Post by FakeJake »

I don't think you need to break them apart, from what I remember. You can unscrew the internal element and SO239 from the bottom of the assembly...

Different makes/clones may vary
Jake 2E0SEY
Saltney, near Chester (Cheshire-Flintshire border)
Monitoring 2m simplex (when I can)
Dysgwr Cymraeg
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

FakeJake wrote:I don't think you need to break them apart, from what I remember. You can unscrew the internal element and SO239 from the bottom of the assembly...

Different makes/clones may vary
That's very true, usually the "guts" and socket can be withdrawn out of the bottom metal "hub", with the removal of the odd grub screw or two!
It's how they final assemble them in the first place, as opposed to gluing the fibre glass bit onto a sealed bottom block unit! ;)
I have had many Diamonds, Comets, Moonraker etc. amateur radio white sticks apart for repairs in the past.
Only one I have ever come across "fully sealed" and not easily disassembled, was a "Decca" branded, VHF marine radio white stick.
But I am sure there must be others.
DaveP
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2E0DDF

Post by DaveP »

The Diamond X-30 is pre-tuned I would not try and alter the antenna. I assume you have calculated the length of coax so it is also resenant on the frequency. It should be in equal half waves plus a quarter and it depends on the coax used due to the volosaty factor, exactly what a half wave length should be. Might I suggest you visit M5BXB web site it has loads of information including a coax calculator, that can be down loaded and used at any time. Once you have your coax resend the the SWR will drop dramatically. I use the X-300 with similar SWR readings as you, as I as using a random length of coax, Steve (M5BXB) gave me the calculator and I trimmed my LMR 400 to the nearest length which worked out to 18 Half waves plus a quarter, my SWR is now 1.2.1 over 2 meg.
73's Dave
Yeasu FT-897 wide banded, MD100 mic, Yeasu FT-857, Yeasu FT-8800r, Diamond X300 2/70, A pair of phased shunt type loops for 2/70. 6 meter shunt type loop, Windom 20m to 10m long wire, Antron 99s for 10 and 12 meters. As you can see Im a Yeasu Man and loopy to boot. :D