is it legal to have a vhf in car

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Re: is it legal to have a vhf in car

Post by kr0ne »

MrWeetabix wrote:Surely it can't be allowed to be shown on a background check if you are released without charge?

Anyone in-the-know with plod that could confirm this?
You'd think, wouldn't you?

I'd always been under the impression that if you are not charged then they don't keep a record of your arrest, but both our government and the Yanks seem to advise that an arrest without charge *can* disqualify you from the visa waiver program...

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... quirements

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-wai ... quirements
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

StormShadow wrote:then I started explaining Ham radio to them, then they drove off shortly afterwards
Yes. That will happen... :shh:
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Post by MrWeetabix »

'DON'T PANIC LADS'

*as he pulls out a Yellow Tabard and a name badge*

'I'M WITH RAYNET'

..............2 months later, at his bail hearing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Just a quick thought for the theorists here banging on about intention, if I hold a Foundation Licence and am operating a rig that does 60w on high power and 10w on low power, and I have it set to low power, will you perceive an intention from me that I may press the HI/LO power button when no one is looking? I am in possession of a radio that can contravene the terms of my licence, does that make it an 'offence' for me to have that radio?
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Farty »

No, it does not. No more than my Hayabusa means I intend to speed every time I ride it.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

He should have just pulled a doughnut, jumped the car over a nearby river and given it a quick blast on the Dixie horn as he disappeared in a cloud of orange dust.

Yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaa!
FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Post by FakeJake »

kr0ne wrote:He should have just pulled a doughnut, jumped the car over a nearby river and given it a quick blast on the Dixie horn as he disappeared in a cloud of orange dust.

Yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaa!
With all of the above being broadcast live on 145.500 at full power 8)
Jake 2E0SEY
Saltney, near Chester (Cheshire-Flintshire border)
Monitoring 2m simplex (when I can)
Dysgwr Cymraeg
daz3210

Post by daz3210 »

OK, a few bits of experience here.

First off, my father was arrested a few years ago on suspicion of assault after a Christmas Party. Long story, but there was an altercation in which a young lady was knocked over and Dad was in the vicinity. Dad was released after interview without charge. When he applied for a visa he had to answer whether he had been arrested, so went to cop shop to ask how he should answer. Copper on desk was very good and (although he maybe shouldn't) checked the computer and there was no record of the arrest.

Second, I was once walking home with a handheld CB (around 11pm) and was stopped by a copper asking why I was walking late at night listening to a scanner. I explained it was a CB, so he took it off me and spoke with the mate (using my radio) to ask what we had been speaking about. Satisfied he let me on my way.

Third thought. If I have a 'plumbed in' radio in my car for ham use (thus needing a licence), when I take it in for service, if a licence is required, then surely only a fellow ham can test drive the car. That would be a silly situation would it not?
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

daz3210 wrote:Second, I was once walking home with a handheld CB (around 11pm) and was stopped by a copper asking why I was walking late at night listening to a scanner. I explained it was a CB, so he took it off me and spoke with the mate (using my radio) to ask what we had been speaking about. Satisfied he let me on my way.
Was that before or after they got rid of the license requirement for CB........ :evil:
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

FakeJake wrote:
kr0ne wrote:He should have just pulled a doughnut, jumped the car over a nearby river and given it a quick blast on the Dixie horn as he disappeared in a cloud of orange dust.

Yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaa!
With all of the above being broadcast live on 145.500 at full power 8)
You got your ears on Skeeter, come on?
daz3210

Post by daz3210 »

kr0ne wrote:
daz3210 wrote:Second, I was once walking home with a handheld CB (around 11pm) and was stopped by a copper asking why I was walking late at night listening to a scanner. I explained it was a CB, so he took it off me and spoke with the mate (using my radio) to ask what we had been speaking about. Satisfied he let me on my way.
Was that before or after they got rid of the license requirement for CB........ :evil:
If my memory is correct it was 1995, certainly no later than then. So I think before.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Should have grassed him up to the DTI! :lol:
daz3210

Post by daz3210 »

kr0ne wrote:Should have grassed him up to the DTI! :lol:
For what?
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Being an 11m pirate, of course...
daz3210 wrote:I explained it was a CB, so he took it off me and spoke with the mate (using my radio) to ask what we had been speaking about.
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

copper should grow up theres bad stuff happening and hes starting that rubbish waste of tax payers money balloon
love your familly