Old 11 meter ham band

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Re: Old 11 meter ham band

Post by Admiral »

Yankin' ya chain,

Being a second class ham 70cm was very important to me, and apart from the recent take up of DMR, I have to confess to a degree of hypocrisy as I didn't really use it for almost 20 years.

I never had the face for TV, so never got into TX, I did however do a good amount of RX back in the day.

Apart from the DMR repeater it's as dead as a dodo around here, we are now exploring DMR simplex as a new way to keep 70cm alive, and it's not just the young guys getting involved, some of us old 'uns are getting involved too.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

Admiral wrote:Yankin' ya chain,

Being a second class ham 70cm was very important to me, and apart from the recent take up of DMR, I have to confess to a degree of hypocrisy as I didn't really use it for almost 20 years.

I never had the face for TV, so never got into TX, I did however do a good amount of RX back in the day.

Apart from the DMR repeater it's as dead as a dodo around here, we are now exploring DMR simplex as a new way to keep 70cm alive, and it's not just the young guys getting involved, some of us old 'uns are getting involved too.
Nowt wrong with simplex operation of course, pre dates any repeaters or internet linked wonders, and served folks well for many years, decent antenna and feeder, and 70 cms has surprising coverage.
Fine on wanting to dabble on DMR simplex to "keep it alive", but to be honest with a bit of effort analogue simplex works amazingly well up there, be it SSB or FM!
But DMR is the current flavor of the month, and far be it for me to stifle modern experimentation, as long as the band actually gets used, and not by "its my ball and I'm going home" systems linking infrastructure wannabes! :thumbup:
JohnB57
Call Sign: G0SJB

Post by JohnB57 »

Admiral wrote:Show me some quotes or it didn't happen cowthief.
"70 cms will never last - it cooks kittens' brains" (G7H**)
"If 70 cms remains established in the UK, I'll cancel my RSGB membership and stop travelling in ladies' underwear" (G3K**)
"70 centimetres is too long for microwave and too short for VHF - it's doomed, I tell you. Doomed!" (Private Frazer)
"2 watts of 70 cms at 100 miles is far more than is needed to completely deafen Fylingdales and Menwith Hill - we have to kill it forthwith" (MoD)
"Broadsword calling Danny Boy. Come in Danny Boy." (Broadsword. Sadly, he never established contact with Danny Boy...)
Just a few quotes from my extensive collection. Is that enough for you, Bullspit Merchant?
Crusader
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Crusader »