70 megs what antenna what radio do u use

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
mastercare
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: g4sbx

70 megs what antenna what radio do u use

Post by mastercare » 05 Mar 2016, 18:14

now im back on ham radio agn playing with 4 meter band with a anytone 588, but not happy with my receive using a commercial ant..
curious to know what u guys using and find best...
cheers
paul

kilimax
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Re: 70 megs what antenna what radio do u use

Post by kilimax » 06 Mar 2016, 17:07

For SSB, I use an Icom IC-7100 and an Inovantenna 8 ele Dual Band Yagi (4 ele 4m + 4 ele 6m)
For FM use, I have Watson 1/2 wave end fed vertical. I have a Wouxon KG-UV950PL Quad band mobile with 4m that I normally use with the Watson vertical.
Kilimax - Drew
Amateur Callsign GM0BRJ
Tango Mike Callsign 108TM144

I've changed my equipment so many times, I've forgotten what I have

G8YMW

Post by G8YMW » 07 Mar 2016, 02:20

In my case I use, for mobile, a Wouxon handheld feeding a sawn off DV27 (42" ?).
For homebase, the radio is an Icom 7100 feeding either a Sirio CX4-68 or a homebrew innovantennas 11 ele dual band (6 on 6, 5 on 4)

Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral » 07 Mar 2016, 09:22

I have an old low band taxi magmount, probably about ¼ wave. I only use it for RX though on a scanner as my 706 don't like 4m too much.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

steepeljack69
Call Sign: 26SF333

Post by steepeljack69 » 07 Mar 2016, 11:51

Best aerial I have is a 4m vertical that I bought off my mate Mark who makes and sells the cobwebb Aerials on eBay as well as other quality items he sells.I also used the Anytone on 4m also my FT847,I first got a 4m dipole off Moonraker or one of the radio suppliers,it was OK but when I put the vertical up the difference was out of this world.A friend copied the vertical and he also swears by them.If u know wat ur doing and have a old silver rod type vertical u r on to a winner.4m is pretty busy round Leeds,Bradford and Harogate.its a good band as the muppets have to go out and buy more kit so they don't bother.Good luck .

Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy » 13 Mar 2016, 11:32

For SSB I use a 4-ele Yagi and for FM a half-wave base-fed vertical. Both from Sandpiper.
If it ain't broke, it soon will be!
Andy.

2E1IIP

Post by 2E1IIP » 13 Mar 2016, 13:41

I use a homebrew LFA yagi for SSB, and a homebrew J-Pole for my 4M Echolink node (currently offline).

FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Post by FakeJake » 13 Mar 2016, 14:13

Commercial dipole and a 1/4 wave whip for mobile. Philips FM1000 for the radio
Jake
Monitoring GB3CR & GB7HM(DMR)

LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder » 13 Mar 2016, 18:04

For homebase op i run a PRC351 which drives an ancient PYE low band amp...homemade 5/8 antenna high up the stack.. Mobile a Wouxun dual band handie again.driving another PYE amp into a 1/4 whip...

Cracking band n a distinct lack of repeaters.is good cos it dont attract the halfwits

GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull » 14 Mar 2016, 10:33

I use an old Ascom 550 for 4 meters FM mobile, its modified to include an old CB "S" meter which I built into the extension speaker, the feed for the meter, which inside the radio is derived from a IF buffer amplifier/rectifier "S" meter driver circuit, basically ripped off from an old CB diagram, is taken up a multi core cable using one of the unused multi-pins on rear of radio, two other conductors in the multi core carry the speaker feed, takes the guess work out of giving signal reports! :D
The last core in it carries DC for a meter back light, and the shield is common ground.
The mic input connector is also modified, using some unused pins, to include up/down external channel stepping and the "cut off" original mic cable, which of course has the right connector for front of radio on the end of it, now terminates in a standard inline 7 pin mic socket.
I chose a 7 pin as it matches an old FT290R mic I had lying about, which of course has up/down buttons included, and that's what I tend to use on it, sounds a lot better than the supplied stock mic, according to other stations reports.
I can now use any mics other than the original, with included up/down buttons, and "channel step" from the mic instead of front of radio.
It also has a small PC fan in a housing keeping the PA block cool when on long periods of high power, just viewable in the photo, its the grey rectangle on the rear of the PA block cooling fins.
Apologies for quality of photo!
DSCF0016.JPG

For SSB its a home brew 28/70 MHz transverter, loosely based on the old PW Meon, but with a different TX mixing device, and better spec front end devices, that gives 10 watts RF out for 0.5 watts RF drive, which usually comes from a FT817.
The transverter has switchable inbuilt TX attenuator, so It can be driven by other radio's up to 15 watts, as sometimes I use it with an old Belcom LS102 10 meter radio.
I also use one of the old Pye low band amplifiers, good old bricks to be fair.
The bias circuit as supplied is quite crude in some respects, they were only really designed for a bit of AM amplification, so I have modified that somewhat, and it gives a good 65 watts clean output on SSB, when driven by the transverter.
For vertical its a homebrew end fed half wave vertical, built into an old stripped out VHF/UHF co-linear white stick, for horizontal its just a simple inverted V at the moment, but plan to make a yagi one of these days.
For mobile its a quarter wave vertical, on a mag mount.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FakeJake
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 2E0SEY

Post by FakeJake » 14 Mar 2016, 21:41

Very nice!
Jake
Monitoring GB3CR & GB7HM(DMR)

albrecht
Regular
Regular

Post by albrecht » 19 Mar 2016, 10:16

I use a Nevada half wave antenna and the Anytone FM mobile set, also their handheld. Not a lot of activity other than on the Louth Parrot around here.

pete_uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by pete_uk » 22 Mar 2016, 10:53

Some fire stations still have 70mhz yagi's on them. You could always offer your services.

Or it might disappear in the night..

GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull » 22 Mar 2016, 14:42

pete_uk wrote:Some fire stations still have 70mhz yagi's on them. You could always offer your services.

Or it might disappear in the night..
I actually have a VHF low band white stick, very nice build quality, molded flying cable terminated in an inline N socket, that came off a fire station, it was one of a group of 4 that were mounted alloft the tower platform there, one on each corner.
It seems to work fine on 4 meters, as it should, but its quite a bit bigger than my current homebrew half wave end fed, and sits currently in the garage.