customs

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
clive

Re: customs

Post by clive »

He could always take one with him, an old one. Post that back to me with box of new one. Then bring new one back, if stopped say it is one he took out.

Ok on Dubai, strange how they ignore one and spot another.

Thanks for the info.
gmham
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 108TM154

Post by gmham »

Problem is you've then got the price off posting the item back to the uk which if its anything like this way round wont be cheap then if customs do open the parcel as far as they are concerned new box / new item = tax ??!! personally would as suggested remove packaging put in suitcase as if taken there / already used and post the flat pack boxes back to the uk.
Yaesu FTDX10
Kenwood TS711e
Anytone D578UV Pro+

Moxon antenna for 10/20 mtrs

——
John - 108TM154 / 108CO154
clive

Post by clive »

Yeah,

It is swings and roundabouts eh.

Cheers John.
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

I've never had any problems with bringing stuff back from the states. I just put things like that in my checked luggage. I've even bought back food products as well, I don't think there that bothered to be honest.
clive

Post by clive »

Yeah,

Might be the way.

Have you bought rigs in or the accessories.
VintageTin
Call Sign: 26TM516

Post by VintageTin »

Radios stuffed in checked luggage, just a bit of tax evasion.

Food stuffed in checked luggage potential agricultural/horticultural disaster. Foot and mouth disease outbreaks have been thought to have been caused this way.
Malcolm
clive

Post by clive »

no food stuffs Malcolm, just radio equipment.

Cheers

Clive
VintageTin
Call Sign: 26TM516

Post by VintageTin »

No, not you Clive.

I was referring to the post two above mine.
Malcolm
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

A bit of foot and mouth seems fair enough in light of the devastating plagues and epidemics visited on the indigenous population of that particular continent by the traveling Europeans of the past...
StormShadow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by StormShadow »

I've bought back a few mics, a CB radio and a 50MHz PMR radio. I take my Baofengs there to use the FRS/GMRS and I've taken a hand held scanner there with me as well. I've never had a problem bringing stuff back and taking a few little radios there with me, they have never asked to look in my luggage.
clive

Post by clive »

Cheers,
That's worth knowing.
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

It's pure luck. Terrorist scare at an airport Tuesday, Wednesday sees everyone, everywhere being extra diligent. One in three is my figure for customs looking at incoming parcels, and charging. A friend had a bit of music kit in his case coming out of Berlin, and the curly cables and batteries were enough for them to pull his case of the line. I guess it's down to how interested the X-Ray people are, and perhaps knowledgeable. If they see lots of X-Ray radio kit, they will know what it is. If they don't, they'll be interested. I also suspect that the VAT and Duty is an available 'punishment' if they fancy it!
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

paulears wrote:It's pure luck. Terrorist scare at an airport Tuesday, Wednesday sees everyone, everywhere being extra diligent. One in three is my figure for customs looking at incoming parcels, and charging. A friend had a bit of music kit in his case coming out of Berlin, and the curly cables and batteries were enough for them to pull his case of the line. I guess it's down to how interested the X-Ray people are, and perhaps knowledgeable. If they see lots of X-Ray radio kit, they will know what it is. If they don't, they'll be interested. I also suspect that the VAT and Duty is an available 'punishment' if they fancy it!
A lot depends on the size of item you attempt to bring back as "taken out" hand luggage as well!
A purchased overseas "handy" chucked in with your smalls, or that fancy wrist watch you "wear back through customs" most likely will go unnoticed or ignored, that large shiny new flagship radio, taking up the best part of a suitcase?
Might not be as easily fobbed off as "its just the stuff I took out....honest!" ;)
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

You could always pick up a cheap assault rifle at Wal-Mart then cheerfully hand it in at the 'Something to declare' desk in the hope they will be too preoccupied with that to pay any attention to the suitcase full of "just ham radios"..... :P
clive

Post by clive »

I will think about that one !!!!!

Thought about it and its not a good idea!!!!

Lol