Radio Rallies 2016 - RSGB Link

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin
Call Sign: 26TM175

Radio Rallies 2016 - RSGB Link

Post by MrWeetabix »

Hello All,

Here is a list of all the UK Radio rallies for 2016

http://rsgb.org/main/news/rallies/

May our beards be shabby and our tweed jackets equally-so! haha :ugeek:
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Re: Radio Rallies 2016 - RSGB Link

Post by nay27uk »

Funny I have not loged in to the site for at least a week and have just been researching Radio Rallies and I am seriously thinking of trying to organise a new Leicester Rally as there used to be regular ones at Granby Halls and then Aylestone Leisure Center but there has been nothing now in Leicester for at least 20 years.

I think I know how to organise one but how do I go about spreading the word I.E advertising it would I be allowed a banner or post on here maybe
M6LIG / 2E0LIG / 26TM1995

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
YAESU FT-857D - Watson W50 - HF-SE-360
Malahit SDR - Ground Loop
Panasonic DR28-LBE
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: 26AT239

Post by Tim »

It's much the same procedure in organising any event, after you have fixed a date, hired and paid for the venue, organised your public liability insurance and catering the main thing is advertising, inform the RSGB so they can put it in their calendar of events, put it in the radio related magazines, local papers, local radio and your local Ham club, they will pass it on to other clubs and by word of mouth. Print up little flyers with the event details and hand them to stall holders at the rallies you attend or send them by post to other clubs inviting them to have a stall at your event and don't over charge them. Don't forget to include the CB radio fraternity as well. I'm sure that any radio related site that you subscribe to would welcome advertising an event, or they should. When organising, don't try to do it on your own, get your local operators to help you. It can be hard work for something that will go on for just a few hours but it would be fun and if successful can be built upon for the next year.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Rather than being a one man band, I would form a committee of people with specific skills in their day job, an administrator, an advertiser, an accountant, H&S, an event co-ordinator, caterer etc.

And as Tim rightly said, don't forget to make it a radio rally and not a ham rally, so that CBers, freebanders, SWL's, 446ers, scanners and all of the dwindling radio community feel welcome and there is something of interest for everyone.

If it is a not for profit event then I am confident that TM1 admin would be very supportive with promoting the event here.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
nay27uk
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by nay27uk »

Thanks for the remarks guys interesting points
M6LIG / 2E0LIG / 26TM1995

Baofeng UV5R+
Boafeng RD-5R
YAESU FT-857D - Watson W50 - HF-SE-360
Malahit SDR - Ground Loop
Panasonic DR28-LBE
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

I'd be happy to get behind this and support it through TM1. I am sure Simon wouldn't mind either.
26TM175. OP: Craig. QTH: Gateshead IO94EW. Also 163TM175 when mobile in Wales 8)

Transmission1 on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TM1onFB | Tango Mike on Facebook http://tinyurl.com/TangoMikeFB |
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

I'm quite surprised that there is not already a topic for posting up radio rallies, I only started going to them last year and went to 6 within a hour and a half driving time to the furthest away and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, met a lot of very friendly people, have made friends with a lot of stall holders that come from far and wide, met up with operators that I've spoken to putting faces to voices and come away with some good stuff at very reasonable prices. A lot say that the rallies are not as good or as big as they used to be but I say no good looking back, you must look forward and keep these events going, it's all part of keeping the hobby alive and kicking.
MrWeetabix
Admin
Admin

Post by MrWeetabix »

This WAS the topic. I can create a new one 2017 if required

Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

In that case can I bring to everyone's attention the MKARS annual rally.
Please remember that it has moved venues a few times in the last 5 years, so take a note of the new venue and don't go to the old ones if you've been before.

Milton Keynes Amateur Radio Society
2017 Rally
Sunday 27th August 2017
The Irish Centre, Manor Fields, Watling Street, Bletchley, MK2 2HX
(Opposite Dobbies Garden Centre)
ENTRANCE FEE £3.00 - FREE PARKING
The Milton Keynes Amateur Radio Society (MKARS) annual radio rally is to be held at this superb new location, which has excellent modern facilities together with free on site parking, catering and disabled facilities.
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC FROM 10AM
The new venue is located on the edge of Fenny Stratford on Watling Street.
From M1 Junction 13 - 7 miles (approx. 16 mins)
From M1 Junction 14 - 6.4 miles (approx. 15 mins)
Follow MKARS signs from the A5 roundabout Fenny Stratford
TALK IN ON 145.550MHZ (S22)
Indoor trade stalls, club stall, electronics components tools and accessories. Antenna and rigging hardware, computer and electronics surplus.
TRADER/EXHIBITOR ENQUIRIES
Outdoor pitches are available from £15 (£10 if pre-booked) or indoor tables at £15 (pre-book only). Special interest groups (not trading/selling) FOC outdoors subject to prior approval by MKARS. Please email [email protected] for a booking form or call/text Tim on 07866 673 192.
For up to the minute information you can follow us on twitter @mkars_rally !
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

Or, if anyone wants to know when and where for the whole year.........................http://rsgb.org/main/news/rallies/
stanogs68
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stanogs68 »

Tim wrote:Or, if anyone wants to know when and where for the whole year.........................http://rsgb.org/main/news/rallies/
ive just looked and missed the closest to me the stockport rally on the 8th of july ,have to try the hanger sale at nantwich but its ive missed the lovely weather this weekend
love your familly
k40
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM788

Post by k40 »

Gutted :( :( best closest rally cancelled who knows if it will be back.

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION

South Yorkshire Repeater Group have reluctantly decided to cancel the 2017 Great Northern Hamfest.

We would like to thank everyone for their loyalty and custom over the years and wish them the best for the future.

South Yorkshire repeater group would like to give due recognition to Ernie G4LUE for his tireless efforts over the last 28 years as manager of the Great Northern Hamfest and who has decided to retire from this position.
Tim
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Tim »

K40, that's the problem, as with any event, if you have no backup and people behind you to step up, it doesn't happen, no-one can do it on their own and it's the lack of enthusiasm and drive from others that kill these events and without that backing you're dead in the water.

For anyone within reach, just a reminder that tomorrow, Sunday 17th, the Weston Super Mare rally is being held at The Campus, Highlands Lane BS24 7DX. Details are on the RSGB website. Doors open 10.00am admission £3. Roughly an hour and half drive up the M5 for us down here.
RDG
Registered New User
Registered New User

Post by RDG »

nay27uk wrote: 08 Jul 2017, 23:04 Funny I have not loged in to the site for at least a week and have just been researching Radio Rallies and I am seriously thinking of trying to organise a new Leicester Rally as there used to be regular ones at Granby Halls and then Aylestone Leisure Center but there has been nothing now in Leicester for at least 20 years.

I think I know how to organise one but how do I go about spreading the word I.E advertising it would I be allowed a banner or post on here maybe
Lol Good timing!