Using Powerline Devices? £5000 Fine! (BPL/PLT)

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Using Powerline Devices? £5000 Fine! (BPL/PLT)

Post by delboyonline »

Using Powerline Devices (Broadband Over Powerlines)?

You could end up with a £5000 fine or 3 months in prison....

http://delboyonline.blogspot.co.uk/2016 ... -face.html
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Using Powerline Devices? £5000 Fine! (BPL/PLT)

Post by delboyonline »

Oggy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oggy »

Now two years of this on my radio..........best news for a long time.
Go one further ban the things fully, devices of Satan :thumbdown:
delboyonline
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by delboyonline »

Oggy wrote:Now two years of this on my radio..........best news for a long time.
Go one further ban the things fully, devices of Satan :thumbdown:
Yes I agree or at least make retailers responsible for them. A couple of hefty fines and they'll soon stop selling them....!
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Depends how much they are making selling them... Ofcom enforcement action in other areas has shown that persistent offenders with a commercial interest can be quite shrewd in their decisions about whether or not to comply with regulation and will often base their decision solely on whether the potential fine if caught outweighs the profit guaranteed by ignoring the legislation.

To be fair though, I don't think much has really changed here. It's not like they're going to be dishing out fines to people "caught" using these devices. The punishments cited in the Telegraph article are simply the maximum penalties that can be imposed if you refuse to comply with an order from Ofcom and continue to deliberately and persistently cause interference after being instructed to stop!
Mattylad
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: RDX64

Post by Mattylad »

I wont expect my signal floor to lower any time soon.
LeakyFeeder
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by LeakyFeeder »

Can really see the court system bunged up with thousands of prosecutions that Ofclot are handing out....

Saying n doing >>>>>>>worlds apart™
grafter
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by grafter »

Best of luck enforcing that, pretty sure the new Sky boxes have PLT built into them alongside WiFi for connection to on demand boxes in other rooms.

A year on from the article you're linking too, any idea of the number of successful prosecutions by Ofcom?
my friend grafter, seems like you are using a very offensive tone in the reply.
GeeFull
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by GeeFull »

grafter wrote:Best of luck enforcing that, pretty sure the new Sky boxes have PLT built into them alongside WiFi for connection to on demand boxes in other rooms.

A year on from the article you're linking too, any idea of the number of successful prosecutions by Ofcom?
Exactly its been a year since this "news" first appeared, I would bet good money the courts have not been rushed off their feet coping with all the prosecutions! ;)
And I seriously doubt Ofcom have taken on hundreds of new foot soldiers to go out and actualy investigate then enforce it!
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

There was never any suggestion that anyone would be prosecuted for using these devices!

All the aricle said was that if Ofcom investigated a complaint about interference and one of these devices was found to be the cause, Ofcom could instruct the user to stop using it. If they then refused to comply with Ofcom's instructions then they could be prosecuted.

Hasn't this always been the case?
zippy
Call Sign: 26TM537

Post by zippy »

kr0ne wrote:There was never any suggestion that anyone would be prosecuted for using these devices!
There was, delboyonline has a big banner with '£5000 fine' written on it, I would have thought a question mark after would have been more appropriate.

I cant disagree with the sentiments expressed here, these things seem to be be some of the dirtiest rf generaters on the planet.
Alinco DR135DX, Baofeng UV-5R, TYT MD380 (UHF), Realistic Pro-2035, JRC NRD-545 DSP, whitestick and ½ wave silver pole on the chimney and various lengths of wire draped around the garden.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

LOL, well you can't blame him for misunderstanding... he didn't read the date at the top of the article so might not have read the rest of it either! :P

Original thread here: http://transmission1.eu/viewtopic.php?f ... 2F#p402775