Dirt cheap dual band radios

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Buick Mackane

Dirt cheap dual band radios

Post by Buick Mackane »

Anybody bought one of these ? For the price they're very tempting, Are they worth buying ? or just more oriental junk ? Opinions gentlemen.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UHF-20W-VHF-2 ... Swv0tVZ9sG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leixen-VV-898 ... SwEgVWRKpC
I Am the great cornholio are you threatening me ?
Farty
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Dirt cheap dual band radios

Post by Farty »

The Leixen has had some respectable reviews.
In Before The Lock Champion of Total Magnificenceness May 2016
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Farty wrote:The Leixen has had some respectable reviews.
Cheers farty, I just noticed theres some reviews over at eham, Surely worth a go at the price.
Tigersaw
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW6RRL

Post by Tigersaw »

I handled one at the last rally, got the impression it was a bumfeng type clone with a PA in a bigger tin
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Tigersaw wrote:I handled one at the last rally, got the impression it was a bumfeng type clone with a PA in a bigger tin
Probably mate, Don't expect them to be quality products at the price. But cheap starter radios for new license holders,
takara

Post by takara »

If you're interested in the Leixen Martin Lynch list them at 59.95. so even better than your fleabay listing. A decent enough rig but consensus is that it needs a mod to the mic.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

takara wrote:If you're interested in the Leixen Martin Lynch list them at 59.95. so even better than your fleabay listing. A decent enough rig but consensus is that it needs a mod to the mic.
Thats good to know, Cheers for the info :)
paulears
Top Poster
Top Poster
Call Sign: G4RMT

Post by paulears »

It's fine. The fan is quite noisy, and as it uses the same programming system as many other chinese radios, it's a bit of a slowcoach programming from the front panel. It does get quite warm. Audio through the mic isn't a problem on mine? It's very small. No real complaints at all - and as said, dirt cheap.

I bought four for a project for a client, and kept one for myself, as I usually do. It's fine through my UHF repeater - I cannot tell it's audio from other radios on the system.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

paulears wrote:It's fine. The fan is quite noisy, and as it uses the same programming system as many other chinese radios, it's a bit of a slowcoach programming from the front panel. It does get quite warm. Audio through the mic isn't a problem on mine? It's very small. No real complaints at all - and as said, dirt cheap.

I bought four for a project for a client, and kept one for myself, as I usually do. It's fine through my UHF repeater - I cannot tell it's audio from other radios on the system.
The Leixen ? or the other one i posted a link too? Cheers for the info.
MW6ZAN
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by MW6ZAN »

The old saying is you get what you pay for and to be honest in ref to the cheaper china specials its correct, i have two baofengs and a wouxon duel bander putting them up against my yeasu ft60e they are a pile of poo.Ok they do the job but build quality is questionable tx audio is thin and the plastic feels cheap not so on the yeasu ft60e their again at 25 pounds to purchase these radios they are bound to cut corners on quality also if purchasing off ebay from china if the handy goes faulty basically its a bin job dont bother get a good quality handset from a uk supplier also future proofing for repairs if problems occur.best 73 -•-
Auldgeek
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: GM0BRJ

Post by Auldgeek »

I briefly had the big brother of the first one. Made by QYT. I ended up having to ship it back to China to get a refund. It was a load of s**te. Unstable, random resets, power output fluctuations and deaf as a post on 2M band. While I would hope this was just a faulty example, the QC on the build was terrible almost like an early prototype. Cost me £100 delivered and I lost £25 shipping it back.

So, if you do buy one of these, ensure it is from a UK seller, with a genuine warranty and not a Chinese one hiding behind a electronic seller ID and fake Postal Address. You would probably be better off buying the one from Martin Lynch.

I ended up buying a Wouxun KG-UV950. I know the price is in a different league to these radios but so is the quality and performance.
Best of luck whatever you end up buying.
Auldgeek - Drew

Winner of IBTL Autumn 23 Edition
I've changed radios so many times, I've forgotten what I have :think:
GDRead
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: M6GGR

Post by GDRead »

I've got the moonraker badged version, been as good as gold. The only trouble has been trying to get the software to see the radio. Had no luck with either the moonraker USB lead or making an ftdi one up. Chirp doesn't support them yet. I programmed in the local repeat easy enough manually following a YouTube video. I get good reports locally and as a new M6 it's great (low power is 10w). Radcom positively reviewed it recently. Hambitz also sell their own version.
CB call sign back in the day was Oxocube
M6GGR
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

Cheers lads, I'll mull it over for a few days, Not desperately in need of a radio, Was just tempted by the price. But as mentioned above you only get what you pay for, Buy cheap and you'll get cheap i suppose.
zippy
Call Sign: 26TM537

Post by zippy »

im hoping to sit the foundation exam this year, would these sets be okay to use under the foundation equipment restrictions?
Alinco DR135DX, Baofeng UV-5R, TYT MD380 (UHF), Realistic Pro-2035, JRC NRD-545 DSP, whitestick and ½ wave silver pole on the chimney and various lengths of wire draped around the garden.
Buick Mackane

Post by Buick Mackane »

zippy wrote:im hoping to sit the foundation exam this year, would these sets be okay to use under the foundation equipment restrictions?
This one would be, Power output is 4/10 watts, The other one is 20/25 watts.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leixen-VV-898 ... SwEgVWRKpC