Slight Hum Query

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
DistantSignal

Slight Hum Query

Post by DistantSignal »

Hi guys, I've developed a slight hum on my transmission as of this morning. It's on 2m analogue only. It doesn't appear on 70cm or 2m DSTAR which is weird.

I'm running an Icom 5100 with a PS30SW2 power supply. The buzz appears on 5w, and I did a quick blank key to test on 15w and above and it's still apparent.

As far as I can see there's nothing in the house that has changed that could be causing the buzz but it's a strange one.

Any ideas?

Samalex
Call Sign: MM0

Re: Slight Hum Query

Post by Samalex »

2m antenna swr ? check the power supply volatge and the way you have cables connected and laid out.

make sure all conections are removed except antenna mic and power and try if still there check SWR. check the way the power cables go to the radio like wise with coax. if all clear add the cables one by one in to the radio see if it comes back
Andy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Andy »

Is the hum actually on your transmission? Most hums that you can hear from your own sigs are local effects caused by the RF intermodding on the mains 50/100 Hz and aren'y 'really' there. If I monitor my 160m transmissions on a portable radio, there is a strong 100Hz buzz present, but no-one else can hear any trace of it.
'SOMEONE GET ME A SAW!'
Andy.
DistantSignal

Post by DistantSignal »

Cheers, I'll check that out :)