Modulation on Alinco DJ-175 Handheld 2m Band

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
albrecht

Modulation on Alinco DJ-175 Handheld 2m Band

Post by albrecht »

I would be very grateful if anyone could please advise me whether there is any way of increasing the microphone gain on these radios?
Many handheld sets seem to have the microphone gain level set too low. Other stations give reports of quiet audio. One wonders why manufacturers seem to do this?
Thanks.
GW0DIV
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: GW0DIV

Re: Modulation on Alinco DJ-175 Handheld 2m Band

Post by GW0DIV »

They do it to give you narrow band FM!! Also lower mic gain means you transmit less of the background noise. If you increase your deviation you will probably find problems accessing repeaters which should be set for narrow FM.
http://www.facebook.com/southwalesradio

http://www.radioclubs.net/rars/

Twitter: @GW0DIV

President of Bristol Channel Repeater Group
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Personally I use an extension mic on my handies, one, the audio is generally better than the internal condenser that has a pinhole in the front case, two, I'm not keen on RF swirling around my earhole.

The mod for the Bumfeng predecessors (can't remember their name) was to get a 5mm drill bit and make the hole over the internal mic bigger.

Sorry, that doesn't answer your question, I have no idea, I'm sure there's a schematic floating about the www somewhere.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
albrecht

Post by albrecht »

Thanks, I'll probably buy an Icom next time, you can set the microphone gain on them I believe. Oh well, we live and learn.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Well don't give up on it, is there a narrow/wide setting in one of the myriad of menus? As above, most analogue repeaters will have a hissy-fit if the deviation is too much.

Obviously being FM, increasing mic audio voltage won't help, in fact will usually make the situation more dire. But a good quality extension mic will improve things no end.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
albrecht

Post by albrecht »

It's a pity that somboby doesn't make a speech processor mike for a two-pin input radio. I'v never heard of one.
albrecht

Post by albrecht »

Unfortunately there is nothing in the menus to increase microphone gain. I tried a good quality Icom microphone with it but the difference was minimal really.