Power cables getting really hot

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
dubo2319
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 26TM142

Power cables getting really hot

Post by dubo2319 »

Hi Guys
I wonder if you can help me.
I have got a Kenwood TS870 for last couple of days, and I have noticed that after I use radio with full power on SSB (70w) and FM (60w) my power cables getting really hot.

Also I do own Yaesu FT450d, and when using this radio with the same power supply cables stay cool.
Any help will much appreciated.
Thank you.
Last edited by dubo2319 on 05 Jun 2015, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
26TM142 ADAM
Kenwood TS-870, Sirio Gain Master,G5RV half dipole, Beyer Dynamic TGV35 Microphone, Allen and Heath IDr4.
Listening on 27.555 USB.
26TM944
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Call Sign: 26TM944

Re: Power cables getting really hot

Post by 26TM944 »

Both the Yaesu and Kenwood needs around 20amps at full power - which at 12v is quiet high - however you say the same cable only gets warm with the Kenwood connected?

Are the cable runs the same? Are they coiled up anywhere? Is the Kenwood OK? Full power? Do you have a current meter or does the PSU so you can see what is happening? Can you lower the Kenwood to say 10w - do you get the cables warming up then?

My old ICOM 7000 never heated it's cables at all during 100w SSB long QSOs, the radio yes, but never the supply cables.

It might be a poor connection at the radio causing a voltage drop which is raising the current demand - but you'll need a meter to prove this. Or of course a fault.

Oh one question is the cable the genuine one?

73 Steve
26-TM-944
  • A rig, twig & burner.
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Call Sign: 26TM157

Post by Admiral »

Make your mind up, are they getting really hot or really warm?
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition
dubo2319
Regular
Regular

Post by dubo2319 »

Hi Steve
Thank you for the reply.
I have just bought this radio on the ebay, and the guy told me that he never had such a problem.
The power cables are two different ones, and the PSU is the same which is 25A.
I will check the cable as is coiled up little bit behind my desk and I will check the connection plug of course as suggested.
I do not own a current meter but I will try to source one.
Cable doesn't look genuine, however the gauge of the cable looks fine similar to my Yeasu cables.
I will check the radio with 10W and see if they will warm up sounds a such a good idea.
The other think I have noticed as well is the power output drop, when mic is keyed on the FM I am getting 60W and than drops to 50w and again after a split second is coming back to 60W.
Thank you for your help.
Adam
26TM142 ADAM
Kenwood TS-870, Sirio Gain Master,G5RV half dipole, Beyer Dynamic TGV35 Microphone, Allen and Heath IDr4.
Listening on 27.555 USB.
dubo2319
Regular
Regular

Post by dubo2319 »

Admiral wrote:Make your mind up, are they getting really hot or really warm?
Hi I will say they getting really hot.
Thank you.
26TM142 ADAM
Listening on 27.555 USB.
Trog

Post by Trog »

Hello dubo. Without wanting to state what could be obvious, you say the power cable looks fine and similar to your Yaesu cables but if the cable is not the original, it could be that this particular wire/cable has a much thinner core than is needed. Some cables look thick but only because the insulation is thick. The copper core could be thinner than expected and, if this is the case, it will warm up if the current is high. Can you not try using a larger diameter cable or even temporarily 'double up' the cable you are using? If it's not the cable then there's a fault with the rig (obviousy).
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

Buy bigger cables... ;)
dubo2319
Regular
Regular

Post by dubo2319 »

Trog wrote:Hello dubo. Without wanting to state what could be obvious, you say the power cable looks fine and similar to your Yaesu cables but if the cable is not the original, it could be that this particular wire/cable has a much thinner core than is needed. Some cables look thick but only because the insulation is thick. The copper core could be thinner than expected and, if this is the case, it will warm up if the current is high. Can you not try using a larger diameter cable or even temporarily 'double up' the cable you are using? If it's not the cable then there's a fault with the rig (obviousy).
Thank you for your suggestion, I will definitely try this.
Adam
26TM142 ADAM
Listening on 27.555 USB.
DummyLoad
Call Sign: G1COW

Post by DummyLoad »

Adam
If your power cable has inline fuses (hopefully it has) check that the fuses themselves and the fuseholder contacts are clean and making good contact.
Poor contacts in inline fuseholders can be the cause of intermittent power variations due to voltage drop.
Ross, Berkshire UK, IO91LJ
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Call Sign: Viper

Post by Transwarp »

1. Don't have the radio's power lead coiled or tied up in hoop or bundle.
2. Sensible length of the radio's power cable, not 5 meters long if it doesn't need to be.
3. Cables fuse holders are making good connections with the fuses and are tight.
4. Good solid connection of the radio's power lead to the PSU output terminals.
5. If the radio has a short power cable tail coming from it with a connector on to join up to the rest of it's power cable, make sure this is in good
condition and is a firm fit together.

If the radio's power cable is not a genuine one I'd replace it anyway, or make a new one with good quality cable and fuse holders. My power cable for my FT-450D is still in the box not used as I made up a custom one for shack use.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
dubo2319
Regular
Regular

Post by dubo2319 »

Hi guys.
Thank you for all your help.
This is what caused the heating problem.
Now I am looking to replace the cables as this are poorly made.
Adam
All the best 73's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
26TM142 ADAM
Listening on 27.555 USB.
spynappels
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: 2I0SEH

Post by spynappels »

It may be worth looking at putting some PowerPole connectors on, get the 45A rated ones for on the power supply and whatever ones best match the rating of the radio on the radio end. They make swapping rigs much easier and will easily cope with the currents you're drawing.
Trog

Post by Trog »

By the picture, it's obvious that those connectors cannot cope with the current (and/or there's a loose connection in there somewhere). :thumbdown: