Studio Condenser Mic and TS2000

A place to discuss all aspects of amateur radio operation.
Monsta
Top Poster
Top Poster

Studio Condenser Mic and TS2000

Post by Monsta »

Morning All,
I am trying to get this right, so was looking for Gurus to advise me

I have a Studio Condenser Mic and I want to run it to my Kenwood TS2000
Now I have never had one on here before and i would have thought that as long as i had a mixer with phantom power
I would be fine

So something Like

Condenser Mic --> Mixer with Phantom --> Kenwood TS2000 (Mic Socket)
<the mic socket i would break out the 2 PTT wires and use a thumb or bullet switch>

I have read in places that some use a box (impedence matcher??) between the Mic and the Mixer
is this absolutely necessary?

hopefully someone weill have experience particularly with the Kenwood and be able to advise me

PS the mic isn't a Heil (Its a standard studio 3 Pin XLR that needs Phantom)
10/11: Anytone AT-5555, President Lincoln - Astatic Audio
HF: Kenwood TS2000 ,Kenwood G707, Heil Goldline,
NoiseBoy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Studio Condenser Mic and TS2000

Post by NoiseBoy »

The mixer will be fine. I'm on my phone so can't check the specs but I imagine the TS2k will have a higher Z input on the back probably on a DIN plug with PTT on there too. I would use that as it'll sound better and be much neater. You don't want loads of cables hanging out the front of your rig.
ColinTelford
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by ColinTelford »

No impedance matching is required, the mixer will output line level signals, your radio is expecting to see a mic level signal....soooo.. all you need to do is keep an eye on your output levels.

You could if you want get a DI box to drop the level back to Mic level, or some mixers (Mackie for example) have a Line/Mic output switch on the back , personally i wouldn't be too bothered about that, just keep master output low.
Decco
Regular
Regular

Post by Decco »

Monsta it looks to me like the best way of wiring that setup would be to use the ACC2 Socket on the rear of the radio, thats the 13 pin DIN Plug on the rear! Pin 11 for you Audio in thats the positive/hot wire , Pin 13 is for PTT control without muting the audio just short this to ground to make radio TX (handswitch , footswitch , whatever floats your boat)and pin 12 is your ground. I think they are the only 3 pins you need.
Obviously you will be going from balanced to unbalanced so you need to wire the plug up accordingly otherwise its not going to work , now its been a while since I did this but pretty sure its just a case of joining the shield from the balanced line to the negative from the mic. There will be tons of info on how people have wired theres up but it's not rocket science.
I did the same thing as you on an IC-7000 and the audio reports were amazing, wiring the IC 7600 up like that this weekend , happy days bring on the big audio lol.

Watch this video all the way through and it will answer any questions you may have http://twit.tv/show/ham-nation/36
Ender2Rumason
Registered New User
Registered New User
Call Sign: wifi

Post by Ender2Rumason »

Decco wrote: 01 Jun 2012, 12:03 Monsta it looks to me like the best way of wiring that setup would be to use the ACC2 Socket on the rear of the radio, thats the 13 pin DIN Plug on the rear! Pin 11 for you Audio in thats the positive/hot wire , Pin 13 is for PTT control without muting the audio just short this to ground to make radio TX (handswitch , footswitch , whatever floats your boat)and pin 12 is your ground. I think they are the only 3 pins you need.
Obviously you will be going from balanced to unbalanced so you need to wire the plug up accordingly otherwise its not going to work , now its been a while since I did this but pretty sure its just a case of joining the shield from the balanced line to the negative from the Condenser mic. There will be tons of info on how people have wired theres up but it's not rocket science.
I did the same thing as you on an IC-7000 and the audio reports were amazing, wiring the IC 7600 up like that this weekend , happy days bring on the big audio lol.

Watch this video all the way through and it will answer any questions you may have http://twit.tv/show/ham-nation/36
Nice post. I may not have golden ears or know a lot about mics, but the RV10 sounds way more balanced to me.