Frequencies & protocols etc

Scanning radio frequencies in Yorkshire & Lincolnshire
Post Reply
TV31
New User
New User
Posts: 3
Joined: 01 Jan 2016, 11:35
Call Sign: TD31

Frequencies & protocols etc

Post by TV31 » 01 Jan 2016, 17:34

Hi all
I've literally no knowledge within the CB radio world, but I'm looking at getting into the CB radio world and live near Wakefield. I've read various frequencies such as pub watch/shop watch and not familiar with them - are they like chat channels or one security operatives use? Is there like a main channel for enthusiasts? I was speaking to a relative who did it in the 80s and mentioned these emergency channels etc.

Also, it'd be nice to monitor the local taxi frequencies, assuming they are on CB - is there a directory of their channels? And is there a shout up channel that most users will have on?

Sorry for coming across in such a amateur way, but I signed up cos' I wanted to gain much more of an interest and knowledge!

Thanks and happy new year

TV31.

User avatar
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1160
Joined: 27 Mar 2011, 14:06
Location: England

Re: Frequencies & protocols etc

Post by Excalibur » 02 Jan 2016, 02:25

TV31 wrote:Hi all
I've literally no knowledge within the CB radio world, but I'm looking at getting into the CB radio world and live near Wakefield. I've read various frequencies such as pub watch/shop watch and not familiar with them - are they like chat channels or one security operatives use? Is there like a main channel for enthusiasts? I was speaking to a relative who did it in the 80s and mentioned these emergency channels etc.

Also, it'd be nice to monitor the local taxi frequencies, assuming they are on CB - is there a directory of their channels? And is there a shout up channel that most users will have on?

Sorry for coming across in such a amateur way, but I signed up cos' I wanted to gain much more of an interest and knowledge!

Thanks and happy new year

TV31.

Hi and welcome to the TM1 forum.

There are a few differences to the systems that you are talking about above and if you want to receive them you will need different pieces of equipment.



CB radio is a two way radio service that does not require any sort of license to transmit, it's not really used by any businesses these days and more of a hobbyist use. A CB radio requires an antenna either on your house or in a car if mobile and a radio itself. CB radio can be a hit or miss with some areas being dead and others being lively with lots of activity on the channels. Check out the CB section of the forum for more details if you want to get into CB radio, they can recommend a starter radio and antenna.


Regarding monitoring taxi companies the taxi companies in your area will be on licensed frequencies that they have purchased for business use, You can listen to them on a radio scanner which is a device that allows you to receive radio signals in a certain frequency range, but does not have any sort of transmitter in it so you can not talk back to them. A radio scanner is a great start into radio as with many models you can receive CB, Airband (aircraft), business radio such as taxis and security, walkie talkies and much more.

The cheapest way to get into all this is via software defined radio, which is a radio that is controlled by a computer, the most popular being a RTL SDR dongle radio scanner that you plug into your computer/laptop and can receive signals on a on screen display tuning into them when they appear, these RTL SDR devices are incredibly cheap (around £10 from ebay/amazon) and can also receive digital radio signals as well as analog signals. It will allow you to monitor the radio spectrum in your area and decide if you want to go ahead and purchase a CB transmitter or a more expensive/sensitive scanner.


If CB isn't active in your area you can always apply for an amateur radio license which will allow you the use of many frequencies which are for radio hobbyist use and talk to other radio enthusiasts via radio repeaters or simplex (radio to radio), the test (foundation license) is multiple choice questions and is considered very easy to do. You can get an amateur radio license by visiting a local radio club and enroll on a amateur radio foundation course.


I hope this helps.

TV31
New User
New User
Posts: 3
Joined: 01 Jan 2016, 11:35
Call Sign: TD31

Re: Frequencies & protocols etc

Post by TV31 » 02 Jan 2016, 11:09

Thank you for this, appreciate it.
There are various Shop watch, Pubwatch frequencies where I live - what type of radio does this use? And could I transcive on this (not that I would!).

Is there any CB radio chat channels which are commonly used?

Matthew

User avatar
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1160
Joined: 27 Mar 2011, 14:06
Location: England

Re: Frequencies & protocols etc

Post by Excalibur » 02 Jan 2016, 18:20

TV31 wrote:Thank you for this, appreciate it.
There are various Shop watch, Pubwatch frequencies where I live - what type of radio does this use? And could I transcive on this (not that I would!).

Is there any CB radio chat channels which are commonly used?

Matthew
Shopwatch and pubwatch radios will be on licensed business channels that you can listen with on a scanner or a software defined radio, If you had a transceiver you could possibly speak back to them however it would be highly illegal and irresponsible which I do not recommend doing.

The most commonly used channels on CB radio will be channel 19 the calling channel, there are also some SSB (single side band) which is a different radio mode to FM which is channel 27 SSB I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is the calling channel.

User avatar
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 4536
Joined: 25 Sep 2011, 18:33

Re: Frequencies & protocols etc

Post by kr0ne » 02 Jan 2016, 18:59

Excalibur wrote:Hi and welcome to the TM1 forum..................I hope this helps.
Nice post Excalibur! :)

User avatar
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1160
Joined: 27 Mar 2011, 14:06
Location: England

Re: Frequencies & protocols etc

Post by Excalibur » 02 Jan 2016, 20:07

kr0ne wrote:
Excalibur wrote:Hi and welcome to the TM1 forum..................I hope this helps.
Nice post Excalibur! :)
Thank you :)

User avatar
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9707
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 21:20
Call Sign: 26TM157
Location: MK-UK

Re: Frequencies & protocols etc

Post by Admiral » 03 Jan 2016, 12:00

Excalibur wrote: If you had a transceiver you could possibly speak back to them however it would be highly illegal and irresponsible which I do not recommend doing.
Not to mention mind numbingly stupid as there are some Town Centre Bobbies with a shopwatch radio in their pocket too.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

User avatar
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 4536
Joined: 25 Sep 2011, 18:33

Re: Frequencies & protocols etc

Post by kr0ne » 03 Jan 2016, 13:58

The main problem with talking back is that, while it seems hilariously good fun at the time, all it really does is motivate the users to migrate to digital systems which are much harder to listen in to... ultimately, you only harm yourself. :(

User avatar
Admiral
Legend
Legend
Posts: 9707
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 21:20
Call Sign: 26TM157
Location: MK-UK

Re: Frequencies & protocols etc

Post by Admiral » 03 Jan 2016, 17:39

And talking back or making fart noises as per 2m repeaters on a digital system is that they then go encrypted and probably gone for good.
Winner of the 2017 IBTL 'Summer Sizzler' competition

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests