York scanning

Scanning radio frequencies in Yorkshire & Lincolnshire
scanhermit

Re: York scanning

Post by scanhermit »

Anyone know if York OAP wardens have gone digital? Not heard em for a couple of days. Come to think of it, Wetherby YOI has gone quiet too. If so, I'm left with skip hire and taxis.
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Panic over on the wardens, just heard em. Jury still out on the YOI.
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

I believe the wardens can become very quite sometimes then then at some hours they burst into life. the trick is to leave the scanner running instead of just tuning in at certain times
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

the trick is to leave the scanner running instead of just tuning in at certain times
I'm limited by work hours and I don't have a recording mechanism rigged up. I tend to run it in the car and while I'm making me tea, or in the morning while getting ready. It does me OK.

Another day with no YOI. I can usually hear them doing the count, moving people and the like. Not a peep now so I think they've gone digi. Hey ho - SDR beckons. Whenever I'm somewhere like Leeds or Birmingham, there's lots to choose from. In Brum I was getting the prayer calls and mosque sermons. I think I picked up the mic from a presentation nearby as well cos I could hear some dude giving a speech.

North Yorkshire is slimmer pickings, sadly.
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

scanhermit wrote:
the trick is to leave the scanner running instead of just tuning in at certain times
I'm limited by work hours and I don't have a recording mechanism rigged up. I tend to run it in the car and while I'm making me tea, or in the morning while getting ready. It does me OK.

Another day with no YOI. I can usually hear them doing the count, moving people and the like. Not a peep now so I think they've gone digi. Hey ho - SDR beckons. Whenever I'm somewhere like Leeds or Birmingham, there's lots to choose from. In Brum I was getting the prayer calls and mosque sermons. I think I picked up the mic from a presentation nearby as well cos I could hear some dude giving a speech.

North Yorkshire is slimmer pickings, sadly.
That's fair enough the. If you do have a hand portable scanner and a desktop pc at home you can easily set up a recording system just with an audio cable and a piece of software called "vox recorded" so while your at work you can come home and all the MP3 files are stamped with a date of the activity heard on it. this is what I do for one of my scanenrs and has proven useful for when im not at home.

Also yes around here at YORk seems to be little analoge activity on UHF beside wardens and some other services it just seems to be DMR, pager systems, digital links and traffic lights.

Birhmingham sounds interesting that you get mosque sermons on UHF I did a post a few motnsh back where I reported my findings on the internet that there are several UHF networks for mosques around england to broadcast their religious messages to people who are unable to leave their homes ( eg sick or disabled ) seems many use high power UHF transmitters and there are rebranded baofeng radios being marketed as the mosque recievers.
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

seems many use high power UHF transmitters and there are rebranded baofeng radios being marketed as the mosque recievers.
The poor sods are probably being charged a premium for em while an ebay'd basic scanner would do the job just as well.
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

scanhermit wrote:
seems many use high power UHF transmitters and there are rebranded baofeng radios being marketed as the mosque recievers.
The poor sods are probably being charged a premium for em while an ebay'd basic scanner would do the job just as well.
yeah does seem a shame as you can see from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Islamic-Mosqu ... 19c9699917 that uniden ubc 360 should only cost around £80 but its being sold for around £110 seems a rip off
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

I might head to Bradford with a megaphone and enlighten the faithful as to how they're getting fleeced.
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

Funny...just heard French on the York OAP wardens freq (456.5).

I'm wondering if there is some international event on. If not, it's impressive UHF skip.
kr0ne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kr0ne »

scanhermit wrote:Panic over on the wardens, just heard em.
Phew!
scanhermit

Post by scanhermit »

I know. "Hold the front page!!" :lol:
yorkdannyb
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: LIMA1

Post by yorkdannyb »

scanhermit wrote:Are those freq ranges or pairs, ydb? Nice work, BTW.
The frequencies are pairs and yes took me a while but finally cracked some frequencies :)
yorkdannyb
Regular
Regular
Call Sign: LIMA1

Post by yorkdannyb »

Anyone wanna donate a working radio they no longer need doesn't have to be great but would appreciate the support as i would like to program a couple of radios to our pmr network to get more coverage but having radios in more areas.. Thanks in advance.
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

gb3hg is down (thirsk area)
Excalibur
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Excalibur »

There is been lots of abuse on the VHF frequencies. Many companies are playing music down their licensed channels and also swearing.

Also soon I will go to York City centre with my Pmr446 gear and see how many contacts I can make with the local busineses and leisure users there.

Also I will use my puxing to scanning other frequencies as well.