National Railway Network Frequencies

Scanning radio frequencies in Yorkshire & Lincolnshire
Jonjo Robb
Regular
Regular

National Railway Network Frequencies

Post by Jonjo Robb »

Hello,

I have come across a page about the National Railway Network Frequencies here: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2800

There are 28 nationwide frequencies, and I was wondering if anyone knew if they are still in use? Just wondering whether or not it would be worth me programming these frequencies into a scan bank the next time I use a train.

If it helps, I am situated near Keighley, Leeds. The local steam railway use PMR446 Channel 8 for shunting operations, but that is as much as I know in terms of listening to trains, as well as the mainline stations on 453.550.

Thanks,
Jonjo
SecretSignalsUK

Re: National Railway Network Frequencies

Post by SecretSignalsUK »

I think some have moved over to secure systems ?
YB135
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by YB135 »

I'm also in Keighley, will let you know if I hear anything :)
YB135
mikecharlie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by mikecharlie »

Try Here

[url]http://spectruminfo.ofcom.org.uk/spectr ... %20licence[/url

THe above are MPT 1327 networked, so yopull need to put all of those in for your area to see which ones you can get.

Also try searching bwtween 454.000 to 455.000

They are still active. at least up here.
Radio, wall of sound, coming up from my tower...
Radio, wall of sound, 24 hours of power...........!!!
ChrisUK

Post by ChrisUK »

Dont know what is on them Freq's, unless it is the back to back radio's we use at weekends on the renewals job's....but i thought they were on 172Mhz.
You would be better off listerning to the In Cab Radio's as they communicate with the associated signal box's up in the 454Mhz segment and then you can find out if a train has broke down...if someone has jumpped in front of it or if there are any signalling faileures, that will hold up your journey.
RADIOS: Kenwood TS-140S, President Lincoln, Kenwood TMD-700e.
AERIAL'S:Antron 99, Spitfire 3Ele, Diamond X510, Spinger(Red).
milly

Post by milly »

York zone control channel is on 205.83750 and Doncaster zone on 206.10000. The control channels are time shared with several controllers in each zone.
"Search engine? How do I find that?"
"Sod it, let someone else do it"
Andrew
Banned
Banned

Post by Andrew »

Cab Secure Radio is only used by about 4 out of the 26 train operating companies (passenger only) It's used in in Glasgow (ScotRail Glasgow Suburban / Ayrline electric trains, the diesels use NRN) Southwest Trains, MerseyRail and one other which I can't remember). It is only used in the Glasgow / Livepool / London area's, or trains originating or terminating in those area's. There is tests being done for GSM coverage which means it will soon go off analogue, both CSR and NRN (National Rail Network)
Banned Account
Jonjo Robb
Regular
Regular

Post by Jonjo Robb »

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies - I will certainly add those frequencies to a scan and see what I can get. I guess I will only hear the Train side of the communication, as I don't think I am near any of the Transmitters.

Thanks,
Jonjo
YB135
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by YB135 »

JonJo you can hear it from up at Keighley Gate, top of Riddlesden
YB135
Jonjo Robb
Regular
Regular

Post by Jonjo Robb »

Hi M6AXL,

What frequency have you heard from there? - I am in the Worth Valley so I am not completely Line Of Site with Keighley Gate - I have always wondered what is transmitted from there!

Thanks for your help,
Jonjo
YB135
Radio Addict
Radio Addict

Post by YB135 »

Jonjo, you can hear absolutly everything from up there. I use that spot for contesting and have worked Europe on 10w UHF no problems. You can hear alot up there, just got to filter out the rubbish. The transmitter there is pretty redundant only bradford council use it now for cctv and microwave link. If you ever want to go up there for a good listen let me know and I'll meet you there, its only 2mins from my gaf
YB135
Jonjo Robb
Regular
Regular

Post by Jonjo Robb »

Thanks, I will have to consider going up there when I have the time!

Jonjo
Jonjo Robb
Regular
Regular

Post by Jonjo Robb »

Well, I walked up to highest place near me - the Trig Point just north of Ovenden Moor Wind Farm. It is at 451 meters/1479 feet above sea level. I could see for miles - and hear the NATS Preston Transmitter full strength!

Unfortunately, All I got on the most of the NRN frequencies was interference, white noise. On some of the frequencies there was what sounded to be data bursts, about two seconds long and one after the other. It did not sound like the MPT-1327 control channel of the local Bus Company.

There is a transmitter up there by the turbines - whether I was receiving interference from that I don't know. If that transmitter is connected to the turbines, I also don't know. Its not a phone or Tetra Mast. Did not look like a TV one either.

Thanks,
Jonjo
andygoole
Regular
Regular

Post by andygoole »

Holy Thread revival!
Still worth looking at these. Heard 205.675 active with voices last night
GRE PSR-255
Oregon Scientific TP329 (x2)
AOR ar8200 (sold)
Alinco DJ-X3e
Realistic Pro2006
Uniden UBC75XLT
Uniden UBC3500XLT
Baofeng UV5R + Qualette (Blue)
Baofeng Bf-888s (x2)
Baofeng UV-5B
Licence: Short Range VHF Marine
Licence: Simple UK Light
neil57uk1

Post by neil57uk1 »

NRN still hanging on in the North of Britain but GSM-R will fully take over soon.

205.675 is normally the shunting/yard control channel.